From: Rene van Bevern
Subject: GUI and CGI development
hi.

I am looking
for documentation on GUI development using Common Lisp. I'd prefer GTK+
bindings, but cl-gtk seems to be in a very early stage, as far as i can
tell from the homepage and version number. Are there other libraries,
that are widely used with common lisp?

secondly, i am looking for a CGI library for Common Lisp that is able to
parse GET and POST requests and cookies. i have found HTML generation
libraries, a webserver library, but not a CGI library. can somebody
recommend me one?

finally, it would be nice if somebody could give me a link to
documentation on wrapping C libraries in LISP.

thanks :>
	Rene

From: Doug Tolton
Subject: Re: GUI and CGI development
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:01:54 +0200, Rene van Bevern
<···@rvb.dyndns.org> wrote:

>hi.
>
>I am looking
>for documentation on GUI development using Common Lisp. I'd prefer GTK+
>bindings, but cl-gtk seems to be in a very early stage, as far as i can
>tell from the homepage and version number. Are there other libraries,
>that are widely used with common lisp?
Check out Grahpics Toolkits on Cliki:
http://www.cliki.net/Graphics%20Toolkit

you could also check out CLIM on the Cliki:
http://www.cliki.net/CLIM

or free CLIM:
http://www.cons.org/free-clim/

or just google for it.

>secondly, i am looking for a CGI library for Common Lisp that is able to
>parse GET and POST requests and cookies. i have found HTML generation
>libraries, a webserver library, but not a CGI library. can somebody
>recommend me one?
Check out Web on the Cliki:
http://www.cliki.net/Web

or try the FastCGI home page:
http://www.fastcgi.com/

or of course google. :)

>finally, it would be nice if somebody could give me a link to
>documentation on wrapping C libraries in LISP.

Check out Compatibility Layers on the Cliki:
http://www.cliki.net/compatibility%20layers
pay special attention to UFFI

or you can just google for FFI or UFFI and Common Lisp

I home you are seeing an emerging pattern:
Check Cliki, get some idea of what topic you are looking for, if Cliki
lacks the resources, Google for it.

Doug Tolton
(format t ···@~a~a.~a" "dtolton" "ya" "hoo" "com")
From: Rene van Bevern
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:09:29 GMT, Doug Tolton <····@nospam.com> wrote:
> or just google for it.
> [...]
> or of course google. :)
> [...]
> or you can just google for FFI or UFFI and Common Lisp

of course i did google for documentation and previous postings to cll,
but thanks for your very useful URLs :>

> I home you are seeing an emerging pattern:
> Check Cliki, get some idea of what topic you are looking for, if Cliki
> lacks the resources, Google for it.

of couse i see the pattern, CLiki is now bookmarked ;)

thanks very much
	Rene
From: Doug Tolton
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:55:16 +0200, Rene van Bevern
<···@rvb.dyndns.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:09:29 GMT, Doug Tolton <····@nospam.com> wrote:
>> or just google for it.
>> [...]
>> or of course google. :)
>> [...]
>> or you can just google for FFI or UFFI and Common Lisp
>
>of course i did google for documentation and previous postings to cll,
>but thanks for your very useful URLs :>
>
>> I home you are seeing an emerging pattern:
>> Check Cliki, get some idea of what topic you are looking for, if Cliki
>> lacks the resources, Google for it.
>
>of couse i see the pattern, CLiki is now bookmarked ;)
>
>thanks very much
>	Rene

Yeah, CLiki is the big piece of the puzzle that you need in order to
effectively search for Lisp.  You get much more relevant links
Googling for Lisp UFFI than you will for Lisp interface C or some
such.

