From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: [ANNC] Lisp NYC September meeting, featuring Anton on the Lambda Calculus
Boy do we have a good one this month. Gonna have a white board and
everything, and you'll even be able to hear because we have arranged a
new location for this special occasion.

Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2003
Time: 7PM
Place: (Kenny's apt) 171 West 73rd St, Apt 4, NYC 10023
Hint: buzzers unlabeled; you'll need to remember "4".
Phone: 212-724-7410 or 646-269-1077
Directions: Just east of Asterdam/Broadway, three blocks south of Time
Out, the usual venue. Take the 1,2,3, or 9 to 72nd st, use the 79th/Boat
Basin exit off the West Side Highway.
Refreshments: BYOB

Topic: The Lambda Calculus
Speaker: Anton van Straaten

Anton is a consultant and software developer with a strong interest in
the design and development of programming languages.  He has developed
award-winning language products and tools, such as "Class(y)", which
added full object-oriented language capabilities to the Clipper database
language, complete with multiple inheritance and a meta-object protocol.
  Anton's research during this development led him to study the formal
foundations of programming languages, including the lambda calculus,
type theory, and denotational semantics.  Anton considers these subjects
to have much greater relevance to practical programming than is commonly
realized, and enjoys sharing his perspective.

His Web site is: http://www.appsolutions.com/anton/lang.html

We'll cruise out afterwards to close the usual bars. <g>

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc

From: Doug Tolton
On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 21:38:36 GMT, Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com>
wrote:

>Boy do we have a good one this month. Gonna have a white board and
>everything, and you'll even be able to hear because we have arranged a
>new location for this special occasion.
>
>Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2003
>Time: 7PM
>Place: (Kenny's apt) 171 West 73rd St, Apt 4, NYC 10023
>Hint: buzzers unlabeled; you'll need to remember "4".
>Phone: 212-724-7410 or 646-269-1077
>Directions: Just east of Asterdam/Broadway, three blocks south of Time
>Out, the usual venue. Take the 1,2,3, or 9 to 72nd st, use the 79th/Boat
>Basin exit off the West Side Highway.
>Refreshments: BYOB
>
>Topic: The Lambda Calculus
>Speaker: Anton van Straaten
>
>Anton is a consultant and software developer with a strong interest in
>the design and development of programming languages.  He has developed
>award-winning language products and tools, such as "Class(y)", which
>added full object-oriented language capabilities to the Clipper database
>language, complete with multiple inheritance and a meta-object protocol.
>  Anton's research during this development led him to study the formal
>foundations of programming languages, including the lambda calculus,
>type theory, and denotational semantics.  Anton considers these subjects
>to have much greater relevance to practical programming than is commonly
>realized, and enjoys sharing his perspective.
>
>His Web site is: http://www.appsolutions.com/anton/lang.html
>
>We'll cruise out afterwards to close the usual bars. <g>

Dude, when are you going to start recording these things?!?

I want streaming video man.  C'mon get with the program. ;)

Those of use in the boonies want to be included as well.

:)

Doug Tolton
(format t ···@~a~a.~a" "dtolton" "ya" "hoo" "com")
From: Tayss
Doug Tolton <·······@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<··································@4ax.com>...
> Dude, when are you going to start recording these things?!?
> I want streaming video man.  C'mon get with the program. ;)
> Those of use in the boonies want to be included as well.

No kidding.  It doesn't have to be streaming, and can be distributed
via bittorrent.  Unless someone has a problem being taped, it would
certainly be cool.

Should people chip in for digital camcorder rental? ;)
From: Kenny Tilton
Doug Tolton wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 21:38:36 GMT, Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Boy do we have a good one this month.
>
> Dude, when are you going to start recording these things?!?

I feel your pain. But, puh-leeze, with all that powder an hour away, you
want sympathy?

> I want streaming video man.  C'mon get with the program. ;)

uh, howdoidothat? Unfortunately I dropped my digital camcorder and it
does not do sound, kinda crucial I would say. But I think I know where I
could get one. what else would we need?

<sigh> Anton is going to demand make-up and a dressing room, I just know it.

> Those of use in the boonies want to be included as well.

What part of Lisp _N_Y_C_ do you not understand? :) Good luck with your
Salt Lake group. If I decide to move to the Rockies in a few
months...well, Boulder is more likely than Salt Lake, but ya never know.

From: Anton van Straaten
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Doug Tolton wrote:
> > On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 21:38:36 GMT, Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Boy do we have a good one this month.
> >
> > Dude, when are you going to start recording these things?!?
> >
> > I want streaming video man.  C'mon get with the program. ;)

> <sigh> Anton is going to demand make-up and a dressing room, I just know
it.

