From: Chello
Subject: Book of lisp games
I have long noticed the complaints from some members of this newsgroup of
why lisp is not a more
popular programming language. I think it is mostly a function of the ways
peaple are introduced to it.
The best book in my mind introducing lisp is "Paradigms of AI Programming"
(PAIP) by Peder Norvig.
One reason it stands out is that it has a hands on practical approach
applying lisp to real problems.
The book I looked at today "Common lisp a gentle introduction to symbolic
comutation"
by David S. Touretzky is more introductory but introduses lisp as a
abstract language for
manipulating lists. By page 100 I still couln't input any text from a user
for example
I think if you want to encurage beginners, say teenagers, to start using
lisp you would need to
make it more fun and interactive.
Thus I thought I might write a book on writing smart computer games in
lisp.
I have already written a number of simple games.
Russian roulette, Hangman, Mastermind, Othello to mention a few.
As the order indicates the reader is introduced to simple programs and
gradually learns
how to write more advanced ones as he/she progesses.
Since most teenagers have something like dad's old work computer I need a
simple system.
Altso it is reasonable to assume that they dont have (or know they have)
lisp.
It should altso be able to run on both Windows and Linux.
Therefore I think introducing a CDROM with clisp, libraries, a simplified
installation
and some game source would be an idea.
For the introduction of the more complex games I think a process of
itterative improvement of
the games is appropriate for introducing lisp coding style.

Well enough intro.
What I want to know is if any of you have any old lisp games (text or
graphics)
that you could be interested in sharing with others. Classical board games
is great but a shooter
would altso be interesting. Code or references would be much appriciated.
(I already have PAIP and AIMA source)

John

(email: ··············@chello.no)

From: Will Hartung
Subject: Re: Book of lisp games
"Chello" <··············@chello.no> wrote in message
·····················@news.chello.no...
> Thus I thought I might write a book on writing smart computer games in
> lisp.

Heck, write a book on writing stupid computer games in Lisp.

Back In The Day I used to voraciously consume the various "101 Games in
BASIC" -esque books.

The glory days of spending endless hours in from of the TRS-80 typing in
games only to discover that they were buggy.

Game programming was The Way to learn computer programming, as it presented
all sorts of interesting computing problems in a approachable format.

Maze games, simple shooters, card games, etc. My friend and I wrote "rogue"
at least 3 different times in college, in FORTAN, Basic, and Pascal. None of
them ever made it to the point of being able to have monsters, we always ran
out of memory. My first attempt at "space invaders" was...interesting.

Nowadays, game interface seems to be as dominant or more dominant a domain
for development than actual games themselves.

Scrolling the checkerboard and prompting for "A8, B7" as a move is pretty
much unacceptable now.

But, if it were me, I'd make the games "extensible" so that the reader can
more easily add to them, I'd make them short so that they don't need to grok
1MB of source code, and I'd make them type the code in, as I think folks
learn better by punching this stuff in the computer rather than just
downloading the file, typing (load "game.lisp) (game) at the Listener.

But, that's me.

Regards,

Will Hartung
(·····@msoft.com)
From: Tom
I agree that a book like you imagine is/would be a very helpful resource. I
have been reading Computer Science Logo Style by Brian Harvey as a prep for
learning lisp. There is quite a bit of interaction and games type learning
involved. The three books in the series are also available in HTML format
for free as well at:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/
From: The only real Barbara Schwarz
Chello <··············@chello.no> wrote in message news:<················@news.chello.no>...

There is more abstract language by Dave Touretzky. You don't want to
miss what the porn and bomb-instructions guy has to say in his own
words in the logs as published by the www.religiousfreedomwatch.org

Barbara Schwarz (the only real one)

P.S. Postings with e-mail address ···············@emailaccount.com and
identities "Barbara_Schwarz", "the real Barbara Schwarz de Rothschild"
and "Truth Speaker 2" are not done by me. Those are forgeries of
criminal, Aids infected, gay lunatic Garry Lynn Scarff who is a
fanatical Dave Touretzky defender. Scarff persecutes me from thread to
thread often using my name as identity for those crimes (!) and
verbally assaults me, threatens me, harasses me, sexually harasses me,
tries to intimidate me, libels, insults and lies about me. He also
lied that he spoke to a roomate of mine in the Utah mental health
hospital. I never was in that hospital, but he probably escaped from
one. Scarff is active member of the gay WeHo "church", that according
to Scarff applaudes Scarffs lawless behavior against me. An ex-WeHo
member wrote me that this "church" sanctions and promotes dishonorable
behavior and that he and his friends were raped and drugged by one of
their active members, and that one of their active members murdered
others under the guise of "drug overdose". The ex-WeHo wrote that the
gay men make sexual innuendo during sermon and "church" leadership
doesn't see what's wrong with that.

