From: Thomas Schilling
Subject: What are your memories of Erik Naggum?
Hi folks,

Actually my first post to c.l.l was supposed to have something to do with
my lisp-learning or with my first useful lisp project. But while chatting
about several great discussions here on c.l.l he mentionen someone called
"Erik Naggum". But he didn't want me to tell me more about that guy.

Can someone of you guys tell me more about his greatness or oddity or
whatever.

regards
Thomas

--
"But I don't expect to convince anyone (over 25) to go out and learn
Lisp." - Paul Graham

From: Erann Gat
Subject: Re: What are your memories of Erik Naggum?
In article <················@news.CIS.DFN.DE>, Thomas Schilling
<······@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Actually my first post to c.l.l was supposed to have something to do with
> my lisp-learning or with my first useful lisp project. But while chatting
> about several great discussions here on c.l.l he mentionen someone called
> "Erik Naggum". But he didn't want me to tell me more about that guy.
>
> Can someone of you guys tell me more about his greatness or oddity or
> whatever.
>
> regards
> Thomas

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_uauthors=erik%20naggum pretty much says
it all.

E.
From: Rob Warnock
Erann Gat <·········@flownet.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Thomas Schilling <······@yahoo.de> wrote:
| > ...someone called "Erik Naggum". ...  Can someone of you guys
| > tell me more about his greatness or oddity or whatever.
|
| http://groups.google.com/groups?as_uauthors=erik%20naggum pretty much
| says it all.
+---------------

Well, much *too* much for this group. I suggest something just a tad
more focussed ["only" 6850 hits]:

  <URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?q=author%3Aerik+author%3Anaggum+lisp>

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: David Fisher
Thomas Schilling <······@yahoo.de> wrote in message news:<················@news.CIS.DFN.DE>...
> Hi folks,
>
> Actually my first post to c.l.l was supposed to have something to do with
> my lisp-learning or with my first useful lisp project. But while chatting
> about several great discussions here on c.l.l he mentionen someone called
> "Erik Naggum". But he didn't want me to tell me more about that guy.
>
> Can someone of you guys tell me more about his greatness or oddity or
> whatever.
>
> regards
> Thomas

Not a very plausible story, I must say. It's your first post to c.l.l,
you are just starting to learn Lisp, yet you have Paul Graham sig
(overacting?) and you manage to bring up a taboo subject. Tsk-tsk-tsk!
From: Kenny Tilton
Thomas Schilling wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Actually my first post to c.l.l was supposed to have something to do
> with my lisp-learning or with my first useful lisp project. But while
> chatting about several great discussions here on c.l.l he mentionen
> someone called "Erik Naggum". But he didn't want me to tell me more
> about that guy.
>
> Can someone of you guys tell me more about his greatness or oddity or
> whatever.

Good timing, the hounds needed exercise. We'll give you a head start...

:)

kt

--
Home? http://tilton-technology.com
Cells? http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Cameron MacKinnon
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Thomas Schilling wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Actually my first post to c.l.l was supposed to have something to do
>> with my lisp-learning or with my first useful lisp project. But while
>> chatting about several great discussions here on c.l.l he mentionen
>> someone called "Erik Naggum". But he didn't want me to tell me more
>> about that guy.
>>
>> Can someone of you guys tell me more about his greatness or oddity or
>> whatever.
>

> Good timing, the hounds needed exercise. We'll give you a head start...

Oh, he recognizes the danger. He's set his clock ahead to give himself
half an hour.  :-)

--
Cameron MacKinnon
Toronto, Canada
From: Thomas Schilling
> Oh, he recognizes the danger. He's set his clock ahead to give himself
> half an hour.  :-)

no that was my linux ... don't know why it does that ... :-/

- ts
From: Peter Seibel

> Thomas Schilling wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>> Actually my first post to c.l.l was supposed to have something to do
>> with my lisp-learning or with my first useful lisp project. But
>> while chatting about several great discussions here on c.l.l he
>> mentionen someone called "Erik Naggum". But he didn't want me to
>> tell me more about that guy.
>> Can someone of you guys tell me more about his greatness or oddity
>> or whatever.
>
> Good timing, the hounds needed exercise. We'll give you a head start...

Because I like the hounds fat and indolent, I'll suggest that maybe
you should do a search of Google Groups for "group:comp.lang.lisp
author:naggum", read some of the threads, and draw your own
conclusions.

