From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: PING The Class of 2003: Yer gaining...
The Frosh (aka Class of 2003) had been trailing the Sophomore Class of
2002 until recently, but they are coming on nicely. And a lag can be
expected so it looks as if 2003 will pull it out:

    http://alu.cliki.net/The%20RtLS%20by%20Switch%20Year

By decade:

60s:  1 lucky stiff: four decades of Lisp!
70s:  3
80s: 20
90s: 19 uh-oh
00s: 64 whew!

Zooming in on the OOs:

00:  7
01: 10 [May 1, 2001: Paul Graham on Slashdot re Lisp]
02: 26
03: 21 actual, 42 projected

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com

From: Daniel Barlow
Subject: Re: PING The Class of 2003: Yer gaining...

> By decade:
>
> 60s:  1 lucky stiff: four decades of Lisp!
> 70s:  3
> 80s: 20
> 90s: 19 uh-oh
       ^^^^^^^^

Call me dense, but you consider this too many or too few?  I first
played with Lisp in the 1990s, but I don't want to fill out the survey
yet while I'm still just playing with the language - I figured I'd
leave it until I've actually used Lisp for more than a toy program.

> 00s: 64 whew!

-dan
From: Kenny Tilton
Daniel Barlow wrote:
> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>

>>By decade:
>>
>>60s:  1 lucky stiff: four decades of Lisp!
>>70s:  3
>>80s: 20
>>90s: 19 uh-oh
>
>        ^^^^^^^^
>
> Call me dense, but you consider this too many or too few?

That was meant as a commentary not on how many folks had filled out the
survey, but instead on the apparent declining popularity of Lisp (as if
I were back in the 90s seeing the results in real-time). This of course
presumes that my survey is scientific, which is poppycock, but all in
all I'm just having fun with this.

Speaking of which, I have been astonished at how many Lispniks I meet do
not even know about cll. And when I recently threw a hissy fit at cll
nonsense I got helpful emails suggesting other lisp lists I might like.
Anyway, if anyone thinks the survey could help Lisp, plz spread word of
the survey to others who might have escaped the drumbeat of my survey
hawking here on cll.

   I first
> played with Lisp in the 1990s, but I don't want to fill out the survey
> yet while I'm still just playing with the language - I figured I'd
> leave it until I've actually used Lisp for more than a toy program.

Good idea. The survey is really for people who have bought into Lisp
big-time, tho not necessarily to the exclusion of COBOL.

:)

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com