From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Cello/win32 release 1be
"be" for bleeding edge. wait till you see the release note disclaimer.
PWUAHHAHHHAHAHAHAA.

Anyway, I'll be tossing together a zip of something or other today and
sending it to Bill Clementson so he can forward it to anyone down for
the week-from-Monday Cells tutorial (it will be fun to have stuff on the
screen, tho a text-based tutorial will be the fallback if too many
Unix-afflictees show up).

Anyone who wants to see if they can get the release to run on their
system is welcome to try, but don't forget the release notes. :)

I just tested the main demo under LW's trial version, and though it
squawks on a full build about how I should buy the full version (cuz I
get close to some limitation) it does run same as under ACL. It would be
inetresting to try again under ACL Trial, but I likely won't have the time.

This release is not for general distribution (not that I will fall over
dead if it gets posted on alt.binaries.pwuahaha) but I'd rather wait
until the framework has been fleshed out, fixed, and taught about the
Fantastic and Incredible Libraries it uses. And we have an X11 release.

Speaking of which, terrifically brave people might be able to get the
thing to run under X11 using Lispworks or ACL or OpenMCL (you just need
an implementation that supports callbacks and the FFI savvy to add it to
Cello), but you will have to DL and build the Brilliant, Astonishing
Libraries (Freeglut, FTGL*, and ImageMagick**) for which I take all
credit. If you do get it to work you will Make History, and it really
will be Cello, the Portable CL GUI.

Send an email by tonight if you want a copy, after then Bill C. might be
able to help you out (btw, I have not cleared any of this with Bill yet,
so no promises (and he will be away as well)).

Again, no NDA, but it is offered in that spirit. Still lots to do before
I think about a general release.

cheers, kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com

From: Rand Sobriquet
Subject: Re: Cello/win32 release 1be
> I just tested the main demo under LW's trial version, and though it
> squawks on a full build about how I should buy the full version (cuz I
> get close to some limitation) it does run same as under ACL. It would be
> inetresting to try again under ACL Trial, but I likely won't have the time.

Hi Kenny,

I'm not a 100% sure, but from your descriptions of your cells project,
I think you are attempting to marry CLOS with constraint satisfaction
functionality.  If this is correct (and if you are planning to
purchase LispWorks), I would strongly urge you to purchase the edition
that comes with the KnowledgeWorks module. There is this piece of
functionality that allows you to replace the default forward chaining
behavior with your own:

http://www.lispworks.com/reference/lw43/KW-W/html/kwprolog-w-75.htm#marker-891608

And they have this bit later where they talk about certainty metrics
later as an example.

I think that this is a very interesting project because of your use of
existing libraries and so I think that (maybe) it's a bad idea to
write the cells stuff entirely by yourself when a well-established
avenue can potentially make your code much shorter.

Otherwise, Rock On!

(sorry, this email doesn' work)