From: KingOfMalkier
Subject: resetting clisp
Hello, I'm very new to lisp itself, but I've been writing a
front-end for Clisp, because I feel I can learn the language better
in an environment I'm comfortable with. It basically looks like
Dr. Scheme, which I imagine a good number of people here have seen.
One problem I've run into is that any lisp program that calls (quit)
causes clisp to quit (obviously) and my program to hang. Is there a
way to make the (quit) function reset clisp?

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: resetting clisp
>* KingOfMalkier <······@jcv.rqh> [2003-09-14 12:26:01 -0400]:
>
> any lisp program that calls (quit) causes clisp to quit (obviously)
> and my program to hang. Is there a way to make the (quit) function
> reset clisp?

what does "reset" mean?

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
((lambda (x) `(,x ',x)) '(lambda (x) `(,x ',x)))
From: KingOfMalkier
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:52:40 +0000, Sam Steingold wrote:

>>* KingOfMalkier <······@jcv.rqh> [2003-09-14 12:26:01 -0400]:
>>
>> any lisp program that calls (quit) causes clisp to quit (obviously)
>> and my program to hang. Is there a way to make the (quit) function
>> reset clisp?
>
> what does "reset" mean?

Oh, sorry. Basically, I want any functions that were defined or
values that were stored to be cleared. Clisp should be exactly like
when it starts up. I was hoping there is a way to do this internally,
without actually restarting Clisp.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
KingOfMalkier <······@wpi.edu> writes:

> Hello, I'm very new to lisp itself, but I've been writing a
> front-end for Clisp, because I feel I can learn the language better
> in an environment I'm comfortable with. It basically looks like
> Dr. Scheme, which I imagine a good number of people here have seen.
> One problem I've run into is that any lisp program that calls (quit)
> causes clisp to quit (obviously) and my program to hang. Is there a
> way to make the (quit) function reset clisp?

I guess that  you should better do something  like emacs+ilisp: invoke
child clisp  processes to  run the lisp  programs you're  handing from
your IDE.  So you have  the clisp image  running your IDE, and  one or
more clisp images running the programs started from your IDE.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/
From: KingOfMalkier
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:11:45 +0200, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> KingOfMalkier <······@wpi.edu> writes:
>
>> Hello, I'm very new to lisp itself, but I've been writing a
>> front-end for Clisp, because I feel I can learn the language better
>> in an environment I'm comfortable with. It basically looks like
>> Dr. Scheme, which I imagine a good number of people here have seen.
>> One problem I've run into is that any lisp program that calls (quit)
>> causes clisp to quit (obviously) and my program to hang. Is there a
>> way to make the (quit) function reset clisp?
>
> I guess that  you should better do something  like emacs+ilisp: invoke
> child clisp  processes to  run the lisp  programs you're  handing from
> your IDE.  So you have  the clisp image  running your IDE, and  one or
> more clisp images running the programs started from your IDE.

Currently I've got an instance of clisp that I start and
communicate with using c++ (it's a gtkmm frontend). Do you suggest
spawning the processes from within lisp, or from c++? As I said,
I know very little about lisp itself, mostly that it has
applications in AI, which interests me greatly.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
KingOfMalkier <······@wpi.edu> writes:

> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:11:45 +0200, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
>
> > KingOfMalkier <······@wpi.edu> writes:
> >
> >> Hello, I'm very new to lisp itself, but I've been writing a
> >> front-end for Clisp, because I feel I can learn the language better
> >> in an environment I'm comfortable with. It basically looks like
> >> Dr. Scheme, which I imagine a good number of people here have seen.
> >> One problem I've run into is that any lisp program that calls (quit)
> >> causes clisp to quit (obviously) and my program to hang. Is there a
> >> way to make the (quit) function reset clisp?
> >
> > I guess that  you should better do something  like emacs+ilisp: invoke
> > child clisp  processes to  run the lisp  programs you're  handing from
> > your IDE.  So you have  the clisp image  running your IDE, and  one or
> > more clisp images running the programs started from your IDE.
>
> Currently I've got an instance of clisp that I start and
> communicate with using c++ (it's a gtkmm frontend). Do you suggest
> spawning the processes from within lisp, or from c++? As I said,
> I know very little about lisp itself, mostly that it has
> applications in AI, which interests me greatly.

Yes, what better learning experience than to program your front-end in
Lisp!

In CLisp,  you can  use ext:run-program or  ext:make-pipe-io-stream to
run a subprocess and communicate with it on its stdin/stdout.

From: KingOfMalkier
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:41:00 +0200, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> KingOfMalkier <······@wpi.edu> writes:

>> > I guess that  you should better do something  like emacs+ilisp:
>> > invoke child clisp  processes to  run the lisp  programs you're
>> > handing from your IDE.  So you have  the clisp image  running your
>> > IDE, and  one or more clisp images running the programs started from
>> > your IDE.
>>
>> Currently I've got an instance of clisp that I start and communicate
>> with using c++ (it's a gtkmm frontend). Do you suggest spawning the
>> processes from within lisp, or from c++? As I said, I know very little
>> about lisp itself, mostly that it has applications in AI, which
>> interests me greatly.
>
> Yes, what better learning experience than to program your front-end in
> Lisp!
>
> In CLisp,  you can  use ext:run-program or  ext:make-pipe-io-stream to
> run a subprocess and communicate with it on its stdin/stdout.

Alright, thanks a bunch. Though I don't think I'll be using it right away,
since the gtk2 bindings for clisp aren't finished. I've actually been
planning on using cl-gtk some time in the future, because I thought it
would be sweet to write GClisp from within GClisp. Thanks for the advice
though, I plan on using it!