From: Thomas Gagne
Subject: Learning CLISP
I'd like to play with LISP, using it with other languages.  Namely, I'd like
to find some documentation about how I might interface it with a C-library for
middleware <http://isectd.sourceforge.net/> and Smalltalk.

Is CLISP a good LISP to try that out with?  Where might documentation on
interfacing to APIs exist?

From: Thomas Gagne
Subject: Re: Learning CLISP
Already changed my mind.  I'm going to look into the Lisp-in-a-Box described
in Practical Lisp's online chapters.  Sounds like a decent book.  I'll figure
out how to interface to C functions with it.

From: Luis Oliveira
Thomas Gagne skribis:
> Already changed my mind.  I'm going to look into the Lisp-in-a-Box described
> in Practical Lisp's online chapters.  Sounds like a decent book.  I'll figure
> out how to interface to C functions with it.

"Lisp in a Box" <http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/> uses either
Allegro CL or CLISP so you have (at least?) three choices to interface with C:

  - Allegro's FFI:
<http://franz.com/support/documentation/6.2/doc/contents.htm#foreign-functions>

  - CLISP's FFI: <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/dffi.html>

  - UFFI: <http://uffi.b9.com/> This one has the advantage of being
    portable across several Common Lisp implementations (including
    Allegro CL, but not CLISP).

--
Luís Oliveira
From: Kenny Tilton
Thomas Gagne wrote:

> Already changed my mind.  I'm going to look into the Lisp-in-a-Box
> described in Practical Lisp's online chapters.  Sounds like a decent
> book.  I'll figure out how to interface to C functions with it.

I just checked the table of contents for Practical Common Lisp and did
not see an entry for foreign function interface stuff. So you will need
the links Luis posted pointing out the FFI documentation for different
Lisps and UFFI.

I am guessing you know C well, so you might get by with just the doc.
And there are many open source projects which include bindings (the FFI
glue one writes in order to talk to C) from which you can borrow or learn.

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/