From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Re: On "lisp machines"
Duncan Entwisle wrote:

> I can understand frustration at seeing people go down blind allies,
but
> I would suggest the best way to counter that is to point out other
> avenues to consider - as you have done with hardware garbage
collection
> strategies.

I would have thought the single most useful thing to do when
considering hardware approaches would be to become very familiar with
what modern processors look like, and in particular with the issues
that they have to solve in order to achieve good performance.  Many
people who propose new lisp-based architectures seem to do so from a
fairly standard CS viewpoint where machines are regarded as giant
PDP11s.  Reading Hennessy and Paterson would be a good place to start,
I think.

--tim