From: ··········@gmail.com
Subject: first program?
hi, i'm getting to a point where fragment code doesn't excite me
anymore.. so i want to start my first project in lisp... can anyone
suggest a good starting project to work on? it can't use GUI though..
haven't figure out how to use it yet...

:D
Thanks alot!

From: CBayona
Subject: Re: first program?
··········@gmail.com wrote:
> hi, i'm getting to a point where fragment code doesn't excite me
> anymore.. so i want to start my first project in lisp... can anyone
> suggest a good starting project to work on? it can't use GUI though..
> haven't figure out how to use it yet...
>
> :D
> Thanks alot!

I'm also interested in learning Lisp, and I would like to know what
books are recomended to get a grasp of Lisp.

Thanks

Cecil
From: Lars Brinkhoff
CBayona <·······@Cox.net> writes:
> I would like to know what books are recomended to get a grasp of
> Lisp.

Suggested reading:
http://cliki.net/Online%20Tutorial
http://cliki.net/Favorite%20Lisp%20books

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/
From: Philip Haddad
CBayona wrote:
> ··········@gmail.com wrote:
> > hi, i'm getting to a point where fragment code doesn't excite me
> > anymore.. so i want to start my first project in lisp... can anyone
> > suggest a good starting project to work on? it can't use GUI
though..
> > haven't figure out how to use it yet...
> >
> > :D
> > Thanks alot!
> >
> I'm also interested in learning Lisp, and I would like to know what
> books are recomended to get a grasp of Lisp.
>
> Thanks
>
> Cecil

I would recommend "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming:
Case Studies in Common Lisp" by Peter Norvig. It has about 100 pages of
tutorial, then jumps into showing you how to write AI programs, the
first one being the GPS. Note that even if you are not into AI this
book is still awesomemainly because of the chapters dealing on code
optimization. I believe that someone already suggested this one, but
get "ANSI Common Lisp" by Paul Graham, it's the bible for Lispers.
--
Certum quod factum.
Philip Haddad
From: lin8080
CBayona schrieb:

> I'm also interested in learning Lisp, and I would like to know what
> books are recomended to get a grasp of Lisp.

For Beginners:
Programmieen in Common Lisp
  2.Auflage, Otto Mayer
ISBN 3-86025-710-2   .de

More:
Object-Oriented Common Lisp
   Stephan Slade
 ISBN 0-13-605940-6  .uk

ANSI Comon lisp
 Paul Graham
ISBN 3-8272-9543-2   .de

Thats enough. By the time I guess you will have digital dokus, i.e. CL
Impnotes, Hyperspec, html-docs, papers and c.l.l., ~28 MB on my HD.

Lisp is the best happend to :computer :user

stefan
From: Albert Reiner
[lin8080 <·······@freenet.de>, Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:03:41 +0100]:
> For Beginners:
> Programmieren in Common Lisp
>   2.Auflage, Otto Mayer
> ISBN 3-86025-710-2   .de

I cannot recommend this one: It is one of the few books I read on
Common Lisp, and I found it abysmally bad.  It may, however, have been
the first edition.  I think one should first check it out in some
library before wasting any money on it.

Albert.
From: R. Mattes
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:03:41 +0100, lin8080 wrote:

> CBayona schrieb:
>
>> I'm also interested in learning Lisp, and I would like to know what
>> books are recomended to get a grasp of Lisp.
>
> For Beginners:
> Programmieen in Common Lisp
>   2.Auflage, Otto Mayer
> ISBN 3-86025-710-2   .de

This one i personally find rather boring (and
"non-lispish"). I'd be interested to hear why
you think that it's a recomended reading.

Ralf Mattes

From: lin8080
"R. Mattes" schrieb:

> > For Beginners:
> > Programmieen in Common Lisp
> >   2.Auflage, Otto Mayer
> > ISBN 3-86025-710-2   .de

> This one i personally find rather boring (and
> "non-lispish"). I'd be interested to hear why
> you think that it's a recomended reading.

It is for beginners.
When someone sees Lisp the first time, this is a good book to learn some
internals about list and how to work on lists. Lisp is not like any
other language and it looks confusing if one do not know some basic
concepts. So, most other books I read, do the basics in a few lines and
come with the highlights on the rest of the pages. Is this what is
usefull for beginners?
Sure, this is my oppinion. Others may think different.

stefan
From: Pascal Bourguignon
··········@gmail.com writes:

> hi, i'm getting to a point where fragment code doesn't excite me
> anymore.. so i want to start my first project in lisp... can anyone
> suggest a good starting project to work on? it can't use GUI though..
> haven't figure out how to use it yet...

Implement a SF MUD.

The magicians are the lisp wizards who can program their spells in
lisp inside the MUD: they need to connect to the galactic computer to
program their spells.  Powerfull magicians can cast spells driving
swarms of robots exploiting planets and stars for them.

The world will now reboot; don't bother saving your artefacts.
From: Frank Buss
Pascal Bourguignon <····@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> Implement a SF MUD.

or a MUD playing in the Dark Ages: