From: Marc Battyani
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] mod_lisp 2.38
mod_lisp version 2.38 is on the mod_lisp repository:
http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/public/open-source/mod_lisp

If you are using mod_lisp 2.35 or 2.36 you should upgrade to 2.38 which
fixes a bug introduced in 2.35 (when several Lisp processes share the same
Apache front-end).

From the change log:

  Version 2.38
  New "server-baseversion" and "modlisp-version" headers
  (Edi Weitz)

  Version 2.37
  Create new socket (instead of reusing) if IP/port combo has changed
  (Edi Weitz)

Thanks again to Edi :)

Marc

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: (Web programming) Newby Qs Re: [ANNOUNCE] mod_lisp 2.38
Marc Battyani wrote:
> mod_lisp version 2.38 is on the mod_lisp repository:
> http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/public/open-source/mod_lisp

Good timing. My latest project designed to keep me from doing any real
work is to set up a web site with various folks I know contributing
content and taking questions/comments from the public. So I need to cook
up something somewhere in the space between wikis and blogs.

Of course I'd like to develop this using Lisp. Seems to me I do the
mod_lisp thing or have some real run and install AllegroServe. I also
want to host this thing on OS X, just to make it even less likely I will
get anything done. Linux/OpenBSD would be the alternative.

I checked out the ALU wiki bit on Lisp-friendly hosting:

    http://alu.cliki.net/Lisp-friendly%20Web%20Hosting

Looks like mod_lisp+OpenBSD is a slam dunk at a couple of the
"friendlies". If I really want Mac OS X + mod_lisp do I have to run a T1
line into my house for <gasp> $250/month? (That's the other bad news: no
handy way to get onto to the information superhighway as a static IP.)
Talk to Roadrunner about getting a static IP (their site did not cough
up info on doing that)? Colocate for <gasp> $250/month?

Or should I just use PHP and get on with the project? <hisssss>

Other___________________________________?

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: David Steuber

> Looks like mod_lisp+OpenBSD is a slam dunk at a couple of the
> "friendlies". If I really want Mac OS X + mod_lisp do I have to run a
> T1 line into my house for <gasp> $250/month? (That's the other bad
> news: no handy way to get onto to the information superhighway as a
> static IP.) Talk to Roadrunner about getting a static IP (their site
> did not cough up info on doing that)? Colocate for <gasp> $250/month?

Have you priced business DSL?  I'm sure that is less.

I didn't know T1 prices had fallen so much.  Or do those prices not
include the ISP you need at the other end of the T1 line (not to
mention a block of IP addresses that you would need).

--
An ideal world is left as an excercise to the reader.
   --- Paul Graham, On Lisp 8.1
From: Drew Crampsie - Software Developer
Kenny Tilton wrote:
<snip>
> Looks like mod_lisp+OpenBSD is a slam dunk at a couple of the
> "friendlies". If I really want Mac OS X + mod_lisp do I have to run a T1
> line into my house for <gasp> $250/month? (That's the other bad news: no
> handy way to get onto to the information superhighway as a static IP.)
> Talk to Roadrunner about getting a static IP (their site did not cough
> up info on doing that)? Colocate for <gasp> $250/month?
>
> Or should I just use PHP and get on with the project? <hisssss>
>
> Other___________________________________?

http://dyndns.org is a great servic for those of us running servers on
dynamic ips... basiclly its maps a static domain name to your ip.. i've
been using it with great success .. and it's free for a simple dynamic
dns account.

http://tech-dev.ath.cx if you'd like to hit my server on a dynamic ip.

drewc

From: Marc Battyani
"Kenny Tilton" <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> Marc Battyani wrote:
> > mod_lisp version 2.38 is on the mod_lisp repository:
> > http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/public/open-source/mod_lisp
>
> Good timing. My latest project designed to keep me from doing any real
> work is to set up a web site with various folks I know contributing
> content and taking questions/comments from the public. So I need to cook
> up something somewhere in the space between wikis and blogs.
>
> Of course I'd like to develop this using Lisp. Seems to me I do the
> mod_lisp thing or have some real run and install AllegroServe. I also
> want to host this thing on OS X, just to make it even less likely I will
> get anything done. Linux/OpenBSD would be the alternative.

The easiest ways to start using mod_lisp are cl-modlisp and TBNL.
http://cl-modlisp.b9.com/
http://weitz.de/tbnl/

> I checked out the ALU wiki bit on Lisp-friendly hosting:
>
>     http://alu.cliki.net/Lisp-friendly%20Web%20Hosting
>
> Looks like mod_lisp+OpenBSD is a slam dunk at a couple of the
> "friendlies". If I really want Mac OS X + mod_lisp do I have to run a T1
> line into my house for <gasp> $250/month? (That's the other bad news: no
> handy way to get onto to the information superhighway as a static IP.)
> Talk to Roadrunner about getting a static IP (their site did not cough
> up info on doing that)? Colocate for <gasp> $250/month?

Switch to an ISP that will give you a fixed IP.
(BTW Roadrunner bluntly reject my emails and don't even reply to my request
to be put on a white list so I won't miss it)

> Or should I just use PHP and get on with the project? <hisssss>

Hehehe...Very good idea!

> Other___________________________________?

