From: Stephen McCracken
Subject: examples of non-traditional source code presentation?
Hello, all.  I am trying to gather examples of non-traditional visual
presentation of lisp and scheme code.  Examples from both typesetting and
interactive editing would interest me.

I am *NOT* interested in the significant-whitespace style of Python and
Haskell, nor in any other changes to the underlying language syntax.

Rather, I am interested in the presentation layer:  things like
two-dimensional layout, variable-width fonts, tabular layout of let
bindings, unusual notation to replace lambda, "super" right-paren,
conventions for identifier fontification, special markings for variable
scope, etc.

I am not especially interested in heuristic pretty-printing or structure
editors, though the presentation layer of those systems could have some
relevant ideas.

Thank you very much for the pointers.

--Steve

From: Vis Mike
Seems interesting:

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cache/papers/cs/26993/http:zSzzSzwww.dgp.toronto.
eduzSzpeoplezSzRMBzSzpaperszSzp7.pdf/representing-programs-through-algorithm
.pdf

found with google "source code presentation"

-- Mike
From: Jens Axel Søgaard

<http://www.drscheme.org/tour/tour-Z-H-13.html>
<http://www.drscheme.org/tour/tour-Z-H-5.html#node_chap_4>

?

--
Jens Axel S�gaard
From: Henrik Motakef
Stephen McCracken <··········@bestmail.us> writes:

> Rather, I am interested in the presentation layer:  things like
> two-dimensional layout, variable-width fonts, tabular layout of let
> bindings, unusual notation to replace lambda, "super" right-paren,
> conventions for identifier fontification, special markings for variable
> scope, etc.

Not that unusal, but:
<http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PrettyLambda>
<http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/UnParenMode>
<http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DimParentheses>
From: Juliusz Chroboczek
HM> <http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PrettyLambda>

a2ps will also do that if you ask it nicely.

                                        Juliusz
From: james anderson
there are several files in "fred (editor) utilities" folder on the older mcl
erlease cds which attend to source-code presentation issues.

you may need to work a bit to track it down, as digitool does not keep the
contributions online at the moment.

From: Russell Wallace
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:55:59 -0700, Stephen McCracken
<··········@bestmail.us> wrote:

>Rather, I am interested in the presentation layer:  things like
>two-dimensional layout, variable-width fonts, tabular layout of let
>bindings, unusual notation to replace lambda, "super" right-paren,
>conventions for identifier fontification, special markings for variable
>scope, etc.

UltraEdit can use a variable width font, and will also do syntax
coloring on Lisp code if you ask it nicely enough.

>I am not especially interested in heuristic pretty-printing or structure
>editors, though the presentation layer of those systems could have some
>relevant ideas.

I ended up writing my own pretty-printer as a separate command line
program.

--
"Sore wa himitsu desu."
To reply by email, remove
From: Drew McDermott
Stephen McCracken wrote:
 > Hello, all.  I am trying to gather examples of non-traditional visual
 > presentation of lisp and scheme code.  Examples from both typesetting and
 > interactive editing would interest me.

My YTools macro package (available at http://clocc.sourceforge.net/,
with a 40-page manual!), contains the let-fun macro, which augments the
often obscure 'labels' construct in two ways: it allows an optional :def
keyword to signal the beginning of a definition, and it allows some or
all of the local-function definitions to come at the end.  So you can write

    (labels ((foo....)
             (baz ...))
        ---body---)

as

    (let-fun ()
        ---body---

     :where
         (:def foo ...)

         (:def baz ...))

My 'repeat' super-duper-looper macro allows local :where definitions also.

I recommend that for large function definitions in which :where
definitions happen to come at the very end, one violate the usual
indentation rules (normally sacrosanct) and write

(defun big-fcn (...)
    (let-fun ()
        ---body---

     :where

  (:def foo ...)

  (:def baz ...)))

That is, pull those local-function definitions back out to (almost) the
left margin.  I find that this enhances readability and encourages you
to make many more functions local, which is semantically clearer and
often easier for the compiler to manage.

                                              -- Drew McDermott
                                                 Yale CS Department
From: ················@pas-spahem-noos.fr
In comp.lang.scheme Stephen McCracken <··········@bestmail.us> wrote:

> Hello, all.  I am trying to gather examples of non-traditional visual
> presentation of lisp and scheme code.  Examples from both typesetting and
> interactive editing would interest me.
> Rather, I am interested in the presentation layer:  things like
> two-dimensional layout, variable-width fonts, tabular layout of let
> bindings, unusual notation to replace lambda, "super" right-paren,
> conventions for identifier fontification, special markings for variable
> scope, etc.

	l2t (formerly LiSP2TeX) is an example, with a specially non-
	conventional representation: denotational semantics.

http://www-spi.lip6.fr/~queinnec/WWW/LiSP2TeX.html

--
Laurent Bloch
From: Dave Herman
Don't miss Dorai Sitaram's SLaTeX, a formatter and embedded interpreter
for Scheme in LaTeX:

    http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/slatex/

Dave

From: Marc Battyani
"Stephen McCracken" <··········@bestmail.us> wrote

> Hello, all.  I am trying to gather examples of non-traditional visual
> presentation of lisp and scheme code.  Examples from both typesetting and
> interactive editing would interest me.
>
> I am *NOT* interested in the significant-whitespace style of Python and
> Haskell, nor in any other changes to the underlying language syntax.
>
> Rather, I am interested in the presentation layer:  things like
> two-dimensional layout, variable-width fonts, tabular layout of let
> bindings, unusual notation to replace lambda, "super" right-paren,
> conventions for identifier fontification, special markings for variable
> scope, etc.
>
> I am not especially interested in heuristic pretty-printing or structure
> editors, though the presentation layer of those systems could have some
> relevant ideas.

Are you interested in just looking at such presentation or do you want to
write a presentation system ?
If you want to write it, you could be interested by cl-typesetting a
typesetting system written in Common Lisp above cl-pdf (a 100% Common Lisp
library for generating PDF files)

Marc

(BTW I'm still looking for contributors for cl-pdf
(www.fractalconcept.com/asp/cl-pdf.html) and cl-typesetting
(www.fractalconcept.com/ex.pdf))