From: Erann Gat
Subject: Hindley-Milner in Common Lisp
Before I go reinventing the wheel, does anyone have a Common Lisp
implementation of the Hindley-Milner type inferencing algorithm?  I
already have a Scheme implementation courtesy of Marc Feely.  A web search
turned up piles of paperes (many of them very interesting BTW) but no
code.

Thanks,
E.

From: Paul F. Dietz
Subject: Re: Hindley-Milner in Common Lisp
Erann Gat wrote:
> Before I go reinventing the wheel, does anyone have a Common Lisp
> implementation of the Hindley-Milner type inferencing algorithm?

Wasn't LCF originally implemented (along with ML) on top of lisp?

	Paul
From: Peter Seibel
···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) writes:

> Before I go reinventing the wheel, does anyone have a Common Lisp
> implementation of the Hindley-Milner type inferencing algorithm? I
> already have a Scheme implementation courtesy of Marc Feely. A web
> search turned up piles of paperes (many of them very interesting
> BTW) but no code.

Do you still have any of the URLs handy for some of the better ones? I
did a search too but was overwhelmed with results--if you've read, or
even skimmed, some and found ones that would be particularly good
reading for someone coming from a Lisp background it might save me and
others interested in the topic some time.

-Peter

From: Erann Gat
In article <··············@javamonkey.com>, Peter Seibel
<·····@javamonkey.com> wrote:

> ···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) writes:
>
> > Before I go reinventing the wheel, does anyone have a Common Lisp
> > implementation of the Hindley-Milner type inferencing algorithm? I
> > already have a Scheme implementation courtesy of Marc Feely. A web
> > search turned up piles of paperes (many of them very interesting
> > BTW) but no code.
>
> Do you still have any of the URLs handy for some of the better ones? I
> did a search too but was overwhelmed with results--if you've read, or
> even skimmed, some and found ones that would be particularly good
> reading for someone coming from a Lisp background it might save me and
> others interested in the topic some time.

This one looks like the most promising so far:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/boyer/ftp/diss/akers.pdf

Not exactly on point, but also interesting looking:

http://www.research.avayalabs.com/user/wadler/topics/monads.html

In general I have become a huge fan of Phillip Wadler ever since seeing
him at ILC talking with a straight face about "What programming language
does God want you to use?"

E.
From: Darius
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:21:10 -0800
···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) wrote:

> In general I have become a huge fan of Phillip Wadler ever since
> seeing him at ILC talking with a straight face about "What programming
> language does God want you to use?"
>
> E.

Details?  A reference if it was part of a presentation and/or a
personal summary?

Also some Lispers may also be entertained by this quote by Wadler from
"The Essence of XML":
"So the essence of XML is this: the problem it solves is
not hard, and it does not solve the problem well."
From: Erann Gat
In article <·······························@hotpop.com>, Darius
<·······@hotpop.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:21:10 -0800
> ···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) wrote:
>
> > In general I have become a huge fan of Phillip Wadler ever since
> > seeing him at ILC talking with a straight face about "What programming
> > language does God want you to use?"
> >
> > E.
>
> Details?  A reference if it was part of a presentation and/or a
> personal summary?

I think the talk was drawn from the papers on this page:

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/topics/history.html

E.
From: Frank A. Adrian
Erann Gat wrote:

> In general I have become a huge fan of Phillip Wadler ever since seeing
> him at ILC talking with a straight face about "What programming language
> does God want you to use?"

A tad presumptuous, don't you think?  Unless the language he mentioned was
Lisp, in which case he would be speaking the truth!

faa

P.S. :-), of course.
From: Anton van Straaten
Frank A. Adrian wrote:
> Erann Gat wrote:
>
> > In general I have become a huge fan of Phillip Wadler ever since seeing
> > him at ILC talking with a straight face about "What programming language
> > does God want you to use?"
>
> A tad presumptuous, don't you think?  Unless the language he mentioned was
> Lisp, in which case he would be speaking the truth!

Wadler's answer was the typed lambda calculi, like Haskell.  He recognizes
the contentiousness of the claim about God, so has a weaker version, which
is "what programming language do space aliens use?"

Anton
From: Nikodemus Siivola
Erann Gat <···@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Before I go reinventing the wheel, does anyone have a Common Lisp
> implementation of the Hindley-Milner type inferencing algorithm?

This looks promising:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/code/syntax/haskell/0.html

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus