From: Jim Newton
Subject: executing cmucl from unix command line
does anyone know how to run cmucl from the UNIX command line.
I want it to simply start, evaluate an expression, and exit.

something like the following

lisp -eval '(format t "hello world~%)'

-jim
| Jim E. Newton (·····@cadence.com)            desk +49-(0)89-4563-1918  |
| Methodology Services Europe                   fax +49-(0)89-4563-1819  |
| Cadence Design Systems GmbH                            Munich Germany  |
|           If you won't do it in the rain, you won't do it.             |

From: Frank Buss
Subject: Re: executing cmucl from unix command line
Jim Newton <·····@cadence.com> wrote:

> does anyone know how to run cmucl from the UNIX command line.
> I want it to simply start, evaluate an expression, and exit.
>
> something like the following
>
> lisp -eval '(format t "hello world~%)'

see
http://groups.google.de/groups?selm=54KdndLa5cO9DErd4p2dnA%40speakeasy.net

--
Frank Bu�, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Edi Weitz
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:10:28 +0200, Jim Newton <·····@cadence.com> wrote:

> does anyone know how to run cmucl from the UNIX command line.  I
> want it to simply start, evaluate an expression, and exit.
>
> something like the following
>
> lisp -eval '(format t "hello world~%)'

With a normal CMUCL install 'man lisp' should answer that question.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

"Lisp doesn't look any deader than usual to me."
(David Thornley, reply to a question older than most languages)

From: Jim Newton
if 'man lisp' does nothing, then should i assume it is not
installed correctly?

lisp<<EOF
? (format t "hello world ~%")
? (quit)
? EOF

hmm a here file seems to work correcly on my installation at
home but on my installation in the office (at work) it
says something about stdin closed reverting to tty input.
:-(

could that be a difference between the x86 and the
sparc installation?

-jim

From: Edi Weitz
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 21:56:06 +0200, Jim Newton <·····@rdrop.com> wrote:

> if 'man lisp' does nothing, then should i assume it is not installed
> correctly?

Probably.

> lisp<<EOF
> ? (format t "hello world ~%")
> ? (quit)
> ? EOF
>
> hmm a here file seems to work correcly on my installation at home
> but on my installation in the office (at work) it says something
> about stdin closed reverting to tty input.  :-(
>
> could that be a difference between the x86 and the sparc
> installation?

Are the version numbers the same?

You should better ask these question on the CMUCL mailing list:

  <http://www.cons.org/cmucl/support.html>

Cheers,
Edi.

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Jim Newton <·····@rdrop.com> writes:
> Edi Weitz wrote:
> > On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:10:28 +0200, Jim Newton <·····@cadence.com> wrote:
> >
> >>does anyone know how to run cmucl from the UNIX command line.  I
> >>want it to simply start, evaluate an expression, and exit.
> >>
> >>something like the following
> >>
> >>lisp -eval '(format t "hello world~%)'
> > With a normal CMUCL install 'man lisp' should answer that question.
> > Cheers,
> > Edi.
>
> if 'man lisp' does nothing, then should i assume it is not
> installed correctly?
>
> lisp<<EOF
> ? (format t "hello world ~%")
> ? (quit)
> ? EOF
>

> hmm a here file seems to work correcly on my installation at
> home but on my installation in the office (at work) it
> says something about stdin closed reverting to tty input.
> :-(
>
> could that be a difference between the x86 and the
> sparc installation?

Before phantasming about target differences, perhaps you should notice
that he missed a double-quote between % and ).

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Jim Newton
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> Jim Newton <·····@rdrop.com> writes:
>
>>Edi Weitz wrote:

> Before phantasming about target differences, perhaps you should notice
> that he missed a double-quote between % and ).

yes, a missing " was only missing from the mail message, not from
the actual lisp program. grins

-jim
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Jim Newton <·····@cadence.com> writes:

> does anyone know how to run cmucl from the UNIX command line.
> I want it to simply start, evaluate an expression, and exit.
>
> something like the following
>
> lisp -eval '(format t "hello world~%)'

JUST SAY IT!

  lisp -eval '(format t "hello world~%")(quit)'

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein
From: Rob Warnock
Pascal Bourguignon  <····@thalassa.informatimago.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Jim Newton <·····@cadence.com> writes:
| > I want it to simply start, evaluate an expression, and exit.
| > something like the following
| > lisp -eval '(format t "hello world~%)'
|
| JUST SAY IT!
|   lisp -eval '(format t "hello world~%")(quit)'
+---------------

Actually, even though that works in 19a-pre3, I'd probably do this for
robustness [and to suppress ";Loading..." chatter and uncertainty about
what's in the user's init file]:

    % lisp -noinit -eval '(progn (format t "hello world~%")(quit))'
    hello world
    %

-Rob

-----