From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Which impls support Allegro's simple-streams proposal?
I know Allegro does. I've heard tell of others but haven't really
tracked it down. And of those that do, which ones automatically make a
simple-stream when OPEN is called with no :element-type?

-Peter

From: Duane Rettig
Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:

> I know Allegro does. I've heard tell of others but haven't really
> tracked it down. And of those that do, which ones automatically make a
> simple-stream when OPEN is called with no :element-type?

I know that both CMUCL and SBCL have implementations (based on
Paul Foley's initial implementation), and I know that there are
people who work on these two versions, but I don't know how
active it is.

I exchanged mail with Rudi Schlatte last month, about a quick talk
he gave at LSM2004 (he is an sbcl simple-streams developer).  He
pointed me to
http://common-lisp.net/mailman/listinfo/streams-standard-discuss,
but there's not yet any discssion there.

From: Raymond Toy

    Duane> Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:
    >> I know Allegro does. I've heard tell of others but haven't really
    >> tracked it down. And of those that do, which ones automatically make a
    >> simple-stream when OPEN is called with no :element-type?

    Duane> I know that both CMUCL and SBCL have implementations (based on
    Duane> Paul Foley's initial implementation), and I know that there are
    Duane> people who work on these two versions, but I don't know how
    Duane> active it is.

I don't know of anyone actually using CMUCL's simple-streams.

CMUCL's OPEN only creates simple-streams if you ask it to.

Ray
From: Peter Seibel
Raymond Toy <···········@ericsson.com> writes:

>     Duane> Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:
>     >> I know Allegro does. I've heard tell of others but haven't really
>     >> tracked it down. And of those that do, which ones automatically make a
>     >> simple-stream when OPEN is called with no :element-type?
>
>     Duane> I know that both CMUCL and SBCL have implementations (based on
>     Duane> Paul Foley's initial implementation), and I know that there are
>     Duane> people who work on these two versions, but I don't know how
>     Duane> active it is.
>
> I don't know of anyone actually using CMUCL's simple-streams.
>
> CMUCL's OPEN only creates simple-streams if you ask it to.

How do you ask it?

-Peter

From: David Golden
Peter Seibel wrote:

>> CMUCL's OPEN only creates simple-streams if you ask it to.
>
> How do you ask it?

nicely.
From: Raymond Toy

    Peter> Raymond Toy <···········@ericsson.com> writes:
    >> CMUCL's OPEN only creates simple-streams if you ask it to.

    Peter> How do you ask it?

This seems to work:

(open "/etc/motd" :direction :input :class 'stream:file-simple-stream)

But I'm not a simple-stream user.

Ray
From: Gareth McCaughan
Raymond Toy wrote:

> I don't know of anyone actually using CMUCL's simple-streams.

My hazy recollection is that Allegro's simple-streams were created
because they couldn't make Gray streams efficient enough for some
of their customers' applications. So presumably Allegro's implementation
of simple-streams is used for the sake of some combination of
flexibility and efficiency. Does CMUCL's implementation have
the same property, or is its principal virtue compatibility
with ACL?

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc
From: Raymond Toy

    Gareth> Raymond Toy wrote:
    >> I don't know of anyone actually using CMUCL's simple-streams.

    Gareth> My hazy recollection is that Allegro's simple-streams were created
    Gareth> because they couldn't make Gray streams efficient enough for some
    Gareth> of their customers' applications. So presumably Allegro's implementation
    Gareth> of simple-streams is used for the sake of some combination of
    Gareth> flexibility and efficiency. Does CMUCL's implementation have
    Gareth> the same property, or is its principal virtue compatibility
    Gareth> with ACL?

Paul Foley (who wrote cmucl's implementation of simple-streams) said
it was quite fast, up to 2 times faster than cmucl's streams in some
cases, IIRC.  I don't know what tests he did though.

I have not measured it.

Ray