From: David Buchan
Subject: Newbie question: Command line arguments in Common Lisp?
Hi guys,

In C language, you can type arguments at the command line and have your
program pick them up and use them. For example, I could write a dos2unix
program and have the name of the file to be cleaned, passed into main
via array argv.

At the command prompt I would type:

dos2unix[.exe] filename

and the file would be cleaned of carriage-returns.

The code would look something like:

int main (char *argv[])
{
FILE *fi;

fi=open(argv[[1],"r");

etc.

FORTRAN now allows this, except that you access the arguments by using
the getarg intrinsic procedure.

Perl, an interpreted language, also allows this. The arguments are in
@argv and you use shift @argv to access each one.

Can I do something similar in Common Lisp?

Thanks,
Dave

From: David Buchan
I forgot to mention that I'm using Clisp.

Dave
From: drewc
David Buchan wrote:
> I forgot to mention that I'm using Clisp.

There is this really cool new service on teh intarweb... they call it
'google' ... rather then being a one with one hundred zeros, it is in
fact a 'search engine', which lets you find items in a vast information
store known as 'the World Wide Web'

Anyways, if one were to use this 'google' , and search for, say:

"clisp command line args"

and then read the results that come up, an amazing thing happens! The
third result is entitled :

"25.2. The Environment Dictionary [CLHS-25.2]"

And if one were to further read into this, one may notice that, at the
bottom of this page, the following section appears :

25.2.14. Function EXT:ARGV

This function will return a fresh SIMPLE-VECTOR of STRING command line
arguments passed to the runtime, including those already processed by
CLISP. Use EXT:*ARGS* instead of this function to get the arguments for
your program.

Amazing!

Now, just for future reference, this service, 'google', is freely
available at http://google.ca. It can be a great time saver!

For example, asking this question on c.l.l took (in your first post),
748 characters. Asking google took me only 24. And i got my answer right
away.

Save those chars for when you really need them.

drewc
From: Pascal Bourguignon
David Buchan <·····@pdbuchan.com> writes:

> I forgot to mention that I'm using Clisp.

See:
    common-lisp:*load-pathname*
    ext:*args*

This is a signature virus.  Add me to your signature and help me to live
From: Philippe Brochard
David Buchan writes:

> I forgot to mention that I'm using Clisp.

With Clisp you can use ext:*args*

     http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes.html#script-exec

Or you can have a look here:

   http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/search?group=comp.lang.lisp&q=command+line+arguments&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group

Philippe

--
Philippe Brochard    <·····@free.fr>
                      http://hocwp.free.fr

-=-= http://www.gnu.org/home.fr.html =-=-
From: Svein Ove Aas
start quoting David Buchan :

> Can I do something similar in Common Lisp?

Of course you can, in an implementation-defined manner.
*Which* Lisp?