From: neo88
Subject: Bots in Lisp?
Hi guys,
I have been thinking about writing a bot (probably for IRC), and was
wondering if this could be done fairly easily in Lisp. I know it is
fairly easy to build a KB with Lisp, but what about the advantages a
langauge such as Perl would offer to the speed of extracting key words
from input to give sensible answers. Can Lisp do this as fast as Perl
can?
What other factors are there to desinging a bot?
Thanks.

--
May the Source be with you.
neo88 (Philip Haddad)

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Bots in Lisp?
······@truevine.net (neo88) writes:

> Hi guys,
> I have been thinking about writing a bot (probably for IRC), and was
> wondering if this could be done fairly easily in Lisp. I know it is
> fairly easy to build a KB with Lisp, but what about the advantages a
> langauge such as Perl would offer to the speed of extracting key words
> from input to give sensible answers. Can Lisp do this as fast as Perl
> can?

In which language do you think minion is programmed?
Does it feel fast enough for you?

> What other factors are there to desinging a bot?
> Thanks.

neither do we.
From: neo88
Pascal Bourguignon <····@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message news:<··············@thalassa.informatimago.com>...
> ······@truevine.net (neo88) writes:
>
> > Hi guys,
> > I have been thinking about writing a bot (probably for IRC), and was
> > wondering if this could be done fairly easily in Lisp. I know it is
> > fairly easy to build a KB with Lisp, but what about the advantages a
> > langauge such as Perl would offer to the speed of extracting key words
> > from input to give sensible answers. Can Lisp do this as fast as Perl
> > can?
>
> In which language do you think minion is programmed?
> Does it feel fast enough for you?

Let me guess... Lisp. minion is pretty fast, although it seems like
database lookup can be slow from time to time, but maybe that's cause
he's getting to many requests.

--
May the Source be with you.
neo88 (Philip Haddad)
From: John Thingstad
regexps in lisp are known to be fatster than in perl due to the fact that
each regexp gets compiled to machine code rahter than run through an
interpreter.
So yes you can expect better performance in lisp. The question is.. do you
need it?

From: Michael Hudson
······@truevine.net (neo88) writes:

> Hi guys,
> I have been thinking about writing a bot (probably for IRC), and was
> wondering if this could be done fairly easily in Lisp. I know it is
> fairly easy to build a KB with Lisp, but what about the advantages a
> langauge such as Perl would offer to the speed of extracting key words
> from input to give sensible answers.

Say what?  I really can't think of a language where it would be hard
to do this fast enough.  Hell, bash + associated text utility programs
would be fine.

> Can Lisp do this as fast as Perl can?  What other factors are there
> to desinging a bot?  Thanks.

Remember "premature optimization ..."

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I'd certainly be shocked to discover a consensus.  ;-)
                                             -- Aahz, comp.lang.python
From: Colin Cowan
Take a look at what is already available:

www.cliki.net/Lisp%20IRC%20Bots

https://sourceforge.net/projects/claim/
From: neo88
···············@yahoo.com (Colin Cowan) wrote in message news:<····························@posting.google.com>...
> Take a look at what is already available:
>
> www.cliki.net/Lisp%20IRC%20Bots
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/claim/

I've looked at both of those links, and I found them to be quite
interesting, espcially the first one. I was looking for a bot's source
to read, one in CMUCL, since that is what I'll be using, and found
WmBot. And after I *finally* got ASDF working, I should be able to
load cl-irc.
Since I've never done any network programming before though, I have to
start with the basics of that :-) I have already read Mario Mommer's
documentation on it in the CMU-User's Guide. But I need some more
references that show more of what is involved. Google doesn't do so
well, returning a lot on C++ networking and such. I am not expecting
to be able to write this thing in just a few short weeks either, since
I'm still a bit new to Lisp, I relieze this could take some time.

--
May the Source be with you.
neo88 (Philip Haddad)
From: neo88
> And after I *finally* got ASDF working, I should be able to
> load cl-irc.

Should be able to get cl-irc working is about right. I keep getting
this error when doing:

(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :cl-irc)
==>
Unable to display error condition: Error in format: Unknown format
directive.
  ·@<component ~S not found~
             ·@[ or does not match version ~A~]~
             ·@[ in ~A~]·@:>
                            ^
   [Condition of type ASDF:MISSING-COMPONENT]

The full backtrace can be found here:
http://paste.lisp.org/display/2379
So I guess my question is what are the missing components that asdf is
complaining about? I have all of the cl-irc files symlinked in the
manner described here: http://constantly.at/lisp/asdf/

Can someone please help me? I really want to get this working! Thanks.

--
May the Source be with you.
neo88 (Philip Haddad)
From: John Thingstad
You seem to have negelected saying with what lisp and os you are working
with.

From: neo88
"John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> wrote in message news:<················@mjolner.upc.no>...
> You seem to have negelected saying with what lisp and os you are working
> with.

CMUCL 18e on Mandrake Linux 9.1

--
May the Source be with you.
neo88 (Philip Haddad)
From: Marco Antoniotti
neo88 wrote:
>>And after I *finally* got ASDF working, I should be able to
>>load cl-irc.
>

> Should be able to get cl-irc working is about right. I keep getting
> this error when doing:
>
> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :cl-irc)
> ==>
> Unable to display error condition: Error in format: Unknown format
> directive.
>   ·@<component ~S not found~
>              ·@[ or does not match version ~A~]~
>              ·@[ in ~A~]·@:>
>                             ^
>    [Condition of type ASDF:MISSING-COMPONENT]
>
> The full backtrace can be found here:
> http://paste.lisp.org/display/2379
> So I guess my question is what are the missing components that asdf is
> complaining about? I have all of the cl-irc files symlinked in the
> manner described here: http://constantly.at/lisp/asdf/
>
> Can someone please help me? I really want to get this working! Thanks.

I bet this is a UNIX/DOS end of line mess.

Check the file encoding and the ~<newline> in the format string.  Maybe
your lisp on DOS or UNIX does not recognize the proper ~<newline> coming
from UNIX or DOS.

Cheers
--
Marco
From: neo88
> I bet this is a UNIX/DOS end of line mess.
>
> Check the file encoding and the ~<newline> in the format string.  Maybe
> your lisp on DOS or UNIX does not recognize the proper ~<newline> coming
> from UNIX or DOS.
>
> Cheers

Well, I got it so that now asdf hangs with the error
"MISSING-DEPENDENCY" instead of "MISSING-COMPONENT" as before. I
actually hangs right after it starts to make the package cl-irc. I
think what I am going to have to do is get all of the files form
viewcvs and make them a tarball myself gzip them, then tar xzfv them
over the older ones. That is my next plan anyways, it'll a wee bit
time-consuming, so I probably won't be able to get to it for the next
24 hours anyways :-(

--
May the Source be with you.
neo88 (Philip Haddad)