I included the Google part just in case, not to demean you in anyway.
Happy hunting. :)

From: Rene van Bevern
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:58:13 GMT, Doug Tolton <····@nospam.com> wrote:

hi

> Yeah, CLiki is the big piece of the puzzle that you need in order to
> effectively search for Lisp.  You get much more relevant links
> Googling for Lisp UFFI than you will for Lisp interface C or some
> such.

i noticed that. i am getting pretty good along using the many UFFI
examples i found. it is very comfortable to use, easier than binding
other languages to C.

but after all i was unable to find examples for the
FastCGI CLisp module. i found that it is included in Clisp 2.31, but
there are no examples or a reference linked at the clisp homepage :/

can you give me an example application that uses that FastCGI module, so
i can take a look at its source? CLiki itself does not seem to use
FastCGI ;)

	Rene
From: Marc Battyani
"Rene van Bevern" <···@rvb.dyndns.org> wrote in

> but after all i was unable to find examples for the
> FastCGI CLisp module. i found that it is included in Clisp 2.31, but
> there are no examples or a reference linked at the clisp homepage :/
>
> can you give me an example application that uses that FastCGI module, so
> i can take a look at its source? CLiki itself does not seem to use
> FastCGI ;)

Use mod_lisp, it's much simpler to use.

OK this opinion is biased ;-)

Marc
From: Doug Tolton
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:56:52 +0200, "Marc Battyani"
<·············@fractalconcept.com> wrote:

>"Rene van Bevern" <···@rvb.dyndns.org> wrote in
>
>> but after all i was unable to find examples for the
>> FastCGI CLisp module. i found that it is included in Clisp 2.31, but
>> there are no examples or a reference linked at the clisp homepage :/
>>
>> can you give me an example application that uses that FastCGI module, so
>> i can take a look at its source? CLiki itself does not seem to use
>> FastCGI ;)
>
>Use mod_lisp, it's much simpler to use.
>
>OK this opinion is biased ;-)
>
>Marc

I've been wanting to give mod_lisp a try for a while now, but I have
too many projects going on at the moment.

I have been traditionally a web programmer, but I've been
disillusioned with the Microsoft platform for some time.  I used asp
and asp.net, I've looked into PHP, mod_perl and JSP and J2EE, none of
them really had the features I want, or in the case of J2EE were stuck
with a language I'm not a huge fan of.

How does mod_lisp work in relation to some of these platforms?  I
would really like to try out a good lisp based web solution.

Currently I'm checking out Zope, because I like the features of python
and I want to feel motivated to build web sites again. ;)

Hopefully Paul Graham as some good news about Arc at the upcoming ILC.
His goal is for Arc to be the premier web development platform.  It
will be interesting to see if it lives up to that goal.

From: Tim Lavoie

    Doug> Currently I'm checking out Zope, because I like the features
    Doug> of python and I want to feel motivated to build web sites
    Doug> again. ;)

If you're already looking at Python web programming, be sure to check
out Webware, especially the WebKit component of it. It strikes me as a
servlets-in-Python model, and worked well in some testing I did. There
is a template piece to it as well, but it also worked with another
called Cheetah (which is in turn based on ideas from Velocity IIRC).

Zope is neat too, particularly if you have content management needs,
but I try to do what I can in Python, not DTML.
From: John Thingstad
On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 20:19:19 GMT, Doug Tolton <····@nospam.com> wrote:

> I have been traditionally a web programmer, but I've been
> disillusioned with the Microsoft platform for some time.  I used asp
> and asp.net, I've looked into PHP, mod_perl and JSP and J2EE, none of
> them really had the features I want, or in the case of J2EE were stuck
> with a language I'm not a huge fan of.
>
> How does mod_lisp work in relation to some of these platforms?  I
> would really like to try out a good lisp based web solution.

mod_lisp is just a trampoline. It allows a application lifespan to exceed
the HTTP request.
It sets up a pipe or socket and binds input and output. Te application
then acts as a filter.
As mod_lisp is now it only works with apache 1.3 servers not 2.0.
You sound like you want somthing that can compete with J2EE in
functionality.
In this case check out Allegro Serve or the MIT web server.
Both implement the whole server in lisp.

From: Kumade Khawi
John Thingstad <··············@chello.no> wrote in message news:<················@news.chello.no>...
> As mod_lisp is now it only works with apache 1.3 servers not 2.0.
> You sound like you want somthing that can compete with J2EE in
> functionality.
> In this case check out Allegro Serve or the MIT web server.
> Both implement the whole server in lisp.

Allegro Serve is great, just be sure to run it on a platform
with good multiprocessing capabilities. I would suggest its native
Franz ACL.

I use Portable AllegroServe to develop an intranet web application,
and it's amazing how flexible and well oiled it feels. You evaluate
your expressions in your editor (just as usual) except that with
Allegro Serve you would have changes take effect immediately; no need
to restart the server or anything.

