From: Sundar Narasimhan
Subject: OFF-TOPIC: Looking for a lisp related job? (in MA, USA)
Hi, All:

We are looking for a junior to medium level (in terms of experience)
developer who is knowledgeable about Lisp (we still use Genera and Franz).

If you are interested in working on really complex and challenging
resource-allocation problems and are interested in having
impact (our current focus is on aviation and our products run at Delta
Airlines, Federal Express etc. :) please send me a note at
······@ascent.com or to ····@ascent.com. You can peruse our web site at
www.ascent.com or www.smartairport.com. We are located in Cambridge,
Massachusetts, USA.

Our products use Lisp, X11,  Oracle, Java, Perl and Web technologies.

Apologies to those of you that think this is an inappropriate use of
this list. We've looked for a while and haven't found anyone
so I thought I'd try this list.

Sundar Narasimhan
Chief Scientist
Ascent Technology, Inc.

From: Erann Gat
In article <······················@comcast.com>, ······@ascent.com wrote:

> Hi, All:
>
> We are looking for a junior to medium level (in terms of experience)
> developer who is knowledgeable about Lisp (we still use Genera and Franz).
>
> If you are interested in working on really complex and challenging
> resource-allocation problems and are interested in having
> impact (our current focus is on aviation and our products run at Delta
> Airlines, Federal Express etc. :) please send me a note at
> ······@ascent.com or to ····@ascent.com. You can peruse our web site at
> www.ascent.com or www.smartairport.com. We are located in Cambridge,
> Massachusetts, USA.
>
> Our products use Lisp, X11,  Oracle, Java, Perl and Web technologies.
>
> Apologies to those of you that think this is an inappropriate use of
> this list. We've looked for a while and haven't found anyone
> so I thought I'd try this list.
>
> Sundar Narasimhan
> Chief Scientist
> Ascent Technology, Inc.

No apologies necessary.  This posting is most welcome, and decidedly
on-topic.  (I'm a bit at a loss to imagine why you would think that it
wasn't.)

E.
From: Kenny Tilton
Erann Gat wrote:
> In article <······················@comcast.com>, ······@ascent.com wrote:
>

>>Hi, All:
>>
>>We are looking for a junior to medium level (in terms of experience)
>>developer who is knowledgeable about Lisp (we still use Genera and Franz).
>>
>>If you are interested in working on really complex and challenging
>>resource-allocation problems and are interested in having
>>impact (our current focus is on aviation and our products run at Delta
>>Airlines, Federal Express etc. :) please send me a note at
>>······@ascent.com or to ····@ascent.com. You can peruse our web site at
>>www.ascent.com or www.smartairport.com. We are located in Cambridge,
>>Massachusetts, USA.
>>
>>Our products use Lisp, X11,  Oracle, Java, Perl and Web technologies.
>>
>>Apologies to those of you that think this is an inappropriate use of
>>this list. We've looked for a while and haven't found anyone
>>so I thought I'd try this list.
>>
>>Sundar Narasimhan
>>Chief Scientist
>>Ascent Technology, Inc.
>

> No apologies necessary.  This posting is most welcome, and decidedly
> on-topic.  (I'm a bit at a loss to imagine why you would think that it
> wasn't.)

He did restrict it "to those of you that think this is an inappropriate
use of this list", so he was just being considerate to anyone of
heightened sensitivity who thinks the advert belongs on
comp.lang.lisp.jobs. To them, even if it be the null set, it is
necessary. (I'm at a complete loss as to why that is not obvious. <g>)

--

  clinisys, inc
  http://www.tilton-technology.com/
From: Marco Baringer
···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) writes:

> No apologies necessary.  This posting is most welcome, and decidedly
> on-topic.  (I'm a bit at a loss to imagine why you would think that it
> wasn't.)

just saw this exact same message appear on ll1-discuss; must be a
generic message which is on-topic in c.l.l but non neccessarily
everywhere he sent it.

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.
From: Jacek Generowicz
···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) writes:

> In article <······················@comcast.com>, ······@ascent.com wrote:

<job posting>

> No apologies necessary.  This posting is most welcome, and decidedly
> on-topic.  (I'm a bit at a loss to imagine why you would think that it
> wasn't.)

