From: Burton Samograd
Subject: CMUCL function editing?
Hi,

During my overview of lisp implimentations I found the Lush package
and was impressed with it, although I found some problems which are
directing me more towards the use of a proper CL system such as
CMUCL.

One of the nicest things about Lush was the ability to define a
function and call the fedit function (using the ^F macro character)
which would call a command defined by the string variable edit-call to
pull up the function's code for editing.

After a bit of experimentation I found that running lush in emacs, and
defining edit-call to be "emacsclient" was a great way for development
and reminded me of one of the greatest features of lisp machines I had
heard of (the ability to work in the interpreter and call up the code
to any function definition almost automatically).

Is there a similar way to do this with CMUCL?  I've been looking
through the docs but it seems to be escaping me on how to do this, if
this functionality even exists at all (which I find hard to believe in
a mature implementation such a CMUCL).

Anybody have any pointers on how to get this working?

--
burton samograd
······@hotmail.com
From: rydis (Martin Rydstr|m) @CD.Chalmers.SE
Subject: Re: CMUCL function editing?
Burton Samograd <······@hotmail.com> writes:
> Is there a similar way to do this with CMUCL?  I've been looking
> through the docs but it seems to be escaping me on how to do this, if
> this functionality even exists at all (which I find hard to believe in
> a mature implementation such a CMUCL).
>
> Anybody have any pointers on how to get this working?

In the REPL, try (ed 'symbol). In Hemlock (which ED presumably starts)
try M-x Edit Definition. In ILISP, if you are using that, try M-. .

Regards,

'mr

--
[Emacs] is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is
beautiful.  -- Neal Stephenson, _In the Beginning was the Command Line_