From: Antonio Menezes Leitao
Subject: [ANN] Linj available for Allegro CL
Hi,

I'm pleased to inform that, thanks to Franz, Linj (the Lisp to Java
compiler) is available for Linux/Allegro CL.  You can download it at:

http://www.evaluator.pt/download.html

I also tried to compile Linj in other Common Lisp implementations but I
discovered a few annoying bugs in those implementations and we will have
to wait until they are corrected (I did report them to the implementors).

Other environments (MacOSX and FreeBSD) are on my list, most probably
using Allegro CL again.

Comments are very welcome!

Best regards,

Antonio Leitao
eValuator

From: Luis Oliveira
Subject: Re: [ANN] Linj available for Allegro CL
Antonio Menezes Leitao skribis:
> I also tried to compile Linj in other Common Lisp implementations but I
> discovered a few annoying bugs in those implementations and we will have
> to wait until they are corrected (I did report them to the implementors).

Yes, clisp and/or sbcl would be nice.

Great piece of software, btw. I will certainly send you some comments
when I have time to properly test-ride it.

--
Luís Oliveira                                         Lisp is the red pill.
From: William Bland
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:31:00 +0100, Luis Oliveira wrote:

> Antonio Menezes Leitao skribis:
>> I also tried to compile Linj in other Common Lisp implementations but I
>> discovered a few annoying bugs in those implementations and we will have
>> to wait until they are corrected (I did report them to the implementors).
>
> Yes, clisp and/or sbcl would be nice.
>
> Great piece of software, btw. I will certainly send you some comments
> when I have time to properly test-ride it.

I'm also planning to try Linj soon - it does look interesting.  FWIW
though, I'd find it even more interesting if it could do the opposite too,
i.e. translation of Java programs into CL.  I'm guessing even just writing
a Java parser is a pretty big job though!

Cheers,
	Bill.
--
Dr. William Bland.
It would not be too unfair to any language to refer to Java as a
From: Antonio Menezes Leitao
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:47:56 +0000, William Bland wrote:

> I'm also planning to try Linj soon - it does look interesting.  FWIW
> though, I'd find it even more interesting if it could do the opposite
> too, i.e. translation of Java programs into CL.  I'm guessing even just
> writing a Java parser is a pretty big job though!

I've been working on two different things that might interest you:

 - A translator from Java to Linj that translates just
   methods signatures (leaving the methods body untouched) so that you can
   add Linj code to the translation result without messing with the
   remaining Java code.

 - A pre-processor for Java files that allows you to easily write
   domain-specific languages for Java.  You can read something about it in
   the proceedings of ILC 2003.  BTW, anyone knows what happened to these
   proceedings?

I have another project (that will start soon) to provide general
translation from Java to Linj.  Note that it is significantly easier to
translate from Java to Linj than it is to translate from Java to Common
Lisp because almost all Java programs make heavy use of Java libraries and
these are not easy to translate to Common Lisp.

Note that Linj is not exactly CL.  It tries to imitate CL as much as
possible but there are lots of things in CL which are rather difficult to
translate into _readable_ Java code.  What "readable Java code" really
means is arguable but I hope Linj output can be considered as such.

Best regards,

Antonio Leitao.