Hey, I'm no diva!  I'll settle for a bottle of champagne in the LispNYC
limo, which I assume you'll be sending for me.  I'll have my people talk to
your people about the syndication rights...

Anton
From: Paolo Amoroso
"Anton van Straaten" <·····@appsolutions.com> writes:

> Hey, I'm no diva!  I'll settle for a bottle of champagne in the LispNYC
> limo, which I assume you'll be sending for me.  I'll have my people talk to
> your people about the syndication rights...

You will end up using *LISP.

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>
From: Kenny Tilton
Folks, do me a favor, if you are going to be dropping by for what should
be a fascinating talk for Lisp family fans who have learned to love the
languages and wonder where the heck it came from (I always figured it
was aliens, because just look at all the other languages!)...

...please let me know, by email preferably. I just want to get a head
count. This is a fair-sized apt as brownstones go, but they don't go
very far. I think I know where I can snag extra seats... well, plz lemme
know so I know how bad to panic.

Include whether you are spry enough to hold the lotus position for 40
minutes on a floor cushion.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc
  http://www.tilton-technology.com/
"This is my simple religion.
There is no need for temples;
no need for complicated philosophy.
Our own brain, our own heart is our temple;
the philosophy is kindness."
            --  Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama
From: Marco Scoffier

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:23:16 +0000, Kenny Tilton wrote:
> uh, howdoidothat? Unfortunately I dropped my digital camcorder and it
> does not do sound, kinda crucial I would say. But I think I know where I
> could get one. what else would we need?

I can do both, but IMO audio is most important.  Who wants to download
50 megs of a badly lit talking head, when you can get all the information
in audio for a meg or two.  I can bring a recorder and mics.

--
Marco Scoffier
From: Kenny Tilton
Marco Scoffier wrote:
>>Doug Tolton wrote:
>>
>>>I want streaming video man.  C'mon get with the program. ;)
>>
> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:23:16 +0000, Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>>uh, howdoidothat? Unfortunately I dropped my digital camcorder and it
>>does not do sound, kinda crucial I would say. But I think I know where I
>>could get one. what else would we need?
>>

> I can do both, but IMO audio is most important.  Who wants to download
> 50 megs of a badly lit talking head, when you can get all the information
> in audio for a meg or two.

Oh, my, no, there's going to be an easel or whiteboard or something and
then we move to a demonstration on a 31" TV and close with a hundred
tap-dancers doing the Lambda Stomp. I mean, the last bit would be fun
audio-only, but for the rest...

hmmm, can we run the video from the laptop to the camcorder to the TV so
the demo goes on the TV? Will the camcorder still pick up the sound.
This could get hialrious, and it seems like we'll have to start setting
up at noon to be ready by 7pm.

>  I can bring a recorder and mics.

Excellent. I can drag that light over from next door to pump up the lumens.

From: Doug Tolton
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 18:14:58 GMT, Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com>
wrote:

>Marco Scoffier wrote:

>> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:23:16 +0000, Kenny Tilton wrote:
>>
>>>uh, howdoidothat? Unfortunately I dropped my digital camcorder and it
>>>does not do sound, kinda crucial I would say. But I think I know where I
>>>could get one. what else would we need?
>>>

>> I can do both, but IMO audio is most important.  Who wants to download
>> 50 megs of a badly lit talking head, when you can get all the information
>> in audio for a meg or two.
>
>Oh, my, no, there's going to be an easel or whiteboard or something and
>then we move to a demonstration on a 31" TV and close with a hundred
>tap-dancers doing the Lambda Stomp. I mean, the last bit would be fun
>audio-only, but for the rest...
>
>hmmm, can we run the video from the laptop to the camcorder to the TV so
>the demo goes on the TV? Will the camcorder still pick up the sound.
>This could get hialrious, and it seems like we'll have to start setting
>up at noon to be ready by 7pm.
>
>>  I can bring a recorder and mics.
>
>Excellent. I can drag that light over from next door to pump up the lumens.

I'm getting excited about seeing this. :)

You guys will get to be the first nationally broadcasted LISP user
group.  Maybe even worldwide!

Seriously, I'm not sure about the other guys here, but I wouldn't mind
kicking in 10 or 20 bucks to help cover the time and expense.  I know
it's a lot of trouble to record it, but in the digital world something
as trivial as geography shouldn't keep us out of the meeting. :)

From: Kenny Tilton
Doug Tolton wrote:
> I'm getting excited about seeing this. :)

Ooops. How about hearing this? Someone in the know said audio should
suffice, that video would be a monster to convert, and that the added
value would be samll. That said, if the demand is overwhelming we can
record video and transfer to VHS.