Barbara Graham Warr, self-proclaimed "caplain" of the A.R.S. newsgroup
and snakepit, another David Touretzky promoter, is a DUI offender and
pleaded guilty to possession and manufacturing of prohibited weapon
under California penal code. She congratulated the WeHo "congregation"
accepting Scarff's criminal behaviors against me. However, she posted
before that there is no God. She also posts with stolen identity de
Rothschild. - For more, click on the below links.

Linda Anderson
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/andersenl1.html
Gerald Armstrong
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/armstrong1.html
Jim Beebe
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/beebej1.html
Graham Berry
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/berry.html
David Bird
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/birdd1.html
Tory Christman
http://religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/christmant4.html
Ursula Caberta
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/caberta.html
Ida Camburn
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/camburn1.html
Joe Cisar
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/cisarj1.html
Robert Clark
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/clark1.html
Elizabeth Ann Cox
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/coxea1.html
Mark Dallara
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/dallara1.html
Alexander Dvorkin
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/dvorkin1.html
Valerie Emanuel
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/emanuelv1.html
Steven Fishman
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/fishman1.html
Vickki Ford Cook
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/fordv1.html
Phil Georgi
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/jacobsen6.html
Scott Goehring
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/goehrings1.html
Roger Gonnet
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/gonnet1.html
Barbara Graham
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/graham1.html
Gregg Hagglund
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/hagglund1.html
Steve Hassan
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/false_exp/hassan1.html
Tilman Hausherr
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/hauser1.html
Andreas Heldal-Lund
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/lund1.html
Keith Henson
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/henson1.html
Deana Holmes
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/holmes1.html
Jeff Jacobsen
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/jacobsen1.html
Patrick Jost
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/jost1.html
Charlotte Kates
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/katesc1.html
Rod Keller
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/keller1.html
Steven Kent
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/false_exp/kent1.html
Arnie Lerma
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/lerma1.html
Joe Lynn
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/lynn1.html
Ted Mayett
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/mayett1.html
Frank Oliver
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/oliver.html
Kady O'Malley
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/omalley1.html
Zenon Panoussis
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/panoussis1.html
Ted Patrick
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/false_exp/patrick1.html
Michael Pattinson
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/pattinsonm1.html
Robert Peterson
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/peterson1.html
Bruce/Kathleen Pettycrew
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/pettycrew.html
Jesse Prince
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/prince1.html
Roland Rashleigh-Berry
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/rashleighb1.html
David Rice
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/riced.html
Fred Rice
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/ricef.html
Rick Ross
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/false_exp/rossr1.html
Karin Spaink
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/spaink1.html
David Touretzky
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/touretzky1.html
Alan Walter
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/walter1.html
Grady Ward
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/ward.html
Johan Wevers
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/weversj1.html
Hana/Jerry Whitfield
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/false_exp/whitfield1.html
Larry Wollersheim
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/wollersheim1.html
Sten-Arne Zerpe
http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/zerpesa1.html
From: Joe Marshall
···················@myway.com (The only real Barbara Schwarz) writes:

> There is more abstract language by Dave Touretzky. You don't want to
> miss what the porn and bomb-instructions guy has to say in his own
> words in the logs as published by the www.religiousfreedomwatch.org
[snipped]

A classic case of `Touretzky's Syndrome'.  Symptoms include logorrhea,
uncontrollable knee-jerks, and an overwhelming desire to measure the
electrical characteristics of garden vegetables.
From: Erik Winkels
Joe Marshall <···@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> ···················@myway.com (The only real Barbara Schwarz) writes:
>
>> There is more abstract language by Dave Touretzky. You don't want to
>> miss what the porn and bomb-instructions guy has to say in his own
>> words in the logs as published by the www.religiousfreedomwatch.org
> [snipped]
>
> A classic case of `Touretzky's Syndrome'.  Symptoms include
> logorrhea,

Which is the defecation of all rational thought from one's system?