Is some newsgroups, flaming anyone who advertises a job, is a
favourite pastime.
From: Erann Gat
In article <···············@pcepsft001.cern.ch>, Jacek Generowicz
<················@cern.ch> wrote:

> ···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) writes:
>
> > In article <······················@comcast.com>, ······@ascent.com wrote:
>
> <job posting>
>
> > No apologies necessary.  This posting is most welcome, and decidedly
> > on-topic.  (I'm a bit at a loss to imagine why you would think that it
> > wasn't.)
>
> Is some newsgroups, flaming anyone who advertises a job, is a
> favourite pastime.

I suspect this is because job offers are so common in those newsgroups
that they become an annoyance.  It will be a happy day when that happens
on c.l.l.

E.
From: Joe Marshall
Jacek Generowicz <················@cern.ch> writes:

> ···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) writes:
>
>> In article <······················@comcast.com>, ······@ascent.com wrote:
>
> <job posting>
>
>> No apologies necessary.  This posting is most welcome, and decidedly
>> on-topic.  (I'm a bit at a loss to imagine why you would think that it
>> wasn't.)
>
> In some newsgroups, flaming anyone who advertizes a job, is a
> favorite pastime.

Yeah, but we're pretty desperate here.
From: Daniel Barlow
Joe Marshall <···@ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> Jacek Generowicz <················@cern.ch> writes:
>
>> ···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) writes:
>>
>>> In article <······················@comcast.com>, ······@ascent.com wrote:
>>
>> <job posting>
>>
>>> No apologies necessary.  This posting is most welcome, and decidedly
>>> on-topic.  (I'm a bit at a loss to imagine why you would think that it
>>> wasn't.)
>>
>> In some newsgroups, flaming anyone who advertizes a job, is a
>> favorite pastime.
>
> Yeah, but we're pretty desperate here.

Heh.  Actually, I was wondering about this.  Lately I've seen Lisp
jobs advertised on c.l.l, lemonodor, the ll1 list, schemers.org, and
probably some other places I can't remember - but fairly widely
scattered, in any case.

Meanwhile, Googling for "lisp job" gets a bunch of hits for the old
comp.lang.lisp FAQ and a couple of mailing lists
(············@cs.cmu.edu, and ·········@cis.ohio-state.edu) which
according to their archives gave out in 1997 or 2000.  So, how should
we steer recruiters (who may not know a lot about computers at all,
never mind Lisp) to places that they can post job offers and find
Lispers?  Though I'm as happy as anyone to see jobs in the newsgroup
(given especially that I'm looking for one at the moment: mail me for
cv/resume ;-), perhaps we'd be better off with something that has a
presence on the web that can get widely linked to and hence is visible
in search engines.

Mailing list with web archives?  ALU Wiki section?  Dedicated web
site (written in Lisp, for preference)?  Ideas?  Volunteers?  We may
as well get this kind of stuff sorted out now before the rush of
Tilton-driven recruiters arrive.

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Paolo Amoroso
Daniel Barlow writes:

> Meanwhile, Googling for "lisp job" gets a bunch of hits for the old
> comp.lang.lisp FAQ and a couple of mailing lists
> (············@cs.cmu.edu, and ·········@cis.ohio-state.edu) which
> according to their archives gave out in 1997 or 2000.  So, how should

I subscribe to ai+lisp-jobs. While it is definitely not a high traffic
list, there were a number of interesting posts after 2000. I have
saved maybe a dozen of them, but I can't currently access them. Those
posts were among the sources for my list of companies using Lisp.

> we steer recruiters (who may not know a lot about computers at all,
> never mind Lisp) to places that they can post job offers and find
> Lispers?  Though I'm as happy as anyone to see jobs in the newsgroup
[...]
> Mailing list with web archives?  ALU Wiki section?  Dedicated web
> site (written in Lisp, for preference)?  Ideas?  Volunteers?  We may

An ALU resource may be appropriate. There are some plans to discuss
similar issues--e.g. a members area at the ALU site--at ILC 2003.

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>