From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Are there any macro-writing macros in the Common Lisp standard?
When I say macro-writing macros I mean macros that are used
specifically to generate the body of macros such as the classic
WITH-GENSYMS and ONCE-ONLY macros. (Obviously macros like DOLIST can
be used in generating macro expansions but that's not what I mean.) I
can't think of any but I may well be spacing on something obvious.

-Peter

From: Barry Margolin
In article <··············@javamonkey.com>,
 Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> wrote:

> When I say macro-writing macros I mean macros that are used
> specifically to generate the body of macros such as the classic
> WITH-GENSYMS and ONCE-ONLY macros. (Obviously macros like DOLIST can
> be used in generating macro expansions but that's not what I mean.) I
> can't think of any but I may well be spacing on something obvious.

I just scanned the "Index of Macros" in CLtL2, and none of them look
like they're particularly oriented towards use within macros.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Peter Seibel
Barry Margolin <······@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <··············@javamonkey.com>,
>  Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> wrote:
>
>> When I say macro-writing macros I mean macros that are used
>> specifically to generate the body of macros such as the classic
>> WITH-GENSYMS and ONCE-ONLY macros. (Obviously macros like DOLIST can
>> be used in generating macro expansions but that's not what I mean.) I
>> can't think of any but I may well be spacing on something obvious.
>
> I just scanned the "Index of Macros" in CLtL2, and none of them look
> like they're particularly oriented towards use within macros.

Do you know if there was any discussion of including WITH-GENSYMS or
something like it in the standard? It seems like something that gets
reimplemented everywhere and was well understood at the time of
standardization. I was wondering about the lack of macro-writing
macros because that seems like a line the standardizers might have
drawn to keep the language size down.

-Peter

From: Carl Shapiro
Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:

> Do you know if there was any discussion of including WITH-GENSYMS or
> something like it in the standard?

There is a comment about this over here

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=sfw67a7ztys.fsf%40world.std.com&output=gplain
From: Wade Humeniuk
Peter Seibel wrote:
> When I say macro-writing macros I mean macros that are used
> specifically to generate the body of macros such as the classic
> WITH-GENSYMS and ONCE-ONLY macros. (Obviously macros like DOLIST can
> be used in generating macro expansions but that's not what I mean.) I
> can't think of any but I may well be spacing on something obvious.

The most obvious one is the the backquote macro character and
its helpers comma and comma-unsplicing.  (But I think that is not the
type you are looking for.)  One could write a macro without them but
it would be long and tedious, exactly one of the things macros help
with.

Wade
From: Peter Seibel
Wade Humeniuk <····································@telus.net> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
>> When I say macro-writing macros I mean macros that are used
>> specifically to generate the body of macros such as the classic
>> WITH-GENSYMS and ONCE-ONLY macros. (Obviously macros like DOLIST can
>> be used in generating macro expansions but that's not what I mean.) I
>> can't think of any but I may well be spacing on something obvious.
>
> The most obvious one is the the backquote macro character and its
> helpers comma and comma-unsplicing. (But I think that is not the
> type you are looking for.) One could write a macro without them but
> it would be long and tedious, exactly one of the things macros help
> with.

Right, important but not the kind of thing I was looking for.

-Peter