From: Christopher C. Stacy
Subject: help with CLISP
Today I decided to do some shell programming with CLISP.

This is on FreeBSD 4.10.  I installed the port:
GNU CLISP 2.30 (released 2002-09-15) (built 3311025230) (memory 3311025634)
Features:
(CLOS LOOP COMPILER CLISP ANSI-CL COMMON-LISP LISP=CL INTERPRETER SOCKETS GENERIC-STREAMS
LOGICAL-PATHNAMES SCREEN FFI UNICODE BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER SYSCALLS UNIX)

I wanted to use regular expressions, but none of the features
mentioned in the online documentation (at http://clisp.cons.org)
appear to be installed in my clisp image.

The /usr/ports/lang/clisp/Makefile has this in it:

MAKEMAKE_ARGS=--prefix=${PREFIX} --with-readline --with-gettext \
        --with-dynamic-ffi --with-module=regexp --with-export-syscalls

which made me think maybe the :REGEX module would have been installed.

I also looked over the documentation there on External Modules, but
didn't entirely follow what I would be doing to get one of these modules.
I see some intriguing files in /usr/local/lib/clisp/full, such as: regex.o,
regexi.o, regexp.o, along with 21 makevars, modules.h, and modules.o.
I tried calling SYS::DYNLOAD-MODULES, but it's not defined.

I wonder if I should install a newer version of clisp, but I don't
know the mysteries of ports, so I don't even know how to tell if
there is a new version available for my platform.  This is not my
computer and I do not want to install anything that isn't part of
standard FreeBSD.  They're going to be excited enough as it is.

Why doesn't my clisp have regexp in it?
How can I get it in there?
Do I need a newer version of clisp? How?
Is there a clisp users mailing list?

Thanks!

From: St?phane Perrot
Subject: Re: help with CLISP
······@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) wrote in message news:<·············@news.dtpq.com>...
> Today I decided to do some shell programming with CLISP.
>
> This is on FreeBSD 4.10.  I installed the port:
> GNU CLISP 2.30 (released 2002-09-15) (built 3311025230) (memory 3311025634)
> Features:
> (CLOS LOOP COMPILER CLISP ANSI-CL COMMON-LISP LISP=CL INTERPRETER SOCKETS GENERIC-STREAMS
> LOGICAL-PATHNAMES SCREEN FFI UNICODE BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER SYSCALLS UNIX)
>
> I wanted to use regular expressions, but none of the features
> mentioned in the online documentation (at http://clisp.cons.org)
> appear to be installed in my clisp image.
>
> The /usr/ports/lang/clisp/Makefile has this in it:
>
> MAKEMAKE_ARGS=--prefix=${PREFIX} --with-readline --with-gettext \
>         --with-dynamic-ffi --with-module=regexp --with-export-syscalls
>
> which made me think maybe the :REGEX module would have been installed.
>
> I also looked over the documentation there on External Modules, but
> didn't entirely follow what I would be doing to get one of these modules.
> I see some intriguing files in /usr/local/lib/clisp/full, such as: regex.o,
> regexi.o, regexp.o, along with 21 makevars, modules.h, and modules.o.
> I tried calling SYS::DYNLOAD-MODULES, but it's not defined.
>
> I wonder if I should install a newer version of clisp, but I don't
> know the mysteries of ports, so I don't even know how to tell if
> there is a new version available for my platform.  This is not my
> computer and I do not want to install anything that isn't part of
> standard FreeBSD.  They're going to be excited enough as it is.

> Why doesn't my clisp have regexp in it?
> How can I get it in there?
> Do I need a newer version of clisp? How?
> Is there a clisp users mailing list?
>
> Thanks!

Did you invoke it with clisp -K full?
(an alias might be appropriate)

As to install a newer version, AFAIK 2.30 is a little old (but functional),
2.33-2 should be better, if available...

SP
From: Babar K. Zafar
Try:

clisp -K full

Cheers,
Babar
From: Klaus Momberger

> Why doesn't my clisp have regexp in it?
> How can I get it in there?

Try this:

$ clisp -K full

-klaus
From: Russell McManus
······@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:

> Today I decided to do some shell programming with CLISP.
>
> This is on FreeBSD 4.10.  I installed the port:
> GNU CLISP 2.30 (released 2002-09-15) (built 3311025230) (memory 3311025634)
> Features:
> (CLOS LOOP COMPILER CLISP ANSI-CL COMMON-LISP LISP=CL INTERPRETER SOCKETS GENERIC-STREAMS
> LOGICAL-PATHNAMES SCREEN FFI UNICODE BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER SYSCALLS UNIX)
>
> I wanted to use regular expressions, but none of the features
> mentioned in the online documentation (at http://clisp.cons.org)
> appear to be installed in my clisp image.

There is a clisp user's email list:

  clisp-list <at> lists.sourceforge.net.

I suggest reading it via gmane.

There have been many, many improvements to clisp made since 2.30.  I
would suggest a newer version.

Other users have already mentioned -K full, which is required for
regexps.

-russ
From: Szymon
Unfortunetely I do not have CLISP now, but, afair,
this may help:

clisp -K full

Regards, Szymon.
From: Szymon
······@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:

http://clisp.cons.org

> Why doesn't my clisp have regexp in it?

http://clisp.cons.org/faq.html#ext

"....

Where are the modules with which I built CLISP?

In the full linking set. Run CLISP like this: clisp -K full.

The reasons for base being the default are explained here.

...."

> How can I get it in there?
> Do I need a newer version of clisp? How?

Download source, compile it with GCC.

> Is there a clisp users mailing list?

Reagrds, Szymon.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
······@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:

> Today I decided to do some shell programming with CLISP.
>
> This is on FreeBSD 4.10.  I installed the port:
> [...]
> Why doesn't my clisp have regexp in it?
> How can I get it in there?
> Do I need a newer version of clisp? How?
> Is there a clisp users mailing list?

yes.
send subscribte to ···················@lists.sourceforge.net
··········@lists.sourceforge.net>

You should get the CVS version because there was a mismatch of type
declaration that made regex fail on *BSD up to clisp-2.33.2.  (or you
can compile it yourself configuring it to use the embedded regexp.c,
or you could correct the type in the regexp module).

The world will now reboot; don't bother saving your artefacts.
From: Oyvin Halfdan Thuv
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

>>This is on FreeBSD 4.10.  I installed the port:
>>[...]
>>Can someone point me in the right direction?
>>Why doesn't my clisp have regexp in it?
>>How can I get it in there?

use the cvs utility and check out from sourceforge (
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=1355).

> You should get the CVS version because there was a mismatch of type
> declaration that made regex fail on *BSD up to clisp-2.33.2.  (or you
> can compile it yourself configuring it to use the embedded regexp.c,
> or you could correct the type in the regexp module).

I'm using CLISP 2.33.2 (2004-06-02) on FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE. Installation
is straight forward on BSD, just follow the readme. I believe you can
install everything in your /home if you don't want to interfere with the
  rest of the system.

--
�yvin