From: drewc
Subject: Python, XML. and now .Net?
Following a link from LtU today, i cam across CodeDom for .Net :

http://www.15seconds.com/issue/020917.htm

What this seems to be is a method of parsing abitrary source code into a
Tree Structure (like s-exps), manipulating that tree structure (like in
a macro definition ) and then generating source code (like a macro call).

So, everybody is getting into the macro game it seems. A lot of
greenspunning going on! As a relative newcomer to lisp, i can't imagine
what those who have been using it for years feel like every time they
see lisp features finally showing up in other languages .. it's already
to the point where i want to reach across the ether and slap folks
around with a copy of _On Lisp_ .

drewc

From: Chris Capel
Subject: Re: Python, XML. and now .Net?
drewc wrote:

> What this seems to be is a method of parsing abitrary source code into a
> Tree Structure (like s-exps), manipulating that tree structure (like in
> a macro definition ) and then generating source code (like a macro call).

CodeDom is a half-assed attempt to provide a tenth of the power of lisp
macros. You can't even use it to generate (C#) FFI declarations for C
libraries--one of the most tedious aspects of programming some C#
projects--because it doesn't support method declarations without a body,
which are what you do to do FFI in C#.

BTW, one of the goals is to be able to generate code in any .NET language
from your constructed code objects. Hehe.

Before I knew about CodeDom, I just appended a bunch of strings together and
wrote them out to a file to accomplish about the same thing. I tried using
it once. Then I went back to appending strings. Much less painful. :-)

Chris Capel
From: Coby Beck
"drewc" <·····@rift.com> wrote in message
··························@pd7tw3no...
> So, everybody is getting into the macro game it seems. A lot of
> greenspunning going on! As a relative newcomer to lisp, i can't imagine
> what those who have been using it for years feel like every time they see
> lisp features finally showing up in other languages .. it's already to the
> point where i want to reach across the ether and slap folks around with a
> copy of _On Lisp_ .

Yes, that's the feeling...!  But it calms down after a while to quiet
head-shaking.

--
Coby Beck
(remove #\Space "coby 101 @ big pond . com")
From: Hannah Schroeter
Hello!

drewc  <·····@rift.com> wrote:
>Following a link from LtU today, i cam across CodeDom for .Net :

>http://www.15seconds.com/issue/020917.htm

>What this seems to be is a method of parsing abitrary source code into a
>Tree Structure (like s-exps), manipulating that tree structure (like in
>a macro definition ) and then generating source code (like a macro call).

And are they also talking about "new patent pending technology" or
so?

Would fit those many software patents, among others from the Microsoft
world, that are usually trivial, prior art or both.

>So, everybody is getting into the macro game it seems. A lot of
>greenspunning going on! As a relative newcomer to lisp, i can't imagine
>what those who have been using it for years feel like every time they
>see lisp features finally showing up in other languages .. it's already
>to the point where i want to reach across the ether and slap folks
>around with a copy of _On Lisp_ .

Yeah. Especially as things are yucky anyway.

And... There was some thing called openc++ IIRC that was in a
similar vein, btw. It's a kind of precompiler for C++ that allows
some bits of metaprogramming. Nothing new for a Lisper, of course.

>drewc

Kind regards,

Hannah.
From: Kenny Tilton
> drewc  <·····@rift.com> wrote:
>
>>So, everybody is getting into the macro game it seems. A lot of
>>greenspunning going on! As a relative newcomer to lisp, i can't imagine
>>what those who have been using it for years feel like every time they
>>see lisp features finally showing up in other languages

(a) encouraged that soon we'll be making megabucks doing Lisp training

(b) panicked that we better make our Paul Graham List qua secret weapon
fortunes before the rest of the world finds out

(c) grateful at how easy it will be to explain why we used Lisp from now on

>> .. it's already
>>to the point where i want to reach across the ether and slap folks
>>around with a copy of _On Lisp_ .

no, don't give it away. it will be more fun to see the look on their
faces when they add the last piece of the puzzle (special variables? no,
sexpr notation) and recognize John McCarthy.

:)

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Emre Sevinc
drewc <·····@rift.com> writes:

> Following a link from LtU today, i cam across CodeDom for .Net :
>
> http://www.15seconds.com/issue/020917.htm
>
> What this seems to be is a method of parsing abitrary source code into
> a Tree Structure (like s-exps), manipulating that tree structure (like
> in a macro definition ) and then generating source code (like a macro
> call).
>
> So, everybody is getting into the macro game it seems. A lot of
> greenspunning going on! As a relative newcomer to lisp, i can't
> imagine what those who have been using it for years feel like every
> time they see lisp features finally showing up in other languages

Yes, Microsoft world is slowly waking up to "code generation"
and presenting it as the complex hi-tech feature of the
.NET environment.

   "Code generation--or code that writes code--can speed up
   the creation of new applications by letting you automate
   much of the process." [1]

Yes, me thinks so, too! :)

1. Introducing Code Generation in .NET
 - http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/.NET/Introducing-Code-Generation/

--
Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer         Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr           http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr         http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student       http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr
From: Paolo Amoroso
drewc <·····@rift.com> writes:

> So, everybody is getting into the macro game it seems. A lot of
> greenspunning going on! As a relative newcomer to lisp, i can't
> imagine what those who have been using it for years feel like every
> time they see lisp features finally showing up in other languages

I think that "reuse" is a scam.

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools (see also http://clrfi.alu.org):
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface