From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Lispworks + OpenGL puzzle
One LW problem down, one to go:

Anybody using OpenGL from LW? Don't know if it matters, but under win32?

I am pretty confused right now. The immediate problem is that a call to
gluBuild2DMipmaps causes an undefined error function. needless to say,
not under AllegroCL.

What makes this esp. confusing is that I have normally run under LW
without loading opengl32.dll or glu32.dll, both of which I load for ACL.
  Not sure where the OpenGL was coming from, guess they link LW itself
with the corresponding lib, or LW itself loads the dll on start-up.
Anyway, having my code explicitly load ogl and glu (same thing I do in
ACL) does not change anything.

Anyone know about using the GLU lib from Lw?

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Cello/LW! [was Re: Lispworks + OpenGL puzzle]
That was easy. I had "OPENGL" specified as the module in the FFI
definition, instead of "GLU". Duhhhh. ACL ignores that declaration, so I
got away with it.

On to OS X*. (win32 CLisp and Corman fans cordially invited to look at
porting to those. Corman's strong FFI should make it easy, tho my code
uses UFFI and last I looked (years ago) UFFI did not do Corman. I
started on the effort and gave up, forget why, but I should have some
partial UFFI/Corman code somewhere.)

kt

* Nah, I better clean up what I have and make it shareable to a select
few who have volunteered to attempt various ports. OS X looks like hell
on wheels for developers not using C/Objective-C, so I might be
descending into a black hole with this next move.

--
http://tilton-technology.com

From: Bulent Murtezaoglu
Subject: Re: Lispworks + OpenGL puzzle

    KT> One LW problem down, one to go: Anybody using OpenGL from LW?
    KT> Don't know if it matters, but under win32?

I am.  I code under linux but deliver under win32.  I use the bundled
example lispworks fli (ffi) bindings under both.  Works just fine using
their instructions.

    KT> I am pretty confused right now. The immediate problem is that
    KT> a call to gluBuild2DMipmaps causes an undefined error
    KT> function. needless to say, not under AllegroCL.

If you are using what comes with lispworks, you want to check
[lispworksdir]/example/opengl/ufns.lisp to see if it is there.  If not
you can add it, and maybe tell them you had to.  It is there in my copy
of LWpro 4.3.6.

[...]
    KT> Anyone know about using the GLU lib from Lw?

I use it to get quadrics and maybe more.

See if you can get their examples to run first and then take it from
there.

BM
From: Kenny Tilton
Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:

>     KT> One LW problem down, one to go: Anybody using OpenGL from LW?
>     KT> Don't know if it matters, but under win32?
>
> I am.  I code under linux but deliver under win32.  I use the bundled
> example lispworks fli (ffi) bindings under both.  Works just fine using
> their instructions.
>
>     KT> I am pretty confused right now. The immediate problem is that
>     KT> a call to gluBuild2DMipmaps causes an undefined error
>     KT> function. needless to say, not under AllegroCL.
>
> If you are using what comes with lispworks, you want to check
> [lispworksdir]/example/opengl/ufns.lisp to see if it is there.  If not
> you can add it, and maybe tell them you had to.  It is there in my copy
> of LWpro 4.3.6.
>
> [...]
>     KT> Anyone know about using the GLU lib from Lw?
>
> I use it to get quadrics and maybe more.
>
> See if you can get their examples to run first and then take it from
> there.

Thx, Burlent. As per my other just now, it was a dopey typo ACL ignored.
btw, I did end up poking around LW directories and got distracted for
15min barking up this tree: the LW FFI parses gluBuild2DMipmaps into
glu-build2-dmipmaps, whereas by homebrew FFI autogenerator yields
glu-build-2D-mipmaps. "2-d" is not a bad abbreviation, but in the
context it is wrong. the best they can justify is glu-build-2-d-mipmaps.

I had started to think the only reason my other code worked was that I
happened to be using the same names as their opengl bindings, so I tried
their name for the func. No dice, of course.

thx again, kt.

--
http://tilton-technology.com

From: Kenny Tilton
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Thx, Burlent.

Bulent, I better put the keyboard down for the night. :)

kt