From: Doug Tolton
Subject: Accessing COM objects
Does anyone know if either Lispworks or Allegro (or even Clisp)  have
FFI bindings for COM objects (it must be a Windows Lisp)?  We have a
fairly large codebase written VB, C# and Python, in order for me to make
decent in-roads here at work I will need to either rewrite a substantial
portion of the code base, or  leverage it from within the Lisp
environment (preferred).

A related question is, can I package up my Lisp code into a com dll so
it can be called from other languages?
--
Doug Tolton
(format t ···@~a~a.~a" "dtolton" "ya" "hoo" "com")

From: Doug Tolton
Subject: Re: Accessing COM objects
Doug Tolton wrote:

> Does anyone know if either Lispworks or Allegro (or even Clisp)  have
> FFI bindings for COM objects (it must be a Windows Lisp)?  We have a
> fairly large codebase written VB, C# and Python, in order for me to make
> decent in-roads here at work I will need to either rewrite a substantial
> portion of the code base, or  leverage it from within the Lisp
> environment (preferred).
>
> A related question is, can I package up my Lisp code into a com dll so
> it can be called from other languages?

I guess I should RTFM more thoroughly next time.

Lispworks appears to have excellent bindings for COM in both directions,
  along with really good documentation.

Allegro also appears to have excellent bindings for COM in both
directions, documentation looks good too.  Note to Franz people, you
might want to change the title of the section from OLE Interface to
COM/OLE interface or something.  OLE is a fairly old term that doesn't
come up to frequently in windows development discussions much any more.
  The more common term used now is COM.

At first glance Corman Lisp has some sort of COM bindings, but the
documentation is a bit terse.

There is my update so far on what I've found.

From: Nick Levine
Doug Tolton <····@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<························@news.easynews.com>...

> Lispworks appears to have excellent bindings for COM in both directions,
>   along with really good documentation.

I have been working on a lispworks binding to the Perforce SCM, via
COM. I will be releasing source (in a couple of weeks time hopefully),
in particular via http://public.perforce.com/guest/robert_cowham/perforce/API/p4com/main/index.html.
If you (or anyone else) would like an "advance copy" then let me know.
It's still at the vile hack stage so I can't guarantee it won't eat
your files at the SCM end of things, or that it won't leak COM
objects. But it will get you started with LW/COM.

- nick
From: Doug Tolton
Nick Levine wrote:

> Doug Tolton <····@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<························@news.easynews.com>...
>

>>Lispworks appears to have excellent bindings for COM in both directions,
>>  along with really good documentation.
>

> I have been working on a lispworks binding to the Perforce SCM, via
> COM. I will be releasing source (in a couple of weeks time hopefully),
> in particular via http://public.perforce.com/guest/robert_cowham/perforce/API/p4com/main/index.html.
> If you (or anyone else) would like an "advance copy" then let me know.
> It's still at the vile hack stage so I can't guarantee it won't eat
> your files at the SCM end of things, or that it won't leak COM
> objects. But it will get you started with LW/COM.
>
> - nick

I would be interested in taking a look at how you set up your com
bindings.  I have a fairly big need for that.

you can get me at my work e-mail at:
(format t ···@~a~a.~a" "dougt" "case" "data" "com")

Thanks much. :)

From: Chris Double
Doug Tolton <····@nospam.com> writes:

> At first glance Corman Lisp has some sort of COM bindings, but the
> documentation is a bit terse.

I wrote a library for Corman Lisp to create wrappers for COM type
libraries. You can obtain it at:

http://www.double.co.nz/cl/

Chris.
From: Kenny Tilton
Is this a potential entry in the CL Cookbook? Maybe Doug should write up
an entry once he is The LispLord of COM. They say the best way to learn
something is to teach it. And then the next time I rag on him for not
contributing to Lisp he can go upside my head with that.

:)

kt

--
http://tilton-technology.com
What?! You are a newbie and you haven't answered my:
From: Doug Tolton
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Is this a potential entry in the CL Cookbook? Maybe Doug should write up
> an entry once he is The LispLord of COM. They say the best way to learn
> something is to teach it. And then the next time I rag on him for not
> contributing to Lisp he can go upside my head with that.
>
> :)
>
> kt

I'll write it for the Cookbook.  It would be a good intro to the other
guys here at work anyway. :)