-Peter

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Vote now at hounds-for-schilling?.com [was Re: What are your memories of...]
Peter Seibel wrote:

> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>

>>Thomas Schilling wrote:
>>

>>>Hi folks,
>>>Actually my first post to c.l.l was supposed to have something to do
>>>with my lisp-learning or with my first useful lisp project. But
>>>while chatting about several great discussions here on c.l.l he
>>>mentionen someone called "Erik Naggum". But he didn't want me to
>>>tell me more about that guy.
>>>Can someone of you guys tell me more about his greatness or oddity
>>>or whatever.
>>
>>Good timing, the hounds needed exercise. We'll give you a head start...
>

> Because I like the hounds fat and indolent, I'll suggest that maybe
> you should do a search of Google Groups for "group:comp.lang.lisp
> author:naggum", read some of the threads, and draw your own
> conclusions.

I was thinking that since he had brazenly slapped an individual's name
into the subject of an article when not asking them never again to use
the word stagger that Mr. Schilling needed a good chasing off. I was
also thinking he is not a Lisp newby and knows full well about Google
groups.

Those are my memories of Thomas Schilling, anyway.

:)

kt

From: Thomas Schilling
Am Mon, 05 Apr 2004 22:29:09 GMT schrieb Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com>:

> I was thinking that since he had brazenly slapped an individual's name
> into the subject of an article when not asking them never again to use
> the word stagger that Mr. Schilling needed a good chasing off. I was
> also thinking he is not a Lisp newby and knows full well about Google
> groups.
>
> Those are my memories of Thomas Schilling, anyway.

I strongly assume that my friend wanted to fool me. And unfortunately he
succeeded. Presumably he just wanted to see the thread grow ...

Actually i _am_ a lisp newbe, though not to programming at all.
Furtunately I already read "On Lisp", so I need not ask these dangerous
newbe-questions. But I came to lisp because I felt pissed off by
C++ (never tried Java). Also I prefer investigating problems myself before
asking possibly stupid questions. (Hm, well - I assume I should have done
it this time, too.)

So I hope my next post (project release) will get some nicer replies.
(Something more like: Nice work. or Nice first try.) Hopefully.

- ts
From: Kenny Tilton
Thomas Schilling wrote:

> Am Mon, 05 Apr 2004 22:29:09 GMT schrieb Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com>:
>
>> I was thinking that since he had brazenly slapped an individual's name
>> into the subject of an article when not asking them never again to use
>> the word stagger that Mr. Schilling needed a good chasing off. I was
>> also thinking he is not a Lisp newby and knows full well about Google
>> groups.
>>
>> Those are my memories of Thomas Schilling, anyway.
>

> I strongly assume that my friend wanted to fool me. And unfortunately he
> succeeded.

Oh, sure. Tell us more about your imaginary friend:

" he mentioned someone called "________". But he didn't want me to tell
me more about that guy."

I think that B-movie crap is what tipped me off. I can just hear the
ominous music now.

Happy trolling.

kt

From: Thomas Schilling
Am Tue, 06 Apr 2004 00:19:23 GMT schrieb Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com>:

> Oh, sure. Tell us more about your imaginary friend:
>
> [...lots of mistrust...]

I'm sorry, sorry, sorry for having started this damn thread.

My friend isn't *imaginary* (although I maybe should considider him as
that for a while). He's reading that ng since 2001 or so, while I started
about 2 weeks ago. So that was short after that obviously abhorred subject
has left this list (luckily) - as I found out in the meantime.

I will not tell the name (of my "friend") - I think he is not that coward
not to post on this thread.

Furthermore, why should I lie on you? This was my first posting to this ng.

And what's so strange about reading Graham for learning lisp?? I first
read most of the online tutorial called "successful lisp" and then read
"On Lisp" (maybe mainly because it can freely be downloaded from the web).
And now I'm trying my first steps. What's so strange about that?

- ts
From: Don Groves
On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:09:08 +0200, Thomas Schilling <······@yahoo.de>
wrote:

> Am Tue, 06 Apr 2004 00:19:23 GMT schrieb Kenny Tilton
> <·······@nyc.rr.com>:
>
>> Oh, sure. Tell us more about your imaginary friend:
>>
>> [...lots of mistrust...]
>
> I'm sorry, sorry, sorry for having started this damn thread.

...snip...

> And what's so strange about reading Graham for learning lisp?? I first
> read most of the online tutorial called "successful lisp" and then read
> "On Lisp" (maybe mainly because it can freely be downloaded from the
> web). And now I'm trying my first steps. What's so strange about that?

