From: Wang Yin
Subject: Hemlock? Emacs?
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between Hemlock and Emacs?
Which is more convenient editing and running lisp?

--
Yin Wang,
EDA Lab,

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: Hemlock? Emacs?
Wang Yin <ยทยท@wangyin.com> writes:

> Can anyone tell me what's the difference between Hemlock and Emacs?
> Which is more convenient editing and running lisp?

"Emacs" is kind of like "Lisp" -- it's a family of editors.  GNU Emacs
and XEmacs are the dominant Emacses.  Hemlock is the Emacs that runs
inside CMUCL.  If you're already a GNU Emacs or XEmacs user, it's
probably easier for you to use Emacs and ILISP.  If you're using
CMUCL, and you're not an experienced Emacs user, I recommend Hemlock:
it's easy to start using, and comes with a nice manual explaining how
to edit Lisp and interact with the running Lisp image.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: mikel
Wang Yin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me what's the difference between Hemlock and Emacs?
> Which is more convenient editing and running lisp?

Essentially, Hemlock is a species of Emacs that evolved within CMUCL
(that is to say, it's the editor that's built into CMUCL). Emacs is more
a family of editors than it is a specific editor; there are many
variants of Emacs each with its idiosyncracies. The two most important
variants are GNU Emacs and Xemacs, but there are many more, and Hemlock
is one of them.

Important idiosyncracies of Hemlock are:

1. It completely works only in its native environment (that is, embedded
in CMUCL), though some folks are working on a version, called Portable
Hemlock, that will run on other lisps

2. The implementation and extension language of GNU Emacs and Xemacs is
a dialect called elisp; that of Hemlock is Common Lisp, which is reason
enough for some folks to want to use Hemlock instead one of the other
emacsen

3. The syntax of commands in Hemlock is different from the syntax of
commands in GNU Emacs and Xemacs (it's a little more reminiscent of
Zmacs, the Emacs variant that ran on Lisp Machines)

4. Hemlock lacks certain features of the more widely-used Emacs
variants, including their large libraries of editing modes.