You can try Python or because Lisp is too slow (bwahahaha...;-)

Marc
From: Kenny Tilton
Thx, everyone. Looks like I have a lot of options. Verizon Viz DSL with
a static IP starts at $80. The dynds solution is intriguing, too. But it
occurs to me I better figure out exactly what the web site interaction
will be just in case I can sneak by with a small amount of PHP and just
go with classic web hosting. I got a lot to learn. Not even sure why
cl-modlisp is not suficient for dynamic web pages and TBNL is necessary.
Life ain't easy for us dinosaurs. :)

kenny

ps. anyone hear any rumors about upcoming Mac product releases, or is it
time to cash in one of my ADC discounts on a G5?

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Christopher C. Stacy
 Kenny> Thx, everyone. Looks like I have a lot of options. Verizon Viz
 Kenny> DSL with a static IP starts at $80.

Someone last week mentioned to me that they had just bought
service that includes a dedicated Linux server at a multihomed
T3 colo facility.  $50/month.
From: Peter Herth
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> ps. anyone hear any rumors about upcoming Mac product releases, or is it
> time to cash in one of my ADC discounts on a G5?

I have not heard rumors besides the new iMacs, yet if new things
are to come, its most likely that they get announced next
tuesday at the Mac Expo.

Peter

--
pet project: http://dawn.netcologne.de
homepage:    http://www.peter-herth.de
From: Kenny Tilton
Peter Herth wrote:
> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>

>>ps. anyone hear any rumors about upcoming Mac product releases, or is it
>>time to cash in one of my ADC discounts on a G5?
>

> I have not heard rumors besides the new iMacs, yet if new things
> are to come, its most likely that they get announced next
> tuesday at the Mac Expo.

<dopeslap> Omigod, thx, don't know what I was thinking. /of course/ I
have to wait for expo announcements. I think I was thrown by the iPod
announcements or the WWDC or something and thought the galas were done with.

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Edi Weitz
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 02:03:34 GMT, Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Not even sure why cl-modlisp is not suficient for dynamic web pages
> and TBNL is necessary. Life ain't easy for us dinosaurs. :)

cl-modlisp /is/ sufficient - it just depends on what you need or want
to have. Both cl-modlisp and TBNL complement mod_lisp (the C module
which is plugged into Apache) with Lisp code to help you generate your
applications. The idea is that you use one of them, not both.[1] You
could even get away with not using both but building your own code
based on the examples that come with mod_lisp.

It's a matter of convenience. I'd say that TBNL offers more of a
framework and, dare I say, better documentation. Won't help you in
particular, though, because you don't read docs... :)

Cheers,
Edi.

[1] Somewhere on common-lisp.net there's a short description saying
    that TBNL is based on cl-modlisp. That's my fault - it should say
    that TBNL is based on KMRCL.

--

"Lisp doesn't look any deader than usual to me."
(David Thornley, reply to a question older than most languages)

From: Kenny Tilton
Edi Weitz wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 02:03:34 GMT, Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Not even sure why cl-modlisp is not suficient for dynamic web pages
>>and TBNL is necessary. Life ain't easy for us dinosaurs. :)
>

> cl-modlisp /is/ sufficient - it just depends on what you need or want
> to have. Both cl-modlisp and TBNL complement mod_lisp (the C module
> which is plugged into Apache) with Lisp code to help you generate your
> applications. The idea is that you use one of them, not both.[1]

ok, thx for the clarification.

> It's a matter of convenience. I'd say that TBNL offers more of a
> framework and, dare I say, better documentation. Won't help you in
> particular, though, because you don't read docs... :)

True, but only because I /cannot/ read doc, either because I am too dim
or the doc is too impenetrable. Judges decision final. But I have a nice
thick "HTML Black Book" here and its cookbook approach fits my brain so
there is hope on that score at least. (And the doc on tbnl and mod lisp
all looked pretty good, I should add.)

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Edi Weitz
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:05:39 GMT, Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> True, but only because I /cannot/ read doc, either because I am too
> dim or the doc is too impenetrable. Judges decision final. But I
> have a nice thick "HTML Black Book" here and its cookbook approach
> fits my brain so there is hope on that score at least. (And the doc
> on tbnl and mod lisp all looked pretty good, I should add.)

Let me add that mod_lisp and TBNL (and cl-modlisp) are about the HTTP
part of the communication. You'll still have to generate HTML which is
another story. There are various libraries for this like (self-plug
again) CL-WHO or HTML-TEMPLATE depending on your taste and your needs.

Edi.

From: Stefan Scholl
On 2004-08-25 19:05:39, Kenny Tilton wrote:

> True, but only because I /cannot/ read doc, either because I am too dim
> or the doc is too impenetrable.

TBNL has a nice and easy example: test/test.lisp
From: Rob Warnock
| Colocate for <gasp> $250/month?
+---------------

There are co-lo ISPs that offer "dedicated servers" for as little
as $100/month [e.g., APlus.net] on which you can run anything at
all you like, including Apache, mod_lisp, Common Lisp, whatever.
[APlus will preload your system with your choice of FreeBSD (free),
Linux (free), or Windows (extra charge).]

+---------------
| If I really want Mac OS X + mod_lisp do I have to run a T1
| line into my house for <gasp> $250/month?
+---------------

Why do you need a whole T-1?!?  Speakeasy.net [my ISP] will give you
symmetric DSL and multiple static IPs for much less than *that*:

	384 Kb/s	$120/month
	768 Kb/s	$160/month
	1.1 Mb/s	$200/month

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Stefan Scholl
On 2004-08-26 14:58:53, Rob Warnock wrote:

> There are co-lo ISPs that offer "dedicated servers" for as little
> as $100/month

1&1 calls them "root server". And they cost $49/month.

Hmm. Apache 2 preinstalled. But it's no problem to switch back to
Apache 1.3 (needed for mod_lisp).