From: Christian Hofer
Subject: Slime / OpenMCL install problem
Hello,

I just tried to install OpenMCL and Slime on my new iBook. Got the newest
OpenMCL, and Slime from CVS.

When I try to start Slime-Mode in Emacs, the following error occurs:

(load "/Applications/OpenMcl/slime/swank-loader")
Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Alpha: Darwin) 0.14-031220!
?
;; Compiling /Applications/OpenMcl/slime/swank-backend.lisp...
;; Compiling /Applications/OpenMcl/slime/swank.lisp...
;; Compiling /Applications/OpenMcl/slime/swank-openmcl.lisp...
; Warning: Interface file #4P"ccl:darwin-headers;libc;functions.cdb" does not ex
ist.
; While executing: CCL::CDB-OPEN
Read error between positions 6215 and 6330 in /Applications/OpenMcl/slime/swank-
openmcl.lisp.
> Error in process listener(1): Foreign function not found: OS::|tmpnam|
> While executing: CCL::LOAD-EXTERNAL-FUNCTION
> Type :POP to abort.
Type :? for other options.

Does anybody have an idea, what the cause could be? (If you wonder, I just
created the slime-folder as a subfolder to OpenMcl...)

I could not find a SLIME mailing list - but maybe it is an openmcl problem?

Christian

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Slime / OpenMCL install problem
·······@gmx.de (Christian Hofer) writes:

> ; Warning: Interface file #4P"ccl:darwin-headers;libc;functions.cdb" does not ex
> ist.
> ; While executing: CCL::CDB-OPEN
[snip]
> Does anybody have an idea, what the cause could be? (If you wonder, I just
> created the slime-folder as a subfolder to OpenMcl...)

Looks like the cdb files (interface definitions for foreign functions)
are missing.  You can get them here:
http://openmcl.clozure.com/Distributions/openmcl-release-0.14-031220.html

> I could not find a SLIME mailing list - but maybe it is an openmcl problem?

If you still have problems with SLIME, send a message to the mailing
lists (as mentioned in the README):

  Questions and comments are best directed to the mailing list:

  The mailing list archive is also avalable on Gmane:
    http://news.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.slime.devel

You can post via Gmane without being subscribed.

Helmut.
From: Dave Roberts
Christian Hofer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just tried to install OpenMCL and Slime on my new iBook. Got the newest
> OpenMCL, and Slime from CVS.
>
> When I try to start Slime-Mode in Emacs, the following error occurs:
>
> (load "/Applications/OpenMcl/slime/swank-loader")
> Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Alpha: Darwin) 0.14-031220!
> ?
> ;; Compiling /Applications/OpenMcl/slime/swank-backend.lisp...
> ;; Compiling /Applications/OpenMcl/slime/swank.lisp...
> ;; Compiling /Applications/OpenMcl/slime/swank-openmcl.lisp...
> ; Warning: Interface file #4P"ccl:darwin-headers;libc;functions.cdb" does
> not ex ist.
> ; While executing: CCL::CDB-OPEN
> Read error between positions 6215 and 6330 in
> /Applications/OpenMcl/slime/swank- openmcl.lisp.
>> Error in process listener(1): Foreign function not found: OS::|tmpnam|
>> While executing: CCL::LOAD-EXTERNAL-FUNCTION
>> Type :POP to abort.
> Type :? for other options.
>
> Does anybody have an idea, what the cause could be? (If you wonder, I just
> created the slime-folder as a subfolder to OpenMcl...)
>
> I could not find a SLIME mailing list - but maybe it is an openmcl
> problem?

I just installed SLIME with SBCL on Linux and was having some problems, too
(not necessarily sure they are the same as yours). The SLIME README says
you might have better luck checking out a more known-stable version of
SLIME and lists a CVS tag that you can use to do that. That worked for me.
For whatever reason, the CVS HEAD wasn't doing the job.

-- Dave
From: Helmut Eller
Dave Roberts <·····@re-move.droberts.com> writes:

> I just installed SLIME with SBCL on Linux and was having some problems, too
> (not necessarily sure they are the same as yours). The SLIME README says
> you might have better luck checking out a more known-stable version of
> SLIME and lists a CVS tag that you can use to do that. That worked for me.
> For whatever reason, the CVS HEAD wasn't doing the job.

FWIW, the current CVS version of SLIME requires a very recent SBCL.
To be specific, a version with a binding for fcntl in the sb-posix
package.  This binding was added a week ago or so.

Helmut.