From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Cello scroller widget screen shot
Christophe was so keen on a comparison, I thought I would make it a
little easier for him. Side-by-inside, if you will on win32 (no matter
what your eyes tell you):

    ftp://common-lisp.net/pub/project/cello/screenshots/scroller.jpg

I slay myself. No charge for the advertising, btw. :)

Note that what is shown is not just the scroller widget, which is an
invisible container just surrounding the scroll pane, bars, and resizer.
Surrounding the scroller by a quarter inch or so is a pane in which the
scroller is embedded. (you are actually looking at a precursor to my
next project, the "file open" dialog. that will require both pop-up
menus and a textedit widget.)

Really, anything cosmetic in Cello is easily overridden, tho scrollers
are tricky because they are deep things to parameterize: the thumb parts
are children of the slider, in turn a child of the scroll bar which is a
child of the scroller. And there is a mac-p initarg on the scrollbar
which controls whether both arrows end up at the same end.

What you cannot see is that it all works pretty well. That scroller is
specified as Resizeable, so you can so so and watch the scroll thumbs
change size on the fly. clicking above or below the thumb now correctlt
moves just a page. oops, which reminds me, I have to implement the
feature which says that holding after the click makes the scroller
scroll by pages until the mouse is released, albeit after waiting
double-click time. this should be easy since I had it working nicely for
the stepper arrows until god-knows-what-I-did ... just noticed that
stopped working at some point.

The way I did that is kinda fun. The GLUT pegs the CPU at 100% if you
give it an idle callback. this makes my 3ghz laptop fan come on. mongo
no like fan. so what I do is wait for them to mousedown on the stepper
(and on the scrollbar but not on the jumper) and then dynamically give
the Glut an idler callback. when they mouseup, i cancel the idler
callback. sick. :)

Christophe, you used our Linux shot, so when you post the counter-shot,
what say you play fair this time and make it your win32 version?

:)

kt

--
Home? http://tilton-technology.com
Cells? http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

From: Christophe Rhodes
Subject: Re: Cello scroller widget screen shot

> Christophe, you used our Linux shot, so when you post the
> counter-shot, what say you play fair this time and make it your win32
> version?

Oh, very well.

<http://www.dridus.com/~nyef/sbcl-on-win32.png>.

(This is not a fake.  Nor is it my own work.  Nor, I confess, does it
compare to Kenny's eye candy... but it might be a sight for sore eyes
nonetheless.)

Christophe
From: Kenny Tilton
Christophe Rhodes wrote:

> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>

>>Christophe, you used our Linux shot, so when you post the
>>counter-shot, what say you play fair this time and make it your win32
>>version?
>

> Oh, very well.
>
> <http://www.dridus.com/~nyef/sbcl-on-win32.png>.
>
> (This is not a fake.  Nor is it my own work.  Nor, I confess, does it
> compare to Kenny's eye candy...

..nor is it McClim, but who's counting? That is still an interesting
screen shot indeed. Does that sit on top of Cygwin? And does that matter?

> but it might be a sight for sore eyes
> nonetheless.)

Probably for more eyes than Arc.

kt

From: Brian Mastenbrook
In article <·····················@twister.nyc.rr.com>, Kenny Tilton
<·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> ..nor is it McClim, but who's counting?

It's one step closer to World Domination^W^Wrunning McCLIM on Windows.

> That is still an interesting
> screen shot indeed. Does that sit on top of Cygwin? And does that matter?

Nope, it's raw Win32 - no compatibility layers.

--
Brian Mastenbrook
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~bmastenb/
From: Christophe Rhodes
Brian Mastenbrook <····················@cs.indiana.edu> writes:

> In article <·····················@twister.nyc.rr.com>, Kenny Tilton
> <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> ..nor is it McClim, but who's counting?
>
> It's one step closer to World Domination^W^Wrunning McCLIM on Windows.

I don't speak for the McCLIM developers, but if McCLIM doesn't already
run on Windows it is surely only a few reader-conditionals and
pathname translations away.  It would require an X server installed,
of course.

Christophe