From: leconte.jerome1
Subject: newbie
hi
   I'm new in lisp ... and just begin to understand LISP
i'm looking for simple and short example
and why not exercise ... with Web search
i often find big and difficult book ...
one in IA , another with great consideration about syntax

But what i want it's something like the Kernigan&ritchie for the
C or a Shaum like collection of exercice and course.

thank
best regards

jerome

PS:all my apologize for my poor english :)))
PPS: the french LISP news group are not very active ....

From: Alex McGuire
Subject: Re: newbie
All the books at

	http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html

are worth reading. If you are new to functional programming in general
then I would recommend 'The Structure and Interpretation of Computer
Programs', although this uses Scheme rather than Lisp.

	http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.htm

You may also want to look at
	http://www.htdp.org/2003-09-26/Book/

I'm sorry the above sites aren't pasted as links, for some reason
Mozilla won't let me when I'm posting to usenet.

Qu'est-ce que vous voulez faire avec Lisp? Avez-vous deja un projet, ou
est-ce que vous voulez simplement apprendre cette langue? (Il faut
excuser ma francaise pauvre).

Alex

From: Don Groves
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 11:51:50 +0200, Alex McGuire <····@alexmcguire.com>
wrote:

> All the books at
>
> 	http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html
>
> are worth reading. If you are new to functional programming in general
> then I would recommend 'The Structure and Interpretation of Computer
> Programs', although this uses Scheme rather than Lisp.
>
> 	http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.htm
>

> You may also want to look at
> 	http://www.htdp.org/2003-09-26/Book/
>
> I'm sorry the above sites aren't pasted as links, for some reason
> Mozilla won't let me when I'm posting to usenet.

Mozilla may not show them to you as links but they're fine at this end.
--
dg
From: Svein Ove Aas
Alex McGuire wrote:

> I'm sorry the above sites aren't pasted as links, for some reason
> Mozilla won't let me when I'm posting to usenet.

Usenet is supposed to be pure text (binary groups aside).
There are very good reasons for this, and the day when some POS
newsreader lets people post in HTML is the day I implement the
alt.sysadmin.recovery motto. (Down, not across.)

That said, most newsreaders will also recognize URLs and show
them as links, so there is no actual *need* for HTML for that.

- Svein Ove Aas
From: Alex McGuire
Svein Ove Aas wrote:
> Alex McGuire wrote:
>

>>I'm sorry the above sites aren't pasted as links, for some reason
>>Mozilla won't let me when I'm posting to usenet.
>

> Usenet is supposed to be pure text (binary groups aside).
> There are very good reasons for this, and the day when some POS
> newsreader lets people post in HTML is the day I implement the
> alt.sysadmin.recovery motto. (Down, not across.)

Sorry, I didn't realise. Thanks for letting me know.

> That said, most newsreaders will also recognize URLs and show
> them as links, so there is no actual *need* for HTML for that.

Yeah, I see that now.

cheers

Alex
From: Tim Daly Jr.
"leconte.jerome1" <···············@free.fr> writes:

> hi
>
> I'm new in lisp ... and just begin to understand LISP i'm looking
> for simple and short example and why not exercise ... with Web
> search i often find big and difficult book ...  one in IA , another
> with great consideration about syntax
>
> But what i want it's something like the Kernigan&ritchie for the
> C or a Shaum like collection of exercice and course.

A good place to look for Lisp stuff is www.cliki.net.  For example, a
couple of clicks brought me to a long list of online tutorials:

   http://www.cliki.net/Online%20Tutorial

You should take a look and see if any of them are in a style that
suits you.  Don't miss the ones in French at the bottom!

--
-Tim

Check out the new PHP compiler:  www.roadsend.com
From: John Thingstad
You might want to try Successful lisp.
http://psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/cover.html

Although incomplete this book from gigamonkeys is good for leaning lisp
programming.
The case studies are informative and provide insights into the "Lisp frame
of mind".
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

Once you have used lisp for a while you might want to try this:
www.paulgraham.com/onlisp.html
The authorative introduction to lisp macro programming.

"Common lisp the language" is a good reference wich goes futher than the
ANSI
document in explaining the rationale for the functions in the library.

Finally here is a reference to the ANSI common lisp reference:
http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/5.0.1/ansicl/ansicl.htm

Have fun

From: Dave Roberts
John Thingstad wrote:

> You might want to try Successful lisp.
> http://psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/cover.html

I found this to be very helpful, myself. It has short chapters that present
just enough without being too large. The examples are short and to the
point.

I can also recommend Graham's ANSI Common Lisp, once you're ready to make
the investment and by a paper book (not available online). It's rather
expensive for the size of book, but I still refer to it all the time
(sometimes easier than finding things in the hyperspec).

I often have Successful Lisp, Practical Common Lisp, and the CLHS running in
three separate Mozilla tabs at the same time, flipping back and forth
between them to understand a particular feature (with Graham's ANSI Common
Lisp an arm's length away--I need lots of help... ;-).

-- Dave

--
Dave Roberts
·············@re-move.droberts.com
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"leconte.jerome1" <···············@free.fr> writes:
> PPS: the french LISP news group are not very active ....

If you'd asked this in fr.comp.lang.lisp you'd had got an answer there.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he doesn't
From: leconte.jerome1
Subject: THANK YOU [was: newbie]
Thank ... thank ... thank :))))

I'm going to feed my brain :)))