> You guys will get to be the first nationally broadcasted LISP user
> group.  Maybe even worldwide!

On NPR? :)

> Seriously, I'm not sure about the other guys here, but I wouldn't mind
> kicking in 10 or 20 bucks to help cover the time and expense.  I know
> it's a lot of trouble to record it, but in the digital world something
> as trivial as geography shouldn't keep us out of the meeting. :)

Man, we gotta find you some Salt Laker Lispniks! :)

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc
  http://www.tilton-technology.com/
"This is my simple religion.
There is no need for temples;
no need for complicated philosophy.
Our own brain, our own heart is our temple;
the philosophy is kindness."
            --  Tenzin Gyatso, the Dalai Lama
From: Lars Brinkhoff
> Doug Tolton wrote:
> > I'm getting excited about seeing this. :)
> Ooops. How about hearing this? Someone in the know said audio should
> suffice, that video would be a monster to convert, and that the
> added value would be [small].

A few stills could be nice.

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/
From: Kenny Tilton
Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>
>>Doug Tolton wrote:
>>
>>>I'm getting excited about seeing this. :)
>>
>>Ooops. How about hearing this? Someone in the know said audio should
>>suffice, that video would be a monster to convert, and that the
>>added value would be [small].
>

> A few stills could be nice.

I did snap a few pix from the floor...haven't DLed them from the cam
yet, so no promises... should I put them on my web site, or... come to
think of it, i have never seen a JPG here on c.l.l. Is that enforced
somehow? (God forbid I should just try it and see.)

From: Doug Tolton
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:23:16 GMT, Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com>
wrote:

>Doug Tolton wrote:
>> On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 21:38:36 GMT, Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Boy do we have a good one this month.
>>
>> Dude, when are you going to start recording these things?!?
>
>I feel your pain. But, puh-leeze, with all that powder an hour away, you
>want sympathy?

Yeah the powder is nice, but do you really think powder can replace
Lisp?  Then of course I've grown up with the powder, so maybe I take
it for granted.

>> I want streaming video man.  C'mon get with the program. ;)
>
>uh, howdoidothat? Unfortunately I dropped my digital camcorder and it
>does not do sound, kinda crucial I would say. But I think I know where I
>could get one. what else would we need?
Can't you write a new driver in Cells that will route around the
damaged portion of the camcorder?  C'mon, we all know Lisp can do
*anything*. ;)^2

><sigh> Anton is going to demand make-up and a dressing room, I just know it.
>

>> Those of use in the boonies want to be included as well.
>
>What part of Lisp _N_Y_C_ do you not understand? :) Good luck with your
>Salt Lake group. If I decide to move to the Rockies in a few
>months...well, Boulder is more likely than Salt Lake, but ya never know.

Yeah, yeah, geography schmeography.  :)  I know it's Lisp NYC, thus I
want a Lisp NYC - R_E_C_O_R_D_I_N_G. :-).

If you decide to move out here to the Rockies, then I'm going to have
to pick your brain on getting a Lisp job out in this area.  I would
love to get a position that allowed me to use Lisp even as a support
technology to a more mainstream techology.  Of course,
I've been posting about getting a job using lisp on
comp.doug.wants.... oh wait, sorry different thread. :)

From: Anton van Straaten
Kenny Tilton wrote:
> Boy do we have a good one this month. Gonna have a white board and
> everything, and you'll even be able to hear because we have arranged a
> new location for this special occasion.
>
> Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2003
> Time: 7PM
> Place: (Kenny's apt) 171 West 73rd St, Apt 4, NYC 10023
> Hint: buzzers unlabeled; you'll need to remember "4".
> Phone: 212-724-7410 or 646-269-1077
> Directions: Just east of Asterdam/Broadway, three blocks south of Time
> Out, the usual venue. Take the 1,2,3, or 9 to 72nd st, use the 79th/Boat
> Basin exit off the West Side Highway.
> Refreshments: BYOB
>
> Topic: The Lambda Calculus
> Speaker: Anton van Straaten

Just to expand on this a little, the full description of the topic is:

   "Lambda calculus and its historical & technical connection to Lisp."

Since this is for Lisp NYC, the talk will include small illustrative
examples in Common Lisp.  However, anyone with a programming background
should have no difficulty following along.

Anton