From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: Macros in Python...
...no flame war. Only a note that it's happening. ;)

http://www.nedbatchelder.com/code/cog/index.html

Pascal

--
Tyler: "How's that working out for you?"
Jack: "Great."

From: André Thieme
Subject: Re: Macros in Python...
Pascal Costanza wrote:

> ...no flame war. Only a note that it's happening. ;)
>
> http://www.nedbatchelder.com/code/cog/index.html

As long it is not integrated in the language itself and stays "only" an
add on it is probably good.
The only disadvantage could be:
if I don't want it I don't need to use it. But what if I want to use a
lib that makes extensive use of this tool? Then I am forced to work with it.
From: jan
Pascal Costanza <········@web.de> writes:

> ...no flame war. Only a note that it's happening. ;)
>
> http://www.nedbatchelder.com/code/cog/index.html

Macros?

I don't think so, not in the Lisp sense.

--
jan
From: Will Hartung
"jan" <······@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
··················@iprimus.com.au...
> Pascal Costanza <········@web.de> writes:
>
> > ...no flame war. Only a note that it's happening. ;)
> >
> > http://www.nedbatchelder.com/code/cog/index.html
>
> Macros?
>
> I don't think so, not in the Lisp sense.

No, it just looks more like an more interesting pre-processor than macros.
There didn't seem to be any evidence of being able to manipulate source code
the way that macros can, only the ability to embed scripts with generate
source code on the fly. Essentially what PHP does for HTML, this does for
source code. M4 12.0

I'd argue that is different from what macros do, as macros provide yet
another means of abstraction to the point of being able to change the syntax
of CL on the fly, something that this tool can not do.

Regards,

Will Hartung
(·····@msoft.com)
From: Pascal Costanza
jan wrote:

> Pascal Costanza <········@web.de> writes:
>
>>...no flame war. Only a note that it's happening. ;)
>>
>>http://www.nedbatchelder.com/code/cog/index.html
>
> Macros?
>
> I don't think so, not in the Lisp sense.

Greenspun's Tenth is always approached in small dosages. ;)

Pascal

From: Kenny Tilton
Pascal Costanza wrote:

> jan wrote:
>
>> Pascal Costanza <········@web.de> writes:
>>
>>> ...no flame war. Only a note that it's happening. ;)
>>>
>>> http://www.nedbatchelder.com/code/cog/index.html
>>

>> Macros?
>>
>> I don't think so, not in the Lisp sense.
>

> Greenspun's Tenth is always approached in small dosages. ;)

Yes. First they will groove on the meta-generation of code, then they
will want the compiler to handle it transparently without writing out
the intermediate code, then they will discover they need
destructuring-bind, and that that is easier with parentheses....doh!

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com