This Barbara-person is fun!  Please stay a while, Barbara, and play with
us!
From: The only real Barbara Schwarz
Erik Winkels <·······@xs4all.nl> wrote in message news:<··············@xs4all.nl>...
> Joe Marshall <···@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> > ···················@myway.com (The only real Barbara Schwarz) writes:
> >
> >> There is more abstract language by Dave Touretzky. You don't want to
> >> miss what the porn and bomb-instructions guy has to say in his own
> >> words in the logs as published by the www.religiousfreedomwatch.org
> > [snipped]
> >
> > A classic case of `Touretzky's Syndrome'.  Symptoms include
> > logorrhea,
>
> Which is the defecation of all rational thought from one's system?
>

> This Barbara-person is fun!  Please stay a while, Barbara, and play with
> us!

Just wait till my "fans" from ARS (Touretzky fan's)show up here. You
probably never read disgusting language like that. I put ARS on the
header. In a few hours, hell will raise in this thread. The worst
rattlesnakes will crawl out of their pits and attach themselves here.
I know a lot about snake bites, that is why they can't harm me. :) But
you be better prepared.

But "fun" is what Dave Touretzky must have thought too. Then he
decided to harass me with a porn letter. I have zero tolerance for
such kind of pigish activities, and you should know that I just play
non-perverted games.

I have no "syndrome" but I am certainly upset that he is so above the
laws (even finds it not bad if Congress is taken out!) and that the
CMU continued to employ that perverted rat and mouse professor. He
claims to be free speech, but he and his friends are after my websites
as the devil behind the poor soul, and they lied to my ISPs to get the
sites removed.

DAVID TOURETZKY

David Touretzky's Discrimination
David Touretzky is employed by Carnegie Mellon University as a
research scientist. In addition to his participation in numerous other
hate activities, Touretzky spends an inordinate amount of time
engaging in religious and racial discrimination as part of his
on-going hate activities on the Internet. Below are quotes culled from
hundreds of hours of Touretzky's chat room writings (the culling is
still ongoing).

It appears that David Touretzky hides behind, and abuses, the policy
on academic freedom at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU). He seems to
believe that his position entitles him to unrestrained discrimination
against African Americans, and other ethnic groups, in addition to the
other derogatory information he spreads via his CMU website.

As you will see from the quotes beneath, David Touretzky is not a
person who makes the occasional discriminatory remark out of
ignorance. Quite the contrary, he spends several hours a day on a hate
channel engaged in a dedicated attack on religions and races while "at
work". The number of hours that Touretzky has dedicated to this
pursuit exceeds 300 hours in less than a year (more hours are being
calculated for the remaining years). We presume that Touretzky was
paid full salary while he spent those 300 hours spreading hate on the
internet, a fact that we assume should be of concern to his employers
at CMU as well as those government and private institutions that fund
Touretzky's considerable research grants.

Religious Freedom Watch does not tolerate racial discrimination and
the type of hate speech propagated by David Touretzky. We respect
Carnegie Mellon University and it is our opinion that Touretzky's
action is damaging CMU's reputation. We invite you to read the
statements Touretzky has made and decide for yourself whether or not
Touretzky should be allowed to continue his activities at the expense
of the taxpayer, and whether or not he should be considered a social
"expert" of any kind.

Technical Information:
Touretzky's postings to Usenet show that the organization he is
posting from is Carnegie Mellon University.

The chat logs that have been made available to Religious Freedom Watch
show that most of the time Touretzky logs into the chat room from
CMU.EDU.

Here is some of the technical information, directly from the chat
logs:

···@370af11b.2486bca.CS.CMU.EDU
···@307615a5.1a358005.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden-SP-1728.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden_SP-679.BOLTZ.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden-SP_9333.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden_SP_22147.NET.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden-SP-22245.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden-SP_22358.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden-SP_22326.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden-SP_22211.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden-SP_22456.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden_SP-22309.NET.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden_SP-22049.NET.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden_SP-22196.NET.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden_SP-22260.NET.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden_SP-22294.NET.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden_SP-3480.NET.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden_SP_31739.BOLTZ.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden_SP_39344.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden_SP_5338.NET.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden-SP-5339.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden_SP-5346.NET.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden-SP_5366.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden_SP_5382.NET.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden-SP.5410.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden-SP-5418.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden-SP_5482.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden_SP_5554.NET.CS.CMU.EDU
···@Hidden-SP_5618.CMU.EDU
DST = David Stuart Touretzky.