As another nubi, Tom, I feel your pain for having hit a nerve
right off.  Fortunately, so far (knock wood) I've avoided
doing that.

I think what is considered strange is that most nubis come
here before discovering Graham.  They learn about him in
response to their nubian questions. So you, having admitted
prior knowledge of Graham, are suspect.

Every newsgroup has their own guy like this Naggins (sounds
like a made up name to me). You're lucky your friend didn't
send you to rec.music.theory to ask about Albert Silverman.
--
dg
From: Don Groves
On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 10:55:14 -0700, Don Groves <(. (@ dgroves ccwebster)
net))> wrote:

> Every newsgroup has their own guy like this Naggins (sounds
> like a made up name to me). You're lucky your friend didn't
> send you to rec.music.theory to ask about Albert Silverman.

Sorry about the misspelling of Naggum.  Too much Lord of the
Rings lately.
--
dg
From: Michael Sullivan
Don Groves <(. (@ dgroves ccwebster) net))> wrote:

> As another nubi, Tom, I feel your pain for having hit a nerve
> right off.  Fortunately, so far (knock wood) I've avoided
> doing that.

> I think what is considered strange is that most nubis come
> here before discovering Graham.  They learn about him in
> response to their nubian questions. So you, having admitted
> prior knowledge of Graham, are suspect.

> Every newsgroup has their own guy like this Naggins (sounds
> like a made up name to me). You're lucky your friend didn't
> send you to rec.music.theory to ask about Albert Silverman.

Oh.  My.  God.  Talk about a blast from the past.

I haven't read or posted to rec.music.* in over 10 years and I still
remember trying to argue with him for a couple go rounds, before I
realized the pointlessness of it all.  Is he still on his kick about
abolishing traditional music theory and replacing it with his own brand
that looks a lot like beginner's jazz chord notation -- or is the memory
just indelibly printed on all who encountered him there?

Erik Naggum wasn't that kind of kook.  AFAICT, he actually knows what
he's talking about on subject, and is just somewhat differently-abled
when it comes to social skills.  I don't even suspect that he's a sad
little man with no friends.  He was just out of mesh with the changes in
usenet culture and one of the stubbornest bastards I've ever seen.  He
would have been (and probably was) quite mainstream on usenet 10-15
years ago, IMO.

Michael
From: Don Groves
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:08:17 -0400, Michael Sullivan <·······@bcect.com>
wrote:

> Don Groves <(. (@ dgroves ccwebster) net))> wrote:
>
>> As another nubi, Tom, I feel your pain for having hit a nerve
>> right off.  Fortunately, so far (knock wood) I've avoided
>> doing that.
>
>> I think what is considered strange is that most nubis come
>> here before discovering Graham.  They learn about him in
>> response to their nubian questions. So you, having admitted
>> prior knowledge of Graham, are suspect.
>
>> Every newsgroup has their own guy like this Naggins (sounds
>> like a made up name to me). You're lucky your friend didn't
>> send you to rec.music.theory to ask about Albert Silverman.
>
> Oh.  My.  God.  Talk about a blast from the past.
>
> I haven't read or posted to rec.music.* in over 10 years and I still
> remember trying to argue with him for a couple go rounds, before I
> realized the pointlessness of it all.  Is he still on his kick about
> abolishing traditional music theory and replacing it with his own brand
> that looks a lot like beginner's jazz chord notation -- or is the memory
> just indelibly printed on all who encountered him there?

I haven't been to r.m.t myself for about two years.  Albert
just came to mind as a prime example of the ubiquitous usenet
kook who alienates almost everyone.
--
dg
From: André Thieme
Michael Sullivan wrote:

> He would have been (and probably was) quite mainstream on usenet 10-15
> years ago, IMO.

Why do you think so?
When I joined this NG he was still here around, but a few weeks later he
left. I read 2-5 Posts of him so far, so I have not really a basis to
know more about him.
Anyway, how was the usenet 15 years ago?

Andr�
From: David Fisher
·······@bcect.com (Michael Sullivan) wrote in message news:<·····························@bcect.com>...

> Erik Naggum wasn't that kind of kook.  AFAICT, he actually knows what
> he's talking about on subject, and is just somewhat differently-abled
> when it comes to social skills.  I don't even suspect that he's a sad
> little man with no friends.  He was just out of mesh with the changes in
> usenet culture and one of the stubbornest bastards I've ever seen.  He
> would have been (and probably was) quite mainstream on usenet 10-15
> years ago, IMO.

