From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Question about :case :common
Am I correct in assuming that a mixed-case string passed as a
component to MAKE-PATHNAME with :case :common on a filesystem that
only allows one case will be translated to that case, the same as it
would with :case :local? As I say, I assume that must be the case, but
Section 19.2.2.1.2.2 "Common Case in Pathname Components" says only
"Mixed case represents itself", which--taken quite literally--would
imply that it would be non-portable to ever use a mixed case string
with :case :common since on a uni-case filesystem it would yield an
invalid name.

Or, maybe more to the point, what's the bad, non-portable thing that
happens if one just lets the :case argument to all the functions in
Figure 19-2 always take the default :local?

-Peter