From: Michael Rogers
Subject: XEmacs + Ilisp + Clisp on Windows XP
I am trying to use XEmacs 21.4 with GNU Clisp 2.32 and Ilisp 5.12.0 on
a Windows XP SP1 machine. I am new to all of these products (except
WinXP) and have just begun the process of learning lisp. Clisp seems
to work fine (I have been able to enter the REPL and successfully use
it), XEmacs seems to work (I have used it to edit files), and WinXP is
working as well as can be expected. :) My problem is in getting Ilisp
to work as the go between for XEmacs and Clisp. I have followed the
instructions for installing Ilisp (I think correctly) but it is not
working fully. When I open a .lsp file and type M-x ilisp-mode and
then type clisp for the dialect I get the following:

From: Joe Marshall
Subject: Re: XEmacs + Ilisp + Clisp on Windows XP
·········@yahoo.com (Michael Rogers) writes:

> I am trying to use XEmacs 21.4 with GNU Clisp 2.32 and Ilisp 5.12.0 on
> a Windows XP SP1 machine.

> [1]>
> Files\XEmacs\xemacs-packages\lisp\ilisp\ilisp-pkg.fas
> *** - LOAD: A file with name C:Program
> FilesXEmacsxemacs-packageslispilispilisp-pkg.fas does not exist

The backslash character is the escape character in Common Lisp (and
many other languages).  You need to escape it by using two of them.

--
~jrm
From: Michael Rogers
Joe Marshall <·············@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<············@comcast.net>...
> ·········@yahoo.com (Michael Rogers) writes:
>
> > I am trying to use XEmacs 21.4 with GNU Clisp 2.32 and Ilisp 5.12.0 on
> > a Windows XP SP1 machine.
>

> > [1]>
> > Files\XEmacs\xemacs-packages\lisp\ilisp\ilisp-pkg.fas
> > *** - LOAD: A file with name C:Program
> > FilesXEmacsxemacs-packageslispilispilisp-pkg.fas does not exist
>
> The backslash character is the escape character in Common Lisp (and
> many other languages).  You need to escape it by using two of them.

Hi Joe. Thanks for the response :)

I tried using "\", "\\", "/", and "//" in the paths and none of those
work. Is there any other possible solution to my problem that you know
of?
From: Rolf Rander Næss
>Files\XEmacs\xemacs-packages\lisp\ilisp\ilisp-pkg.fas
>*** - LOAD: A file with name C:Program
>FilesXEmacsxemacs-packageslispilispilisp-pkg.fas does not exist

I've had the same problem, which seems to be that (x)emacs'
expand-file-name returns a path with backslashes which clisp treats as
an escape character.

After some googling, it seemed to me that the only solution was to
make:

(defun slash-expand-file-name (file &optional default-dir)
  (map 'string #'(lambda (c) (if (char-equal c ?\\) ?/ c))
       (expand-file-name file default-dir)))

and replace every reference to expand-file-name with
slash-expand-file-name.

rolf rander

--
http://www.pvv.org/~rolfn/

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only
because they do not realize how complicated life is. (J. von Neumann)
From: Michael Rogers
> >Files\XEmacs\xemacs-packages\lisp\ilisp\ilisp-pkg.fas
> >*** - LOAD: A file with name C:Program
> >FilesXEmacsxemacs-packageslispilispilisp-pkg.fas does not exist
>
> I've had the same problem, which seems to be that (x)emacs'
> expand-file-name returns a path with backslashes which clisp treats as
> an escape character.
>
> After some googling, it seemed to me that the only solution was to
> make:
>
> (defun slash-expand-file-name (file &optional default-dir)
>   (map 'string #'(lambda (c) (if (char-equal c ?\\) ?/ c))
>        (expand-file-name file default-dir)))
>
> and replace every reference to expand-file-name with
> slash-expand-file-name.
>

> rolf rander
Thanks for the reply Rolf. :)
I tried something very similar to what you suggested which seems to be
working, but now I have another problem. Specifially I followed the
instructions I found at
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ilisp+group:comp.emacs.xemacs&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.emacs.xemacs&selm=3C0F56DA.30603%40hotmail.com&rnum=8

Now my paths seem to be correct. :) My new error message is: