From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Cells-gtk now UFFI-ized, running under AllegroCL and Lispworks on win32, next stop OS/X.
The web page has been updated to include screenshots on win32, some from
AllegroCL, some from Lispworks. ACL shots have that regrettable green
head icon they use in the very top left.

    http://common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/

Implicit in this is that the code has been ported insanely painfully
from the killer CLisp FFI to the brilliantly portable but l.c.d. UFFI
(well, now my fork thereof, tentatively named Hello-C). Anyway...

Aside: I just noticed something. In the "Tree-view" demo Vasilis is
actually giving you an inspector of, um, the Clos/gtk instances
implementing the inspector with which you are viewing the, um, oh, I
think you get the idea. Sick. :)

i try not to look at code when I am working on it, but this FFI stuff is
just utter teeth-pulling and I could not help noticing out of the corner
of my eye some of the code. Vasilis did an extraordinary job of
demonstrating how to build a GUI using Gtk, Lisp, and Cells, notable
especially for covering Gtk extensively (completely? I do not know, but
he himself felt he had come close) and for making the GUI itself
dynamically responsive to user activity.

The latest code in the cells-gtk repository, in the root module, is
portable but suffered from my chainsaw methodolgy. If you want to see
vasilis's original work, check out the clisp-cgtk module.

Next I will make a half-hearted attempt to get this thing running on a
Lispworks/OS/X platform. One blip and I hit the silk. Life is too short
and Cello/OS/X awaits.

kenny (going drinking until he cannot remember what FFI stands for)

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

From: Andras Simon
From the subject line I gathered that it was not supposed to run under
ACL/Linux. But it does (modulo some foreign library loading
issues). Nice.

Andras

From: Kenny Tilton
> From the subject line I gathered that it was not supposed to run under
> ACL/Linux.

Ah, great to hear. No exclusion was meant by the subject line, just an
indication of what had been tested.

> But it does (modulo some foreign library loading
> issues). Nice.

If you want to send me the fixes (or a whole tarball) I will sneak them
into CVS.

I wonder if CMUCL/SBCL could run with your fixes.

Unfortunately I only got as far as a clean build on OS/X then failed on
gtk-init and lost interest. :)

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/