From: ··········@tfeb.org
Subject: Re: Cheap, Good Lisps For Novices
> another version.  It loaded the IDE finally, but it was a terrible
> looking and the fonts were pretty much unreadable.

I think that this is slightly unfair to LW.  It is indeed a complete
nightmare to get Motif apps running on Linux boxes but it's a complete
nightmare for all Motif apps generally - there are just so many
marginally-compatible versions of Linux and motif or motif-compatible
libraries around that it's never going to be easy.

The default appearance for LW on Linux is definitely horrible - they
should do something about this (and they may have).  I have a
better-looking set of app-defaults, which I could provide if anyone
cares (not for the most recent LW though, which I don't have, but I
think they'll work).

My experience with LW stability on Linux is that it's just fine - my
guess is that you had some motif mismatch which was killing you. I
think I *can* reliably kill LW, but I have to work fairly hard at it.
Similarly for support - if you got no reply I'm rather surprised as
they've been pretty good in my experience (as have all the commercial
Lisp vendors I've dealt with).

But this is mostly beside the point isn't it - wasn't the original
poster asking about Windows?  I doubt motif version skew matters there.
--tim