I have multiple browser windows open for test purposes, and one of my
favorite moves is to reload one of the idle windows I started a few
hours earlier, just to see the application change completely to
something else :-)

If you have a Apache experience, you will soon find that AS is very
different from it. There is no concept of "default directory" where
the server looks for all web-accessible documents. Allegro Serve has a
"publishing" model which lets you weave out of documents, directories,
programs, databases, etc. that are accessible from your machine, your
own virtual webserver "directory". It even lets you create a
"published entity"
by combining static documents, CSS and JavaScript templates, the
output of Lisp functions, Unix commands and database queries into one
"web page" result.

You can get a simple site up and running within a matter of an hour (I
practically gave up on thick GUIs and now write all my GUI
applications with DHTML and Lisp, and now adding Mozilla XUL to the
mix)
but you will have to get to know the system well first. It took me a
3-day hackathon to figure out how to _send_ static documents to a
client, and after that, I was having Real Joy(TM)
From: Paolo Amoroso
Rene van Bevern writes:

> I am looking
> for documentation on GUI development using Common Lisp. I'd prefer GTK+
> bindings, but cl-gtk seems to be in a very early stage, as far as i can
> tell from the homepage and version number. Are there other libraries,
> that are widely used with common lisp?

You might check McCLIM, which, although still in Alpha stage, is
already mostly usable and looks promising:

  http://mcclim.cliki.net

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>
From: Mark Watson
Hello Rene,

re: CGI and Lisp:

I have had good luck with two approaches:

1. rolled my own socket server with code to serve up
local files and handle a specific HTML input form (just
supporting GET which is simple). This is portable (sort
of) and runss on LispWorks, CLisp, OpenMCL.  This
approach only takes about 100 lines of code.

2. using CLisp and CLOCC CGI utilities (with a startup
shell) - I put everything in a CLisp dump file so the CGI
program starts up fairly fast.

Both techniques are simple.

-Mark

From: Philippe Brochard
Rene van Bevern <···@rvb.dyndns.org> writes:

> hi.

hello,

> I am looking
> for documentation on GUI development using Common Lisp. I'd prefer GTK+
> bindings, but cl-gtk seems to be in a very early stage, as far as i can
> tell from the homepage and version number. Are there other libraries,
> that are widely used with common lisp?

I took a look to the cliki too, and I found lisp2wish
(http://www.cliki.net/lisp2wish)
You can make the interface with vtcl (http://vtcl.sourceforge.net/)
and then import the tcl code into your lisp code following
the test-wish function. You just need to make some little changes
to the code before (ie : escape " and \ characters).

Hope that can be useful...

[...]

Philippe

--
Philippe Brochard    <·····@free.fr>
                      http://hocwp.free.fr

-=-= http://www.gnu.org/home.fr.html =-=-
From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH

    Philippe> Rene van Bevern <···@rvb.dyndns.org> writes:
    >> hi.
    >>
    Philippe> hello,

    >> I am looking for documentation on GUI development using Common
    >> Lisp. I'd prefer GTK+ bindings, but cl-gtk seems to be in a
    >> very early stage, as far as i can tell from the homepage and
    >> version number. Are there other libraries, that are widely used
    >> with common lisp?
    >>
    Philippe> I took a look to the cliki too, and I found lisp2wish
    Philippe> (http://www.cliki.net/lisp2wish) You can make the
    Philippe> interface with vtcl (http://vtcl.sourceforge.net/) [...]

You might want to use my Guis widget "server". The idea is that you
program your widgets by sending (Python or Ruby) scripts to a pipe,
and that Guis may send you arbitrary [textual] messages.

I designed Guis explicitly thinking using it from CommonLisp, but it
has no Lispism inside, you just have to be able to send textual
requests (usually Python or Ruby calls) and be able to parse textual
replies (which you can make lispish if you like so).

Guis is opensource, under GPL, see http://freshmeat.net/projects/guis/
or http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/guisdoc.html for more. Guis use GTK
(and Python or Ruby) and is developped under Linux.

Regards.

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net
8, rue de la Fa�encerie, 92340 Bourg La Reine, France