From: Ivan Boldyrev
Subject: [UFFI or CMUCL Alien] Can I use use printf-like C function from CMUCL?

I'd like call C function with variable number of arguments (like
printf or scanf) from Lisp (particulary, CMU CL 18e).

I guess, I can't do it with UFFI.  But I can't understand from docs
how I can call it with CMU CL Alien facility.

I try to use UFFI in my project for better portability, but provide
some extensions for CMU CL (and may be SBCL) because UFFI dosn't
provide some features *yet*...

For those who is interested: I am working on PVM bindings for Common
Lisp and I am going to release it under MIT-like license.  Function I
want to call is

  extern int pvm_packf(const char *fmt, ...);

- --
Ivan Boldyrev

       Assembly of a Japanese bicycle requires greatest peace of spirit.

From: Marco Antoniotti
Ivan Boldyrev wrote:

> I'd like call C function with variable number of arguments (like
> printf or scanf) from Lisp (particulary, CMU CL 18e).
>
> I guess, I can't do it with UFFI.  But I can't understand from docs
> how I can call it with CMU CL Alien facility.
>
> I try to use UFFI in my project for better portability, but provide
> some extensions for CMU CL (and may be SBCL) because UFFI dosn't
> provide some features *yet*...
>
> For those who is interested: I am working on PVM bindings for Common
> Lisp and I am going to release it under MIT-like license.  Function I
> want to call is
>
>   extern int pvm_packf(const char *fmt, ...);

As an aside,  I think Beppe Attardi had a PVM binding for what was then
EcoLisp (now ECL).

marco
From: Ivan Boldyrev

On 8716 day of my life Marco Antoniotti wrote:
> Ivan Boldyrev wrote:
>> For those who is interested: I am working on PVM bindings for Common
>> Lisp and I am going to release it under MIT-like license.  Function I
>> want to call is
>>   extern int pvm_packf(const char *fmt, ...);
>
> As an aside,  I think Beppe Attardi had a PVM binding for what was
> then EcoLisp (now ECL).

I see, ecl-*/contrib/pvm has bunch of code.  Curprisingly, ECL is
faster than I expected.

BTW, I desided to implement pvm_packf analugue in Lisp.  It just a
frontend to other PVM functions.  So, I can parse format string myself
and emulate C implementation.  Or use something more lispy than just
string...

- --
Ivan Boldyrev