From: Peter Seibel
Subject: ··@C
Are there any contemporary implementations of Common Lisp that run on
Windows or Unix (including OS X) anyone knows of in which (format t
···@c" char) will print something different than (format t "~:c" char)
for any values of char? If you know of one can you show me an example
of what it prints?

-Peter

From: Carl Shapiro
Subject: Re: ··@C
Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:

> Are there any contemporary implementations of Common Lisp that run on
> Windows or Unix (including OS X) anyone knows of in which (format t
> ···@c" char) will print something different than (format t "~:c" char)
> for any values of char? If you know of one can you show me an example
> of what it prints?

A Windows Lisp ought to print the keystroke alongside character names
for special characters which cannot be typed.

(format nil ···@C" (code-char #xB6)) => "Pilcrow-Sign (Alt+0182)"

I would hope that Macintosh Lisps would do the same for their funny
characters (the Apple logo comes to mind).
From: Frank Buss
Carl Shapiro <·············@panix.com> wrote:

> A Windows Lisp ought to print the keystroke alongside character names
> for special characters which cannot be typed.
>
> (format nil ···@C" (code-char #xB6)) => "Pilcrow-Sign (Alt+0182)"

CLisp and LispWorks on Windows doesn't do it, ··@c and ~:c shows the same
for your example.

--
Frank Bu�, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Carl Shapiro
Frank Buss <··@frank-buss.de> writes:

> Carl Shapiro <·············@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > A Windows Lisp ought to print the keystroke alongside character names
> > for special characters which cannot be typed.
> >
> > (format nil ···@C" (code-char #xB6)) => "Pilcrow-Sign (Alt+0182)"
>
> CLisp and LispWorks on Windows doesn't do it, ··@c and ~:c shows the same
> for your example.

The key word in my sentence was "ought", not "does".
From: Thomas A. Russ
Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:

> Are there any contemporary implementations of Common Lisp that run on
> Windows or Unix (including OS X) anyone knows of in which (format t
> ···@c" char) will print something different than (format t "~:c" char)
> for any values of char? If you know of one can you show me an example
> of what it prints?

Under MCL, there are a whole slew of such characters.  Some examples:

 Value        ·@c              :c
======  ==============        ====
  0     ·@ (Control @)        Null
  1     ^A (Control A)        Home
 28     ^\ (Control \)        BackArrow
161     � (Option *)          �

I get 124 such cases between 0 and 255.

From: Peter Seibel
···@sevak.isi.edu (Thomas A. Russ) writes:

> Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:
>

>> Are there any contemporary implementations of Common Lisp that run on
>> Windows or Unix (including OS X) anyone knows of in which (format t
>> ···@c" char) will print something different than (format t "~:c" char)
>> for any values of char? If you know of one can you show me an example
>> of what it prints?
>
> Under MCL, there are a whole slew of such characters.  Some examples:
>
>  Value        ·@c              :c
>   0     ·@ (Control @)        Null
>   1     ^A (Control A)        Home
>  28     ^\ (Control \)        BackArrow
> 161     � (Option *)          �
>
> I get 124 such cases between 0 and 255.

Just out of curiosity, is that on OS X or OS 9?

-Peter