From: Jeff
Subject: OT: Tablet PCs
Just wondering if the major Lisp implementations (LW/Allegro) work on
the TabletPCs. Also, has anyone used one to write code? Is it any good,
how's the OCR in code, etc..?

Thanks,

Jeff M.

--
http://www.retrobyte.org
··············@gmail.com

From: Markus Grueneis
Subject: Re: OT: Tablet PCs
Jeff wrote:
> Just wondering if the major Lisp implementations (LW/Allegro) work on
> the TabletPCs. Also, has anyone used one to write code? Is it any good,
> how's the OCR in code, etc..?
[...]

If I understand you correctly, TabletPCs under Windows, than everything
works fine, as I'm just typing on such a thing... Windows supports to
send every handwritten input to any application, but handwriting source
code - forget it - it's extremly dictionary based... Well, maybe it is
possible via creating a lisp-dictionary, but from my experience with
allday texts I don't think it will work well. By the way, it's less
comfortable to write this way then somebody may think, especially when
you are used to have some notes (on paper) beside your pc...

I don't know of available bindings with the tabletPC-libs, nor did I use
those on other programming languages, so sorry for this part...

Best regards,
Markus
From: Jeff
Markus Grueneis wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
> > Just wondering if the major Lisp implementations (LW/Allegro) work
> > on the TabletPCs. Also, has anyone used one to write code? Is it
> > any good, how's the OCR in code, etc..?
> [...]
>
> If I understand you correctly, TabletPCs under Windows, than
> everything works fine, as I'm just typing on such a thing... Windows
> supports to send every handwritten input to any application, but
> handwriting source code - forget it - it's extremly dictionary
> based...

That was something I was worried about.... *sigh*

> I don't know of available bindings with the tabletPC-libs, nor did I
> use those on other programming languages, so sorry for this part...

This was more for a trip, to keep working on a project over Xmas break
(and of course it would be used for other things). Not sure if it was
worth it.

Jeff M.

--
http://www.retrobyte.org
··············@gmail.com
From: Andrew Philpot
In article <·····················@attbi_s02>, Jeff wrote:
> Just wondering if the major Lisp implementations (LW/Allegro) work on
> the TabletPCs. Also, has anyone used one to write code? Is it any good,
> how's the OCR in code, etc..?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff M.

I've used ACL 6.2 with great success on a Fujitsu Stylistic 5010, and
intend to migrate to ACL 7.0 soon.  The app uses as its GUI a series
of HTML forms served by AllegroServe, and we turn on MS's built-in
handwriting recognition, so the user can just use the stylus to fill
in free text fields.  We are quite satisfied with the accuracy (using
both English and Spanish language models) and sensitivity of the text
recognition; but we don't try anything tricky, e.g., programmatic
invocation of the hw recognizer.

During deployment, I did try to type patches into the REPL using the
HW recognizer.  This was utterly frustrating.  The recognizer
(understandably) has no idea how to disambiguate ` vs ' or 0 vs O or l
vs I vs 1 in a code fragment.  I think substituting C for ( was the
most vexing "correction" it would make!  Time for the trusty USB
keyboard.

NB: The only bit of wizardry that was required from Franz to make ACL
work was that one should disable "advanced text entry functions" in
the compatibility tab of the (alisp) EXE's property tab.

Andrew