DISCRIMINATION AGAINST AFRICAN AMERICANS:
Part I
David Touretzky: "There should be a video game where you can beat
Rodney King."

Part II
David Touretzky: "Don't quote that scumbag Jesse Jackson, Tory, or
I'll puke in your lap."

Part III
David Touretzky: "I think we need a project to kick Oprah's ass."

Part IV
Rob Clark: "Senator Diane Watson, California State Senate."

David Touretzky: "Oh, she's a *state* senator. Did she get elected to
congress after that statement was made? So now she's their whore in
Washington?"

Rob Clark: "dst, no, now she's a congresscritter."

David Touretzky: "She is the former ambassador to Micronesia! and
she's black. I should have known. What are all the really st00000pid
congresswomen black?"

Part V
David Touretzky: "Washington DC is more disgusting than Harlem."

[Name Deleted]: "How and why is Harlem disgusting."

David Touretzky: "Disgusting as in rates of illegitimacy, drug abuse,
domestic abuse, shootings, prostitution, welfare culture. I think
Harlem has gotten better the last few years, but DC has not. White men
don't walk in Harlem at night."

[Name Deleted]: "Yes they do it is not and never was 'disgusting'.
What's disgusting is you, dst, for even calling it 'disgusting'. Some
of the greatest art and science in this country came from Harlem."

David Touretzky: "I know that Harlem was once a major cultural
center."

[[Name Deleted]: "I resent you saying Harlem is 'disgusting' dst and
you should be ashamed. Not was once still is, always was. I just think
it's wrong."

David Touretzky: "The great Harlem theaters and clubs have closed
although the Apollo is still around."

[Name Deleted]: "Why do you say Harlem is 'disgusting'."

David Touretzky: "For the same reason DC is disgusting."

[Name Deleted]: "And that is???"

David Touretzky: "If you wanna buy crack cocaine, go to Harlem or DC,
not Wall Street."

[Name Deleted]: "dst, cut to the quick here you [are] what's
disgusting?"

David Touretzky: "Doesn't DC has the highest murder rate in the
country? Or is it only second highest now?"

[Name Deleted]: "These are like the little racist pop-ups you see on
Neo nazi channels."

David Touretzky: "[name deleted] objects to my stating opinions, and
even more to my citing statistics."

[Name Deleted]: "dst, do the good one about how the niggers are
killing everyone. You have all those in pop-ups when you're on those
other channels, don't you? You know, the neo-nazi ones the white
supremacists ones you go on, dst, the niggers are just a problem."

David Touretzky: "Although, [name deleted], your remark about
'niggers' reminds me of an incident I'd been meaning to tell you
about. This happened quite a few years ago now."

[Name Deleted]: "Harlem is not disgusting."

David Touretzky: "Back before we were all posting on Usenet, we had a
local bulletin board system here at CMU. And one of those boards was
dedicated to no-holds-barred discussion."

[Name Deleted]: "That's racist dribble and frankly, I won't continue."

David Touretzky: "I asked on this board why we had no term that was
the black equivalent of 'white trash'. Because, you know, the N-word
was totally unsuitable. We needed some other term. A term that would
show that the speaker drew a deliberate distinction between people of
a certain skin color who behaved decently (as in 'decent white folk')
and those who behave badly (as in 'white trash')."

Rob Clark: "I have an equivalent as offensive as n-word term for black
trash. 'clarence thomas'."

David Touretzky: "So why don't we have equivalent terms for blacks?"

[Name Deleted]: "We do, dst."

David Touretzky: "And what would those terms be?"

[Name Deleted]: "You just don't know them. Human beings. It's really
deep in there, dst, maybe one day you'll get over it."

David Touretzky: "Living in trailers is a white thing.
Drive-by-shootings are a black thing etc. Anyway, here's the
interesting part of my story. A colleague of mine, from Texas, took
grave offense at my inquiry. He said that the reason people say 'WHITE
trash' is to distinguish it from ordinary trash, which is ASSUMED to
be black. So even "white trash" is an anti-black term. Personally, I
think we need a term for 'black trash' so that people can express
disapproval of a subculture without appearing to denounce an entire
ethnic group. I also think 'white trash' is a useful and appropriate
term."

