From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Re: Testing for the existence of a file
news:<··········@odah37.prod.google.com>...

> > The unwashed multitudes are already descending on you to explain
how
> > the inability to do this portably shows how completely rubbish the
CL
> > pathname system is.  I'm sure they're right.
>
> I don't think I'll argue the point.  Although I did find the
functions
> ensure-directories-exist, user-homedir-pathname, and merge-pathnames
> useful.  Granted, I've just tried them on OpenMCL so far and haven't
> seen if they work on SBCL running on Linux.  Here's hoping.

Actually, the CL pathname system is largely OK, although people like
to be rude about it.  I just wrote a fairly substantial system in perl
which did a lot of pathname hackery (find a canonical relative path
between x and y for instance), and I basically reimplemented
substantial chunks of the CL pathname system.

--tim