From: Matthew
Subject: Lisp Development on Mac OS X
Hi! What would you say is (in your opinion) the best Lisp development
environment/ide/program for the mac os x platform? I am just starting
out with lisp and cannot decide on one, so any help would be great.
Thanks in advance!

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: Lisp Development on Mac OS X
On 19 Apr 2004 15:58:48 -0700, ········@nessiness.com (Matthew) wrote:

> Hi! What would you say is (in your opinion) the best Lisp
> development environment/ide/program for the mac os x platform? I am
> just starting out with lisp and cannot decide on one, so any help
> would be great.  Thanks in advance!

Rainer Joswig's ILC 2003 talk was about this topic

  <http://lispm.dyndns.org:8000/lisp/lisp-and-macosx.pdf>.

The server seems to be down at the moment, though.

Edi.
From: David Steuber
········@nessiness.com (Matthew) writes:

> Hi! What would you say is (in your opinion) the best Lisp development
> environment/ide/program for the mac os x platform? I am just starting
> out with lisp and cannot decide on one, so any help would be great.
> Thanks in advance!

Free, proprietary, or all of the above?

I don't know about best, but I've been using this:

  http://www.david-steuber.com/~david/Lisp/OSX/

What I like about this setup is that it is essentially identical to
using SBCL on Linux with Emacs + SLIME.  The one downside though is
that Carbon Emacs is still not completely stable.  SLIME is much
better behaved in the stable release of Emacs that is in
Debian/testing.

I play in both playgrounds, so having the same environment in each is
a major plus for me.

--
I wouldn't mind the rat race so much if it wasn't for all the damn cats.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <····························@posting.google.com>,
 ········@nessiness.com (Matthew) wrote:

> Hi! What would you say is (in your opinion) the best Lisp development
> environment/ide/program for the mac os x platform? I am just starting
> out with lisp and cannot decide on one, so any help would be great.
> Thanks in advance!

Check out LispWorks for the Mac. You can download a
personal version. MCL might also be interesting
(there is more source for it).
From: gantar
Matthew wrote:
> Hi! What would you say is (in your opinion) the best Lisp development
> environment/ide/program for the mac os x platform? I am just starting
> out with lisp and cannot decide on one, so any help would be great.
> Thanks in advance!

If you are still in the process of learning Lisp,
Bruno Haible's CLISP is probably the easiest to use
and install. Just the press the button and step
back (CLISP is fink'ed). It is a more or less
ANSI-CL-compliant implementation. I'm using it
and I'm one happy camper.

http://clisp.cons.org
From: David Steuber
gantar <········@uptime.at> writes:

> Matthew wrote:
> > Hi! What would you say is (in your opinion) the best Lisp development
> > environment/ide/program for the mac os x platform? I am just starting
> > out with lisp and cannot decide on one, so any help would be great.
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> If you are still in the process of learning Lisp,
> Bruno Haible's CLISP is probably the easiest to use
> and install. Just the press the button and step
> back (CLISP is fink'ed). It is a more or less
> ANSI-CL-compliant implementation. I'm using it
> and I'm one happy camper.

CLISP is also in Darwin Ports as is OpenMCL.  I expect OpenMCL is
available in Fink as well.  Anyway, it is another Lisp to try.
OpenMCL also has a Cocoa bridge, although I haven't tried that as I am
still in the learning Lisp stage and Cocoa is even bigger.

Isn't there also a free edition of LispWorks available for OS X?  I
don't know if that offers less resistance or not.  I would expect it
to be in a dmg for one click installation.  Ok, two clicks.

SBCL is available from CVS.  I don't know if they also have Mac
binaries that are in dmgs.

I'm being more unixy in my approach (and lean towards free software):

From: Friedrich Dominicus
David Steuber <·····@david-steuber.com> writes:

> Isn't there also a free edition of LispWorks available for OS X?
Yes
http://www.lispworks.com/downloads/lw-personal-edition.html

> SBCL is available from CVS.  I don't know if they also have Mac
> binaries that are in dmgs.
It's finkable. And runs on Mac OS X here nicely.

IMHO Digitools Lisp is the most integrated Lisp on Mac OS X (which
should be no suprise it's their "home-platform". LispWorks is a very
interesting cross platform development tool, their CAPI stuff runs on
all supported platform ...

Regards
Friedrich
--
Please remove just-for-news to reply via e-mail.
From: Rainer Joswig
Friedrich Dominicus <···················@q-software-solutions.de> wrote in message news:<··············@fbigm.here>...
> David Steuber <·····@david-steuber.com> writes:
>

> > Isn't there also a free edition of LispWorks available for OS X?
> Yes
> http://www.lispworks.com/downloads/lw-personal-edition.html
> >
> > SBCL is available from CVS.  I don't know if they also have Mac
> > binaries that are in dmgs.
> It's finkable. And runs on Mac OS X here nicely.
>
> IMHO Digitools Lisp is the most integrated Lisp on Mac OS X (which
> should be no suprise it's their "home-platform". LispWorks is a very
> interesting cross platform development tool, their CAPI stuff runs on
> all supported platform ...
>
> Regards
> Friedrich

MCL's home platform is more like Carbon (available for Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X).
Currently MCL lacks a lot stuff, before I would say it is at home with
Mac OS X. Probably most annoying for me would be the old style event loop,
which causes MCL to be busy all the time - which is no good idea
on laptops and other 'heat'-sensitive Macs. I don't know if
MCL 5.1 will change that - one would need to ask Digitool about that.

LispWorks ironically is much more at home on Mac OS X - it fits
well into both the Cocoa/Aqua-world and the Unix/Terminal/X11-world.
Of all Lisp systems on the Mac, it has the best and most complete
development environment by far.
From: Friedrich Dominicus
······@corporate-world.lisp.de (Rainer Joswig) writes:

> MCL's home platform is more like Carbon (available for Mac OS 9 and
> Mac OS X).
I think you are right here.

> LispWorks ironically is much more at home on Mac OS X - it fits
> well into both the Cocoa/Aqua-world and the Unix/Terminal/X11-world.
> Of all Lisp systems on the Mac, it has the best and most complete
> development environment by far.
Well I knew LispWorks before and therefor my learning curve was not
really one. I'm not really home in MCL but at least I found my way
around. I feel however that I'm missing a lot (which might be there
but which I had not found), e.g completion in the listener. It took me
quite a while to find a way to customize faces, but I manages it
finally.

But MCL offers some GUI-Designer which I miss on LispWorks..., and I
think some things are more convenient.

However better any Common Lisp than no Lisp at all ;-)

--
Please remove just-for-news- to reply via e-mail.
From: Espen Vestre
Friedrich Dominicus <···················@q-software-solutions.de> writes:

> But MCL offers some GUI-Designer which I miss on LispWorks..., and I
> think some things are more convenient.

Are you thinking of the interface designer of MCL? It's been quite a while
since I tried it, but is it really better than the one in LW?
--
  (espen)
From: Friedrich Dominicus
Espen Vestre <·····@*do-not-spam-me*.vestre.net> writes:

> Friedrich Dominicus <···················@q-software-solutions.de> writes:
>
>> But MCL offers some GUI-Designer which I miss on LispWorks..., and I
>> think some things are more convenient.
>
> Are you thinking of the interface designer of MCL? It's been quite a
> while
> since I tried it, but is it really better than the one in LW?
Well it exists at least, it does not exist in LispWorks on Mac OS X. An
interface builder seems to be only available for Windows and Linux
(Unices?)

Regards
Friedrich
--
Please remove just-for-news- to reply via e-mail.