From: Daniel Barlow
Subject: ANN: Road to Lisp is now the Road to ALU
As I threatened to do a few weeks ago, I've just moved all the Road to
Lisp stuff from CLiki to the ALU Wiki site.  The new address is now

  http://alu.cliki.net/The%20Road%20to%20Lisp%20Survey

The transfer consisted of moving all pages with RtL or Road in their
names from one directory to another.  I haven't checked links to see
what's dangling, in particular, if you filled out the survey but
didn't use the word 'Road' anywhere in your page, it is now stranded
in the middle of said road with the indicator (US: "turn signal", I
think) blinking, and you may want to go and rescue it.

While I was at it I also revamped said wiki site to look less like
CLiki and more like the ALU.  Thanks to whoever in the ALU was
responsible for the new layout, for saving me from having to exercise
my design skills.  People get hurt when I do that.

If you run into any problems with the new system, please report them
in the usual way - i.e. complain in some arbitrary forum that you
think there's at least an outside chance someone I know will read.

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

From: Edward O'Connor
Subject: Re: ANN: Road to Lisp is now the Road to ALU
> in the middle of said road with the indicator (US: "turn signal", I
> think) blinking, and you may want to go and rescue it.

In metro Boston anyway (and wherever Boston expats are to be found),
"directionals" does well here.

Ted
P.S. Scituate and/or Cambridge, MA represent.

--
Edward O'Connor
·······@soe.ucsd.edu
From: Joe Marshall
Edward O'Connor <·······@soe.ucsd.edu> writes:

>> in the middle of said road with the indicator (US: "turn signal", I
>> think) blinking, and you may want to go and rescue it.
>
> In metro Boston anyway (and wherever Boston expats are to be found),
> "directionals" does well here.
>

> Ted
> P.S. Scituate and/or Cambridge, MA represent.

Of course it is amusing to have a name for something that Boston
drivers *never* use.
From: Kenny Tilton
Daniel Barlow wrote:
> As I threatened to do a few weeks ago, I've just moved all the Road to
> Lisp stuff from CLiki to the ALU Wiki site.  The new address is now
>
>   http://alu.cliki.net/The%20Road%20to%20Lisp%20Survey
>
> The transfer consisted of moving all pages with RtL or Road in their
> names from one directory to another.

Awesome. I was resigned to doing that incredibly tediousily once ILC2k3
was behind me.

>  I haven't checked links to see
> what's dangling, in particular, if you filled out the survey but
> didn't use the word 'Road' anywhere in your page, it is now stranded
> in the middle of said road with the indicator (US: "turn signal", I
> think) blinking, and you may want to go and rescue it.

And I'll go scavenging for lost respondents post-ILC.

> If you run into any problems with the new system, please report them
> in the usual way - i.e. complain in some arbitrary forum that you
> think there's at least an outside chance someone I know will read.

Oh, good, I've been doing that but was worried that it was not the
approved way of getting support. Whew!

:)

--

  clinisys, inc
  http://www.tilton-technology.com/
From: Tayss
Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message news:<················@nyc.rr.com>...
> Awesome. I was resigned to doing that incredibly tediousily once ILC2k3
> was behind me.

I don't know if you already noticed this, but it would make your life
easier to have templates.  A special kind of link that takes you to an
edit page which has the contents of another page.

I looked at the code and wanted to make a patch, but a) I don't have
an environment to test it on and b) three edit*.lisp files had
redundant parts, so munging around in them didn't look like a good
idea.
From: Doug Tolton
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 05:33:41 +0100, Daniel Barlow <···@telent.net>
wrote:

>As I threatened to do a few weeks ago, I've just moved all the Road to
>Lisp stuff from CLiki to the ALU Wiki site.  The new address is now
>
>  http://alu.cliki.net/The%20Road%20to%20Lisp%20Survey
>
>The transfer consisted of moving all pages with RtL or Road in their
>names from one directory to another.  I haven't checked links to see
>what's dangling, in particular, if you filled out the survey but
>didn't use the word 'Road' anywhere in your page, it is now stranded
>in the middle of said road with the indicator (US: "turn signal", I
>think) blinking, and you may want to go and rescue it.
>
>While I was at it I also revamped said wiki site to look less like
>CLiki and more like the ALU.  Thanks to whoever in the ALU was
>responsible for the new layout, for saving me from having to exercise
>my design skills.  People get hurt when I do that.
>
>If you run into any problems with the new system, please report them
>in the usual way - i.e. complain in some arbitrary forum that you
>think there's at least an outside chance someone I know will read.
>

>-dan

It looks like quite a few less names than before.  I noticed there was
some duplication of a few names before, but this list looks
significantly smaller.  Or maybe I'm just not high anymore...

Doug Tolton
(format t ···@~a~a.~a" "dtolton" "ya" "hoo" "com")
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:27:47 GMT, Doug Tolton <·······@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It looks like quite a few less names than before.  I noticed there
> was some duplication of a few names before, but this list looks
> significantly smaller.  Or maybe I'm just not high anymore...

