From: Emre Sevinc
Subject: Why C# will fail (and why Lisp didn't), a weird approach
Hidden wisdom :-P (Or should I say latent variable analysis?) ;-)

http://khason.biz/blog/2004/12/why-microsoft-can-blow-off-with-c.html

I remember that Dali had a similar idea showing a parallel
between the beard sizes of Marx, Engelse, Lenin, Stalin ... to Krushchev
and the historical situations ;-)

--
Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer         Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr           http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr         http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student       http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr

From: Jeff
Emre Sevinc wrote:

> http://khason.biz/blog/2004/12/why-microsoft-can-blow-off-with-c.html

First picture is false. Charles Moore invented Forth, not Fortran.

Jeff M.

--
http://www.retrobyte.org
··············@gmail.com
From: John Thingstad
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:47:33 GMT, Jeff <·······@gmail.com> wrote:

> Emre Sevinc wrote:
>

>> http://khason.biz/blog/2004/12/why-microsoft-can-blow-off-with-c.html
>>

> First picture is false. Charles Moore invented Forth, not Fortran.
>
> Jeff M.

John Backus invented FORTRAN by the way...
(funny name: John comes from Johannes meaning 'the virtous'
Bacchus is the Roman wine god, a equivalent of Dionysis.)

From: Gareth McCaughan
John Thingstad wrote:

> John Backus invented FORTRAN by the way...
> (funny name: John comes from Johannes meaning 'the virtous'
> Bacchus is the Roman wine god, a equivalent of Dionysis.)

"Johannes" doesn't mean "the virtuous", does it? According
to the not-very-reliable name list in the back of one of my
dictionaries, it may come from "**** is gracious", where
**** is the Hebrew name of God which I have omitted in case
any Orthodox Jewish readers would be troubled or inconvenienced
by it.

A couple of (probably even more unreliable) websites suggest
that Backus is a variant of something like Backhouse or Bakehouse,
an English name. I suppose it might be derived from Bacchus,
but something more Germanic seems likely...

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc
From: John Thingstad
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:48:00 GMT, Gareth McCaughan
<················@pobox.com> wrote:

> John Thingstad wrote:
>
>> John Backus invented FORTRAN by the way...
>> (funny name: John comes from Johannes meaning 'the virtous'
>> Bacchus is the Roman wine god, a equivalent of Dionysis.)
>
> "Johannes" doesn't mean "the virtuous", does it? According
> to the not-very-reliable name list in the back of one of my
> dictionaries, it may come from "**** is gracious", where
> **** is the Hebrew name of God which I have omitted in case
> any Orthodox Jewish readers would be troubled or inconvenienced
> by it.
>
> A couple of (probably even more unreliable) websites suggest
> that Backus is a variant of something like Backhouse or Bakehouse,
> an English name. I suppose it might be derived from Bacchus,
> but something more Germanic seems likely...

lol. Ok I admit it's a bit of a strech.
Thou shall not use my name in vain.. (Jehova)
Just the first thing that fell into my mind.
(I did get the spelling right though. Indicating that there is a
difference.)

From: Fernando
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:21:10 +0200, Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr>
wrote:

>I remember that Dali had a similar idea showing a parallel
>between the beard sizes of Marx, Engelse, Lenin, Stalin ... to Krushchev
>and the historical situations ;-)

Do you have a link to the actual quote?