From: actuary77
Subject: tools for creating documentation for lisp?
What tools are available for generating html documentation for a lisp
application?

How can I incorporate cltl or hyperspec into emacs to provide
documentation of a function or function at point?

How can I turn acl html documenation into info file for incorporation into
emacs?

From: Matthew Danish
Subject: Re: tools for creating documentation for lisp?
On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 07:37:51PM -0400, actuary77 wrote:
> What tools are available for generating html documentation for a lisp
> application?

I've made use of LML in the past (http://lml.b9.com) and there are lots
of other similar packages (see http://www.cliki.net), plus I think lots
of people roll their own, it is so simple.

> How can I incorporate cltl or hyperspec into emacs to provide
> documentation of a function or function at point?

There are copies of hyperspec.el floating around, but if you use the
SLIME Lisp IDE for emacs then it is already incorporated: C-c C-d h.

--
;;;; Matthew Danish -- user: mrd domain: cmu.edu
;;;; OpenPGP public key: C24B6010 on keyring.debian.org
From: Albert Reiner
["actuary77" <·········@nospam.comcast.net>, Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:37:51 -0400]:
> What tools are available for generating html documentation for a lisp
> application?

If you like literate programming, several tools can generate html
documentation.  Noweb is one of them.

Albert.
From: Drew Crampsie - Software Developer
actuary77 wrote:
> What tools are available for generating html documentation for a lisp
> application?

For all my projects in any language i use the amazing LEO editor :

http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html

its an editor for literate organisation of your source tree. i use it
side by side with emacs. it's written in python, and runs just about
anywhere.

my pet project is a re-implementation in CL using McClim.. it's a great
editor if you are into outlines and literate programming. And, as noweb
was mentioned in this thread, i'll mention that leo can import and
export noweb files.

I use it + the wonderful RST2 plugin to create all my documentation in
both HTML and plain text. give it a shot, the learning curve is a little
steep, but the ROI , for me at least, was about a 30% increase in
productivity, and greatly improved documentation.

drewc
From: Ian J Cottee
Drew Crampsie - Software Developer wrote:

> For all my projects in any language i use the amazing LEO editor :
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html
>
> its an editor for literate organisation of your source tree. i use it
> side by side with emacs. it's written in python, and runs just about
> anywhere.

Interesting. I always thought I'd have to drop emacs to use Leo. Maybe I
should bit the bullet.

Ian
From: Drew Crampsie - Software Developer
Ian J Cottee wrote:
> Drew Crampsie - Software Developer wrote:
>
>> For all my projects in any language i use the amazing LEO editor :
>>
>> http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html
>>
>> its an editor for literate organisation of your source tree. i use it
>> side by side with emacs. it's written in python, and runs just about
>> anywhere.
>

> Interesting. I always thought I'd have to drop emacs to use Leo. Maybe I
> should bit the bullet.

Drop emacs? Never! :) leo comes with a number of useful plugins.. the
xemacs plugin being the one i use. I rarely use leos internal text
editor for anything but the quickest edit, because it's not a great
editor, and i'm used to using VI keystrokes in whatever editor i happen
to be using (VIM or Viper-mode).

Look here for a screenshot of me using leo + emacs for a recent project:
http://tech-dev.ath.cx/~drewc/leo-emacs.jpg (the window manager is the
amazing ion3, in case anyone is wondering)

It works with VIM as well, or even *gasp*, MSWord (or so i've heard).
And with a little python it can be extended to meet your specific needs.
for example, i have a little script that updates my postgres DB from a
node, which really helps when developing a database. the only real
problem is that it's python and not lisp. I hope to solve this one
someday , in my CopiousFreeTime(tm).

drewc

From: Ian J Cottee
Drew Crampsie - Software Developer wrote:

> Look here for a screenshot of me using leo + emacs for a recent project:
> http://tech-dev.ath.cx/~drewc/leo-emacs.jpg (the window manager is the
> amazing ion3, in case anyone is wondering)

Many thanks for that. Very helpful - even though the sight of Perl code
temporarily stunned me ;)

> It works with VIM as well, or even *gasp*, MSWord (or so i've heard).
> And with a little python it can be extended to meet your specific needs.
> for example, i have a little script that updates my postgres DB from a
> node, which really helps when developing a database. the only real
> problem is that it's python and not lisp. I hope to solve this one
> someday , in my CopiousFreeTime(tm).

As somebody who uses Python and Postgres in their everyday work that's
even more interesting. Looks like it does require an amount of study
however so I shall move it to my todo list, right after finishing this
lisp book (as he quickly gets back on topic :) ).

Many thanks once again

Ian
From: Jesper Harder
"actuary77" <·········@nospam.comcast.net> writes:

> How can I incorporate cltl or hyperspec into emacs to provide
> documentation of a function or function at point?

You can convert dpANS to Texinfo for convenient access from Emacs, cf.
<http:/purl.org/harder/dpans.html>.

--
Jesper Harder
From: norman werner
"actuary77" <·········@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message news:<································@localhost.talkaboutprogramming.com>...
> What tools are available for generating html documentation for a lisp
> application?

I wrote a simple latex-generating utility for/by myself. It lets me
write in my lisp-file things like:

(doc  :type "variable" :name '*allowed-targets*
      :documentation '("Eine Liste der moeglichen Zielgruppen fuer
ihre Dokumentation. Die Position in der Liste legt implizit auch fest
welche Abschnitte in der fertigen Dokumentation zuerst erscheinen."))

but usually i generate documentation out of something like:

(norman:define-function
 between
 :documentation "ist non-nil, falls x zwischen unterer und oberer
Schranke liegt"
 :examples (((4 1 12) -> T)
	    ((4 5 12) -> NIL))
 :definition (defun between (x untere_schranke obere_schranke)
	       (and (> x untere_schranke)
		    (< x obere_schranke))))

which incorporates the documentation string and the
examples into my latex-file.

The Implementation was straight forward - i may also supply some
source.

Norman
From: Mike
In article <································@localhost.talkaboutprogramming.com>, actuary77 wrote:
> What tools are available for generating html documentation for a lisp
> application?
>
> How can I incorporate cltl or hyperspec into emacs to provide
> documentation of a function or function at point?
>
> How can I turn acl html documenation into info file for incorporation into
> emacs?

What about combining a wiki with the lisp code? Use tags within
the wiki to indicate when code starts and stops. Maybe:

* Abstract

This does something.

* Description

This does something useful.

()
(defun f (x) (* x 2))
()
From: John Thingstad

>> How can I turn acl html documenation into info file for incorporation
>> into
>> emacs?

1) I would covert the HTML into XHTML. this is simple. test the syntax and
add some tags
2) I would read the XML into memory using a XML DOM reader
3) write a program to traverse the DOM tree and grind texinfo text
4) run makeinfo on the texi files

Obviously step 3 involves real work.
I'm not sure if DOM offers any real advantages over SAX for this.

I once asked Franz if they were planning to release the documentation in
info format
and they informed me they had no plans for that. (That was about four
years ago)