A couple of people already had user pages when Kenny started his
survey and used these for their responses, like me:

  <http://www.cliki.net/Edi%20Weitz>

These have to be fixed/moved manually. I'll take care of mine in the
next days when I find some time.

Edi.
From: Edi Weitz
On 19 Sep 2003 22:27:23 +0200, Edi Weitz <···@agharta.de> wrote:

> I'll take care of mine in the next days when I find some time.

Just did that and noted that I had a lot of links to other CLiki pages
which are now external and had to be replaced by normal HTML
links. Wouldn't it make sense if there were tags for ALU/CLiki
cross-linking?

Note to Kenny: The "Switch Date" pages are still on CLiki and need to
be moved, too.

Edi.
From: abc
Only one link works in Kenny's Top 10.

From: Ralph Richard Cook
Mine didn't make the migration...and I was even in Kenny's Top Ten. No
respect, I tell you, no respect at all.

But seriously, folks, I don't think I have a backup of what I said,
and I see it's not at www.cliki.net anymore, so if cliki person has it
I'd like a copy.

From: Edi Weitz
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 03:12:20 GMT, ······@bellsouth.net (Ralph Richard Cook) wrote:

> Mine didn't make the migration...and I was even in Kenny's Top
> Ten. No respect, I tell you, no respect at all.
>
> But seriously, folks, I don't think I have a backup of what I said,
> and I see it's not at www.cliki.net anymore, so if cliki person has
> it I'd like a copy.

If I search CLiki for "Cook" I get this one:

  <http://www.cliki.net/Ralph%20Richard%20Cook>

Isn't that you?

Edi.
From: Kenny Tilton
Edi Weitz <···@agharta.de> wrote in message news:<··············@bird.agharta.de>...
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 03:12:20 GMT, ······@bellsouth.net (Ralph Richard Cook) wrote:
>
> > Mine didn't make the migration...and I was even in Kenny's Top
> > Ten. No respect, I tell you, no respect at all.

Which reminds me, as soon as I get this push for the uocoming most
excellent ILC2003 behind me I need to get back in there and review the
latest Roads. I know I saw one that was a Top10 candidate.

> > But seriously, folks, I don't think I have a backup of what I said,
> > and I see it's not at www.cliki.net anymore, so if cliki person has
> > it I'd like a copy.
>
> If I search CLiki for "Cook" I get this one:
>
>   <http://www.cliki.net/Ralph%20Richard%20Cook>
>
> Isn't that you?

I thought they searched for stuff mentioning "Road". I wish I had time
to focus on this. Can we restore the Road where it was until I can get
to it post ILC?  Pretty please? If not, can an archive be sent to me
in some reasonably accessible form? I'll do the work, but I do want to
make the changeovber lossless.

kenny
From: Ralph Richard Cook
Just before I posted, I looked and it wasn't there. Honest.
Anyway, I edited my page at ALU. Thanks.

From: Steven E. Harris
······@bellsouth.net (Ralph Richard Cook) writes:

> Mine didn't make the migration...and I was even in Kenny's Top Ten.

Same story here. I not only fell out of the Top 10, I fell out of
existence.

Fortunately, my entry is still hanging around on the old CLiki:

  http://www.cliki.net/Steven%20Harris

--
Steven E. Harris        :: ········@raytheon.com
Raytheon                :: http://www.raytheon.com
From: Jock Cooper
······@bellsouth.net (Ralph Richard Cook) writes:

> Mine didn't make the migration...and I was even in Kenny's Top Ten. No
> respect, I tell you, no respect at all.
>
> But seriously, folks, I don't think I have a backup of what I said,
> and I see it's not at www.cliki.net anymore, so if cliki person has it
> I'd like a copy.

Ditto for me -- mine didn't make it over.
From: Daniel Barlow
Jock Cooper <·····@mail.com> writes:

> ······@bellsouth.net (Ralph Richard Cook) writes:
>
>> But seriously, folks, I don't think I have a backup of what I said,
>> and I see it's not at www.cliki.net anymore, so if cliki person has it
>> I'd like a copy.
>>

> Ditto for me -- mine didn't make it over.

I'm wondering if there's some kind of weirdness going on with the
search engine now.

http://www.cliki.net/admin/search?words=cooper

That's your page at result 1, isn't it?

I can see there are obviously more than a few people who have created
'road to lisp' responses that don't have 'road' in the name.  Just to
complicate the issue, there are more than a few people who have
created their own pages on CLiki that are nothing to do with the Road
to Lisp at all, or that serve a dual purpose as RtL and as a "I am a
CLiki contributor" page.

What I've done for the moment is restored a page at

  http://www.cliki.net/The%20Road%20to%20Lisp%20Survey

with links to all the stranded pages.  What I will do, if I can win my
battle with unix shell quoting conventions, is make copies of all
those on the ALU site, but in the meantime it would be appropriate for
anyone who has a particular preference as to which of the site(s)
they're on (or who wants to be on the ALU site _soon_) to sort their
own page out following the instructions at that address.

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources