From: Marc Battyani
Subject: cl-typesetting first tests
Though far from being finished, cl-typesetting has started to process some
text into a pdf file.
Interested people can look at the result here:
http://www.fractalconcept.com/ex.pdf

Comments welcomed.

Marc

From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Re: cl-typesetting first tests
"Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> writes:

> Though far from being finished, cl-typesetting has started to process some
> text into a pdf file.
> Interested people can look at the result here:
> http://www.fractalconcept.com/ex.pdf
>
> Comments welcomed.

This rocks! (Any chance you can post the input that produced that output?)

-Peter

From: Marc Battyani
"Peter Seibel" <·····@javamonkey.com> wrote

> This rocks! (Any chance you can post the input that produced that output?)

I will put another example with color support and I will post the
corresponding Lisp source in a few hours.

Marc
From: Gareth McCaughan
"Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> writes:

> Though far from being finished, cl-typesetting has started to process some
> text into a pdf file.
> Interested people can look at the result here:
> http://www.fractalconcept.com/ex.pdf
>
> Comments welcomed.

Impressive. I see it doesn't have TeX-style line breaking yet.
(There are at least two suboptimal breaks in the paragraph
beginning "The Lisp machine concept", I think.) But who cares?
It's neat.

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc
From: Kenny Tilton
"Gareth McCaughan" <················@pobox.com> wrote in message
···················@g.mccaughan.ntlworld.com...
> "Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> writes:
>
> > Though far from being finished, cl-typesetting has started to process
some
> > text into a pdf file.
> > Interested people can look at the result here:
> > http://www.fractalconcept.com/ex.pdf
> >
> > Comments welcomed.
>
> Impressive.

Indeed. Kerning, too.

> ...I see it doesn't have TeX-style line breaking yet.
> (There are at least two suboptimal breaks in the paragraph
> beginning "The Lisp machine concept", I think.)

<g> well, he /did/ say:

Warning!

This test pdf file has been made with an early version 0.0 of
cl-typesetting. A lot of basic features, like a correct hypenation, are
still missing Marc Battyani

<g> I'd post the URL, but I think you already have it. <g> kenny
From: Andreas Fuchs
Today, Gareth McCaughan <················@pobox.com> wrote:
> Impressive. I see it doesn't have TeX-style line breaking yet.
> (There are at least two suboptimal breaks in the paragraph
> beginning "The Lisp machine concept", I think.) But who cares?
> It's neat.

IIRC, the closure web browser by Gilbert Baumann had a TeX mode for
rendering HTML paragraphs. Perhaps Marc can rip it off for his
typesetting engine.

Oh, and it really is neat. Good work, Marc (-:

--
Andreas Fuchs, <···@acm.org>, ···@jabber.at, antifuchs
From: Marc Battyani
"Andreas Fuchs" <···@boinkor.net> wrote

> IIRC, the closure web browser by Gilbert Baumann had a TeX mode for
> rendering HTML paragraphs. Perhaps Marc can rip it off for his
> typesetting engine.

The rendering engine is already there but I have not yet put the hypenation.
I also found the hypenation patterns table at Mozilla web site. May be I can
look if there is some code for hyphenation anyway. (if the license permits
it)

> Oh, and it really is neat. Good work, Marc (-:

Thanks!

Marc
From: lawrence mitchell
Marc Battyani wrote:

> The rendering engine is already there but I have not yet put the hypenation.
> I also found the hypenation patterns table at Mozilla web site. May be I can
> look if there is some code for hyphenation anyway. (if the license permits
> it)

The line-breaking and hyphenation algorithms used by TeX are
described in Knuth's /The TeXBook/.  I'm not sure what the
license for them is though.

--
lawrence mitchell <·····@gmx.li>
From: Thomas F. Burdick
lawrence mitchell <·····@gmx.li> writes:

> Marc Battyani wrote:
>
> > The rendering engine is already there but I have not yet put the hypenation.
> > I also found the hypenation patterns table at Mozilla web site. May be I can
> > look if there is some code for hyphenation anyway. (if the license permits
> > it)
>
> The line-breaking and hyphenation algorithms used by TeX are
> described in Knuth's /The TeXBook/.  I'm not sure what the
> license for them is though.

(There's also a more implementationally-centered description in
 _TeX: The Program_)

They're unencumbered by patents.  Unless you go through a ton of
macrology, transcribing the Pascal would surely be harder than just
reimplementing them in Lisp.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Gareth McCaughan
Lawrence Mitchell wrote:

> The line-breaking and hyphenation algorithms used by TeX are
> described in Knuth's /The TeXBook/.  I'm not sure what the
> license for them is though.

I believe the algorithms are free for anyone to use.
The code itself is copyrighted, but licensed on very
liberal terms.

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc
From: Ivan Toshkov
lawrence mitchell <·····@gmx.li> wrote in message news:<····················@ID-97657.usr.dfncis.de>...
> Marc Battyani wrote:
>
> > The rendering engine is already there but I have not yet put the hypenation.
> > I also found the hypenation patterns table at Mozilla web site. May be I can
> > look if there is some code for hyphenation anyway. (if the license permits
> > it)
>
> The line-breaking and hyphenation algorithms used by TeX are
> described in Knuth's /The TeXBook/.  I'm not sure what the
> license for them is though.

I'm not quite sure if you're talking about the same thing here, but if
you are referring to the the word hyphenation algorithm as well,
please make it pluggable.

English hyphenation rules (it they are rules at all) are awful!  In
bulgarian for example, there are 3-4 rules (and they even removed some
several years ago, so now there are even less!), but they are sooo
hard to use with TeX.

Just my 2 cents (I hope).

--
Ivan
From: Marc Battyani
"Ivan Toshkov" <·····@ifao.net> wrote in message

> English hyphenation rules (it they are rules at all) are awful!  In
> bulgarian for example, there are 3-4 rules (and they even removed some
> several years ago, so now there are even less!), but they are sooo
> hard to use with TeX.

We are in Lisp so it's not a problem. you can provide your hyphen-word
method.

Marc