10-15 years ago, USENET people were very respectful and polite to each
other for the most part.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
·············@yahoo.com (David Fisher) writes:

> ·······@bcect.com (Michael Sullivan) wrote in message news:<·····························@bcect.com>...
>
> > Erik Naggum wasn't that kind of kook.  AFAICT, he actually knows what
> > he's talking about on subject, and is just somewhat differently-abled
> > when it comes to social skills.  I don't even suspect that he's a sad
> > little man with no friends.  He was just out of mesh with the changes in
> > usenet culture and one of the stubbornest bastards I've ever seen.  He
> > would have been (and probably was) quite mainstream on usenet 10-15
> > years ago, IMO.
>
> 10-15 years ago, USENET people were very respectful and polite to each
> other for the most part.

Rose colored glasses when looking back, huh?  Wasn't it about 10 years
ago now that AOL hit the internet?

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Thomas Schilling
Am Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:09:08 +0200 schrieb Thomas Schilling
<······@yahoo.de>:

> started about 2 weeks ago. So that was short after that obviously

oh well, missed the year - so it wasn't that short ... :-)

- ts
From: David Steuber
Thomas Schilling <······@yahoo.de> writes:

> Can someone of you guys tell me more about his greatness or oddity or
> whatever.

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt here.

My memories of Erik are probably better than what Google would
reflect.  Whatever his perceived faults may be, he has given good
advice in the past on this ng.

There is some cultural diversity on this ng.  Not everyone here has
English as a primary language.  Even if that were the case, people can
infer different meanings than what you ment when you typed something.
That leads to misunderstanding.

I actually wish Erik still posted here.  Same goes for Kent Pitman who
is very good at explaining things.

--
It would not be too unfair to any language to refer to Java as a
stripped down Lisp or Smalltalk with a C syntax.
From: nevada
I've been meaning to ask - where is Kent? I miss him. Last I knew he
was upset about someone putting out a link to proprietary material.

NS

From: Tayssir John Gabbour
············@yahoo.com (nevada) wrote in message news:<····························@posting.google.com>...
> I've been meaning to ask - where is Kent? I miss him. Last I knew he
> was upset about someone putting out a link to proprietary material.

Why not ask him?  Few people mind well-wishers.

From what he mentioned, I would not concern myself about the
proprietary material thing.  If he were to permanently be gone, it
would probably be because he woke up one day and realized lisp's
usenet community is full of mean people, and C++ suddenly all makes
beautiful sense.
From: Julian Stecklina
David Steuber <·····@david-steuber.com> writes:

> I actually wish Erik still posted here.  Same goes for Kent Pitman who
> is very good at explaining things.

Why does Kent not post any more?

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

Signed and encrypted mail welcome.
Key-Server: pgp.mit.edu         Key-ID: 0xD65B2AB5
FA38 DCD3 00EC 97B8 6DD8  D7CC 35D8 8D0E D65B 2AB5

Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program
contains an ad hoc informally-specified bug-ridden
 - Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming
From: Erann Gat
Subject: Kent Pitman is alive and well (was: Re: What are your memories of Erik Naggum?)
In article <··············@web.de>, Julian Stecklina <··········@web.de> wrote:

> Why does Kent not post any more?

I just exchanged some email with Kent.  He's alive and well, but very
busy.  No word on when or if he'll be returning to c.l.l.

E.
From: Julian Stecklina
Subject: Re: Kent Pitman is alive and well
·········@flownet.com (Erann Gat) writes:

> I just exchanged some email with Kent.  He's alive and well, but very
> busy.  No word on when or if he'll be returning to c.l.l.

That's good to know. I think we all know this pesky thing called
'work'...

Regards,

From: klaus
Thomas Schilling <······@yahoo.de> wrote in message news:<················@news.CIS.DFN.DE>...
> Hi folks,
>
> Actually my first post to c.l.l was supposed to have something to do with
> my lisp-learning or with my first useful lisp project. But while chatting
> about several great discussions here on c.l.l he mentionen someone called
> "Erik Naggum". But he didn't want me to tell me more about that guy.
>
> Can someone of you guys tell me more about his greatness or oddity or
> whatever.
>
> regards
> Thomas

I am just another silly cll lurker, but I think there was more brain
in this group when he was around.

-klaus-