Part VI
David Touretzky: "... we have a high infant mortality rate for a
developed country, but it's not because middle class people's babies
are dying. It's because of crack whores giving birth to high risk
premies."

[Name Deleted]: "dst, why do you use language like that?"

David Touretzky: "I'm just telling the truth."

[Name Deleted]: "the truth you are telling is that, despite all your
great intelligence and capacity and humor, you are, so it seems, under
it all and hateful racist."

David Touretzky: "maybe [you] know something about crack whores that I
don't. ... but if you want to talk about race.... infant mortality in
the US is much higher for blacks than for whites. I have no idea what
the racial breakdown of crack whores is."

[Name Deleted]: "there are no "crack babies" first of all that term is
a misnomer and medically incorrect."

David Touretzky: "I'm sure that blacks are over-represented in that
profession, but in terms of absolute numbers, I don't know."

[Name Deleted]: "so, it's about class then."

[Name Deleted]: "dst, you really take yourself down when you use
language like that. classism IS a form of racism."

David Touretzky: "it's your right to not like my language."

[Name Deleted]: "dst, it's not that I don't like it. It's what it says
about you that I find, well, very disappointing. I guess I'd expect
more from you."

David Touretzky: "I'm not creepy. I'm just impatient with people who
run down this country."

[Name Deleted]: "... but using language like that is inflammatory it
invites rebuke demands it."

David Touretzky: "you wanna defend crack whores?"

[Name Deleted]: "yup."

David Touretzky: "Go ahead. I'm listening."

[Name Deleted]: "they are saints. first, they are sex workers women
who are living, trying to make a way in a brutal world they are people
responding to conditions that are totally out of their control
sometimes and come from long stading problems, often going back to
home life lack there of many are victims of abuse they are all human
beings and they find themselves in this place and someone introduces
them to the idea of being a prostitute. So this name calling of "crack
whores" is first and foremost a cry of pain, sort of like road rage
and this langue of "crack whores, crack babies (which don't exist),
welfare queens" it's not just classist, but it's also racist one is
contained in the other."

David Touretzky: "Why do you say crck babies don't exist?"

[Name Deleted]: "it's my understanding that more recent research
disproves the original ideas of what was a "crack baby."

David Touretzky: "disproves it how? The stats on premature birth are
pretty clear."

[Name Deleted]: "the addictive properties of the drug are not passed
along from Mother to Child as they were thought when the original term
was put forward. it's not premature so "crack baby" is not a valid
term."

David Touretzky: "a baby who is born not-premature or underweight, and
not addicted to any drug, would not result in high medical costs."

David Touretzky: "but there are babies who run up $500,000 in hospital
costs because of their medical problems, which they wouldn't have if
their mother wasn't a crack whore."

[Name Deleted]: "it's a racist term. get it f***ing straight crack
babies and crack whores is racist crap bullshit and I will rebuke that
kind of racist hate speech as long as I live."

David Touretzky: "you should listen to kady [O'Malley]. I'm not
racist, I'm classist. And they're NOT equivalent."

[Name Deleted]: "YES bullshit, dst that is such crap since Class is
based on race don't run that specious line, dst. come to terms with
your own hate and racist heart."

David Touretzky: "that URL you posted was an article from 1992. And
it's just an AP piece, not a serious scientific article."

[Name Deleted]: "so what? read the lasttest info for youself. that's
HOW long that term went out of style -- dst, you're still in bell
bottoms, highwaters, that's yesterdays racist stuff."

David Touretzky: "well for one thing, the article looks only at babies
who survive long enough to make it out of the hospital."

[Name Deleted]: "the dead ones dont' matter, do they."

David Touretzky: "if they die after spending a month in NICU, they
cost hundreds of thousands."

[Name Deleted]: "under it all is the economic, on that agree, but
keeping it that way involves, indisputably, racist practices like it
or not, not just racist, but always racist and that dst's speech is
both classist, which is seems strnagly proud of, and racists."

David Touretzky: "Larry Elder says blacks are more racist than whites.
... Well yelling "racist" doesn't advance your argument."

