From: Miroslaw Osys
Subject: CLISP numeric bug?
Hi everyone!

Yesterday, while working on program for digital filter desing
I found that this piece of code:

(loop for i from 1 to 1000 do (print (log (* i 0.001))))

gives 'Segmentation fault' on CLISP 2.30.
Since it is hard to post report on clisp bug list
Id like to ask if newer versions can eval it correctly.

Regards

From: Justin Dubs
Subject: Re: CLISP numeric bug?
Works fine on CLISP 2.29 on Mac OS X.

$ clisp --version
GNU CLISP 2.29 (released 2002-07-25) (built on hiro.local
[192.168.1.10])
Features: (CLOS LOOP COMPILER CLISP ANSI-CL COMMON-LISP LISP=CL
INTERPRETER SOCKETS GENERIC-STREAMS LOGICAL-PATHNAMES SCREEN GETTEXT
UNICODE BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER UNIX)

Justin Dubs
From: Douglas Philips
Miroslaw Osys wrote:
> Yesterday, while working on program for digital filter desing
> I found that this piece of code:
>
> (loop for i from 1 to 1000 do (print (log (* i 0.001))))
>
> gives 'Segmentation fault' on CLISP 2.30.
> Since it is hard to post report on clisp bug list
> Id like to ask if newer versions can eval it correctly.

You don't say which platform you're running it on.
The latest CVS head build on Jaguar (Mac OS/X 10.2.6) runs it without
segfaults. I have on idea if the numbers printed are correct though. ;-)

<D\'gou
From: Karsten Poeck
works on cygwin,
why do you consider it hard to report a bug?

karsten
From: Jakub Travnik
On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 14:30:12 +0200, Miroslaw Osys wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> Yesterday, while working on program for digital filter desing
> I found that this piece of code:
>
> (loop for i from 1 to 1000 do (print (log (* i 0.001))))
>
> gives 'Segmentation fault' on CLISP 2.30.
> Since it is hard to post report on clisp bug list
> Id like to ask if newer versions can eval it correctly.

I can confirm error on x86 Debian linux

clisp debian version is: 1:2.30-9 (latest in unstable)
error message is:

[a lot of numbers skipped]
-0.5447271
-0.54300445
-0.5412848
-0.53956807
*** - handle_fault error2 ! address = 0x203F3F58 not in [0x20222000,0x20374480) !
SIGSEGV cannot be cured. Fault address = 0x203F3F58.

Jakub Travnik
·············@jabber.com
From: Miroslaw Osys
Hi again!

Yes, I forgotten to include that my system is Slackware Linux 8.1.

I tried to post this bug to propoer list but only found
one on sourceforge.net and seems it is impossible to add new post there
(maybe due to I was not logged).

Thanks for all responses.
I wish to have this bug corrected - any suggestion how to post this bug?

Regards
From: Philippe Crama
Miroslaw Osys <····@zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl> wrote in message news:<············@zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl>...
> Hi again!
>
> Yes, I forgotten to include that my system is Slackware Linux 8.1.
There is a note in NEWS (see on the ftp server of the project:
ftp://cvs2.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/snapshots/NEWS) saying that
libsigsegv is not included anymore:
> 2.30 (2002-09-15)
> =================
>
> User visible changes
> --------------------
>
> * ...
> * ...
> * ...
> * CLISP does not come with GNU libsigsegv anymore.  This means that in
>   certain cases of infinite recursion, the C stack overflow will not be
>   properly detected and will result in a segfault instead of an error.
>   You are urged to download and install GNU libsigsegv from
>   <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libsigsegv/> or
>   <http://sourceforge.net/projects/libsigsegv/>
>   before configuring CLISP.
Could this be related to your problem?

Also, this could be related (in
ftp://cvs2.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/snapshots/ChangeLog):
2003-08-30  John Hinsdale  <···@alma.com>

	* intelem.d: Fix bug #726433: Floating point numbers
	printed incorrectly - gcc -O/-g bug?

Philippe Crama
From: Coby Beck
"Miroslaw Osys" <····@zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl> wrote in message
·················@zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl...
> Hi again!
>
> Yes, I forgotten to include that my system is Slackware Linux 8.1.

What clisp version?  Maybe you should just get a later version.  This works
on for this clisp on Debian something or other:
····@henry:~$ clisp --version
GNU CLISP 2.28 (released 2002-03-03) (built 3234569378) (memory 3234569575)
Features:
(CLOS LOOP COMPILER CLISP ANSI-CL COMMON-LISP LISP=CL INTERPRETER SOCKETS
GENERIC-STREAMS LOGICAL-PATHNAMES SCREEN FFI
 GETTEXT UNICODE BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER PC386 UNIX)