From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Looking for full Open Genera paper (Withington, McKay, et. al.)
I know about the article "The Symbolics Virtual Lisp Machine" by
P.T.Withington, Scott McKay, Gary Palter, and Paul Robertson which can
be found at

  <http://pt.withy.org/publications/VLM.html>.

However, this is only an "extended abstract" which at various points
makes references to "the full paper." It is noted that the paper was
submitted to PLDI '94 but it doesn't seem to be part of the PLDI '94
proceedings.

Can anyone help me in locating the full paper?

Thanks,
Edi.

From: Scott McKay
"Edi Weitz" <···@agharta.de> wrote in message
···················@bird.agharta.de...
> I know about the article "The Symbolics Virtual Lisp Machine" by
> P.T.Withington, Scott McKay, Gary Palter, and Paul Robertson which can
> be found at
>
>   <http://pt.withy.org/publications/VLM.html>.
>
> However, this is only an "extended abstract" which at various points
> makes references to "the full paper." It is noted that the paper was
> submitted to PLDI '94 but it doesn't seem to be part of the PLDI '94
> proceedings.
>
> Can anyone help me in locating the full paper?
>
> Thanks,
> Edi.

Tucker reminded me that we never actually completed the
paper because the conference committee didn't accept the
abstract.  This is really too bad because, with all due humility,
the VLM was actually wickedly cool, had some really neat
implementation tricks, and just worked way better than it
had any right to.  Despite the fact that it was too little, too
late for Symbolics, it was actually one of the most-fun things
I had the good fortune to work on.

I certainly agree that the mismatch between memory and
CPU performance supports the conclusion of the paper --
tagged memory and micro-programming would probably
be beneficial in a big way.  (Of course, given how many
stupid buffer overrun viruses there are these days, it's
hard to believe that anybody can still think that not having
manifestly-typed data is defensible.)
From: Andreas Holz
"Scott McKay" <···········@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<························@attbi_s01>...
> "Edi Weitz" <···@agharta.de> wrote in message
> ···················@bird.agharta.de...
> > I know about the article "The Symbolics Virtual Lisp Machine" by
> > P.T.Withington, Scott McKay, Gary Palter, and Paul Robertson which can
> > be found at
> >
> >   <http://pt.withy.org/publications/VLM.html>.
> >
> > However, this is only an "extended abstract" which at various points
> > makes references to "the full paper." It is noted that the paper was
> > submitted to PLDI '94 but it doesn't seem to be part of the PLDI '94
> > proceedings.
> >
> > Can anyone help me in locating the full paper?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Edi.
>
> Tucker reminded me that we never actually completed the
> paper because the conference committee didn't accept the
> abstract.  This is really too bad because, with all due humility,
> the VLM was actually wickedly cool, had some really neat
> implementation tricks, and just worked way better than it
> had any right to.  Despite the fact that it was too little, too
> late for Symbolics, it was actually one of the most-fun things
> I had the good fortune to work on.
>
> I certainly agree that the mismatch between memory and
> CPU performance supports the conclusion of the paper --
> tagged memory and micro-programming would probably
> be beneficial in a big way.  (Of course, given how many
> stupid buffer overrun viruses there are these days, it's
> hard to believe that anybody can still think that not having
> manifestly-typed data is defensible.)

A little bit OT:

And it is still very disappointing, that a OG-VLM is not available on
other architectures today.

Andreas
From: Fred Gilham
> And it is still very disappointing, that a OG-VLM is not available
> on other architectures today.

There is a DARPA program to investigate "cognitive architectures",
meaning architectures considered at all levels (hardware, software,
system etc.) that are suitable for "cognitive" (that is, AI-related)
functions.

This may result in revisiting some of the ideas that got lost in the
PC / stock hardware phase.

--
Fred Gilham                                    ······@csl.sri.com
Do remember you're there to fuddle him.  From the way some of you
From: Scott McKay
································@posting.google.com...
> > "Edi Weitz" <···@agharta.de> wrote in message
> > ···················@bird.agharta.de...
> > > I know about the article "The Symbolics Virtual Lisp Machine" by
> > > P.T.Withington, Scott McKay, Gary Palter, and Paul Robertson which can
> > > be found at
> > >
> > >   <http://pt.withy.org/publications/VLM.html>.
> > >

> A little bit OT:
>
> And it is still very disappointing, that a OG-VLM is not available on
> other architectures today.

I have well-placed sources that tell me that there may soon be
another architecture on which the VLM will be implemented.

I don't know all the details.
From: Massimo Spataro
Hi , Andreas

I have investigate for log time all special feature of Simbolics LM and i
hve collect more doc and rebuild old doc into pdf version
Now work around source for make on C LM emulator of symbolics for run
memory-Image (36Bitworld)

See into
ftp://ftp.lispmachine.org/pub/symbolics
ftp://ftp.lispmachine.org/pub/chaosnet