[Name Deleted]: "ok, so then were shall I start to just show you how
creapy and hatful you are. Hateful as in "crack whores who are running
everything."

David Touretzky: "I mean, who cares if a crack whore's kid is retarded
because of alocohol abuse instead of cocaine abuse? The kid is still
fucked. ... there are more whites than blacks on welfare in this
country."

[Name Deleted]: "oh so what, dst. drop it ok."

David Touretzky: "I don't think you're calling me a hateful racist
because of some minor detail."

[Name Deleted]: "dst, that you do not know shows only the depths of
your ignorance and need to think really deeply about this."

DISCRIMINATION AGAINST THE SALVATION ARMY:
"... the Salvation Army ... buncha fuckheads."

DISCRIMINATION AGAINST HISPANICS:
"Man, Hispanics are fucked up, which is why they're still working
class. Dipshits."

DISCRIMINATION AGAINST CHINESE:
"It would be cheaper to just buy your replacement organs from executed
Chinese."

CONCERNING ABORTION & INFANTICIDE:
David Touretzky: "Maybe they'll ban partial birth abortion though. Not
that I think they should. Hell, I'm for post-partum abortion!
Retro-active abortion! Up until, say, the age of six months."

  [ Page 1 ] [ Page 2 ] [ Page 3 ] [ Page 4 ] [ Page 5 ] [ Page 6 ] [
Page 7 ] [ Page 8 ] [ Page 9 ] [ Page 10 ]

 Home  |  Latest News  |  Anti-Religious Extremists  |  Hate Groups  |
 Influence of Hate  |  Experts  |  False Experts?  |  Hate Crimes &
The Law  |  Whistleblowers  |  Articles  |  Combating Hate

For the truth about religion:
Buddhism, Christianity, Catholicism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism,
Scientology, What is Scientology?, Scientology Theology General
From: Dave Bird
In<····························@posting.google.com>, Barbara Squawks:
>Erik Winkels <·······@xs4all.nl> wrote...
>>
>> Joe Marshall <···@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

>> > [snipped]
>> >
>> > A classic case of `Touretzky's Syndrome'.  Symptoms include
>> > logorrhea,
>>
>> Which is

   Logorrhea, a.k.a. Lipschitz Disease:  verbal diarrhoea.

--
 FUCK THE SKULL OF HUBBARD,  AND BUGGER THE DWARF  HE RODE IN ON!!
 8====3  (O 0)    GROETEN --- PRINTZ XEMU EXTRAWL   no real OT has
          |n|    (COMMANDER,  FIFTH INVADER FORCE)   ever existed
 A society without a religion is like a maniac without a chainsaw.
From: Alan Crowe
john.thingstad quested:
> What I want to know is if any of you have any old lisp
> games (text or graphics) that you could be interested in
> sharing with others. Classical board games is great but a
> shooter would altso be interesting. Code or references
> would be much appriciated.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/8/29/72710/3408

Very simple whack-a-mole game. As the comment:

    next thing to learn about: defstruct

suggests, the coding style is "Enthusiasm is mightier than
ignorance". At the 165 lines of code it is a start, not a
finish, but I think that is what you are looking for.

What I have discovered since is that one can put a time-out
on the xlib:event-case, and wrap it in a loop, so that the
program sniffs *standard-input* with listen ten times a
second. So the game (or whatever you are writing) is
running, and refreshing its windows in response to expose
events, but one has a read-eval-print loop running inside
it, so that one can continue writing it, while it is
playing.

For a long time I vaguely knew this was possible in theory
but I didn't bother with it because I thought it was
impractical. After all, one is sure to make a mistake
causing a uncontinuable error. After that, there is nothing
left to do but to abort to the top level.

Then I discovered restart-case

(do ((time 0 (+ time 0.1))
	 (status 'pause (xlib:event-case
		       (display :force-output-p t
				:discard-p t
				:timeout 0.1)
		       (:exposure()
				 'run)
		       (:button-press()
				     'end)
		       (:key-press()
				  'end))))
	((eq status 'end)
	 (xlib:unmap-window window)
	 (xlib:destroy-window window)
	 (xlib:close-display display))
	(declare (special time))
	(when (member status '(run nil))
	  (tagbody
	   top
	   (restart-case
	    (when (listen)
	      (progn
		(print (eval (read)))
		(force-output)))
	    (try\ again ()
		   :report "Evaluate another form."
		   (go top))
	    (shrug()
		  :report "Continue drawing."
		  nil)))
	  (restart-case
	   (draw window grackon *raw-image* 10 10)
	   (skip()
		:report "Skip drawing command"
		nil))))

After I have tidied this code I could think about making it
a lot more sophisticated. For example, when changing the
drawing command, on is not obliged to throw the old one
away. So one could wrap the call to draw in handler that
knows where to look for the stack of previous drawing
functions, and by popping the stack and retrying, it could
automatically fall back to the last working version, without
the game pausing while the programmer choses between the
skip and abort restarts.

This inverts the normal order of things. Instead of first
writing the program, then running it, one first sets the
program running then one settles down to writing it.

> I have long noticed the complaints from some members of
> this newsgroup of why lisp is not a more popular
> programming language. I think it is mostly a function of
> the ways peaple are introduced to it.

Lisp is not widely used because programmers are frightened
least they rip the fabric of the space-time continuum. They
prefer to rely on the magic numbers in the elf binaries to
protect them.

Alan Crowe
CL puts the fun into function.
From: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Andr=E9_Thieme?=
This is an excellent idea. I would be very interested to read this book.
Maybe you decide to follow the idea of some authors and offer some
chapters of the book online. In the Lisp World this is for example Peter
Seibel (http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/), which by the way is also very
practical oriented.

If you would give some status report I could be interested to write a
little game for you :)
From: Joe Marshall
Chello <··············@chello.no> writes:

> Thus I thought I might write a book on writing smart computer games
> in lisp.
>
> What I want to know is if any of you have any old lisp games (text
> or graphics) that you could be interested in sharing with
> others.  Classical board games is great but a shooter would also be
> interesting.  Code or references would be much appriciated.

Gobblet ( http://www.gobblet.com/ ) is a new board game that may be of
interest.  It is played on a 4x4 board.  Each player has twelve
cups.  The cups come in four different sizes, so each player gets
three cups of each size.  One player is black, the other white.  The
board starts empty.  On his move, a player may place one of his
unplayed cups on an empty space on the board, or he may move one of
his cups on the board to a different space provided that a) the cup is
exposed, and b) the target space contains no cup of the same size or
larger.  So you can cover your opponent (or your own!) pieces.

A player wins when he has four exposed pieces in a row.  Once you
touch a piece, you must move it.  You can lose if moving a piece
exposes an opponent piece that finishes a four in a row.  (There are
some more rules to handle the edge cases, but this is the gist of it.)

The game is quite good.  It takes less time to learn than to read the
above paragraph, the board is tiny, but the fanout of positions is
astoundingly high:  on the order of fifty positions per ply.  The game
involves skill, memory, and logical deduction.  A simple game can get
quite interesting real quickly.  Games rarely last more than 5-10
minutes.

For kicks I wrote a game engine to play Gobblet.  It is written in PLT
Scheme, but should be trivially portable to Common Lisp.  The source
code is available at

   http://home.comcast.net/~prunesquallor/random/gobblet/

--
~jrm
From: Joe Marshall
Joe Marshall <···@ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> For kicks I wrote a game engine to play Gobblet.  It is written in PLT
> Scheme, but should be trivially portable to Common Lisp.  The source
> code is available at
>
>    http://home.comcast.net/~prunesquallor/random/gobblet/

And as is typical, I blew the URL.  It's really at

    http://home.comcast.net/~prunesquallor/gobblet/

but I put a page up at the bogus URL anyway.

--
~jrm
From: John Thingstad
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:20:43 -0500, Joe Marshall <···@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> For kicks I wrote a game engine to play Gobblet.  It is written in PLT
> Scheme, but should be trivially portable to Common Lisp.  The source
> code is available at
>
>    http://home.comcast.net/~prunesquallor/random/gobblet/
>
> --
> ~jrm

Thank you. I altso looked into your chess game code.
If you have any more games please keep me informed.

John

From: John Thingstad
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:28:13 +0100, Chello <··············@chello.no>
wrote:

I am looking for a good lisp environment for Windows and linux with
supports windows.
Seems I nned to capture graphics. So how about a Gnome interface?

John