From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Paul Graham's Road to Lisp!
Check it out: http://alu.cliki.net/pgrtl

Confirmed by email from Paul.

If you guys thought I was unbearable before, with McCarthy on my laptop
and Graham in my survey...fuggedaboutit!

Burst of other survey additions as well, now just nine names away from
One Hundred.

go lisp go.

--
http://tilton-technology.com
What?! You are a newbie and you haven't answered my:

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Re: Paul Graham's Road to Lisp!
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Check it out: http://alu.cliki.net/pgrtl

That now links to:

    http://alu.cliki.net/Paul%20Graham's%20Road%20to%20Lisp

I hadn't noticed that (of course) cliki then listed this august entry as
no more than pgrtl.

hmmm, maybe I have been presumptuous. Mr Graham has made his preference
for short names clear. Doh!

:)

kenny

From: Ivan Toshkov
Kenny Tilton wrote:
> Check it out: http://alu.cliki.net/pgrtl
>
> Confirmed by email from Paul.
>
> If you guys thought I was unbearable before, with McCarthy on my laptop
> and Graham in my survey...fuggedaboutit!
>
> Burst of other survey additions as well, now just nine names away from
> One Hundred.
>
> go lisp go.

Now if only John McCarthy writes *his* road to lisp... ;)

--
Ivan Toshkov

email: ··········@last-name.org
From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: JMC meta-survey [was Re: Paul Graham's Road to Lisp!]
Ivan Toshkov wrote:
> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>> Check it out: http://alu.cliki.net/pgrtl
>>
>> Confirmed by email from Paul.
>>
>> If you guys thought I was unbearable before, with McCarthy on my
>> laptop and Graham in my survey...fuggedaboutit!
>>
>> Burst of other survey additions as well, now just nine names away from
>> One Hundred.
>>
>> go lisp go.
>>

> Now if only John McCarthy writes *his* road to lisp... ;)

Hey, now that we are fellow keyboarders, I can try asking. But he
seriously needs a different set of questions. What should we ask him?

kenny

From: David Steuber
Subject: Re: JMC meta-survey [was Re: Paul Graham's Road to Lisp!]

> Hey, now that we are fellow keyboarders, I can try asking. But he
> seriously needs a different set of questions. What should we ask him?

Ask him what the heck he was thinking!  The same could be asked of
Denis Ritche.

I sure hope I spelled enough words wrong and fudged the grammar.

--
   One Emacs to rule them all.  One Emacs to find them,
   One Emacs to take commands and to the keystrokes bind them,

All other programming languages wish they were Lisp.
From: Nils Goesche

> Ivan Toshkov wrote:
> > Now if only John McCarthy writes *his* road to lisp... ;)
>
> Hey, now that we are fellow keyboarders, I can try asking. But
> he seriously needs a different set of questions. What should we
> ask him?

I'd like to know what he thinks about the formulation that he
/discovered/ Lisp, rather than invented it.  Many mathematicians
have the same feeling about their inventions/discoveries...

Regards,
--
Nils G�sche

PGP key ID #xD26EF2A0
From: Kenny Tilton
Lessee, so far we have:

"Did you discover Lisp or invent it?"

"Why did you name it after a speech-impediment, dooming its users to an
eternity of bad jokes?"

"Someone said you still don't like sexprs. True that?"

"How much Lisp have you actually written? What apps?"

"Do you program now? What language(s)?"

"Is computer language design a serious interest, or is it just a means
to the end of doing AI?"

We also have "What were you thinking?", but I think we have to be
specific to make the questions easier to answer and thus increase the
likelihood of a reply. Willing to be mob-overruled...

kenny

From: Doug Tolton
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Lessee, so far we have:
>
> "Did you discover Lisp or invent it?"
>
> "Why did you name it after a speech-impediment, dooming its users to an
> eternity of bad jokes?"
>
> "Someone said you still don't like sexprs. True that?"
>
> "How much Lisp have you actually written? What apps?"
>
> "Do you program now? What language(s)?"
>
> "Is computer language design a serious interest, or is it just a means
> to the end of doing AI?"
>
> We also have "What were you thinking?", but I think we have to be
> specific to make the questions easier to answer and thus increase the
> likelihood of a reply. Willing to be mob-overruled...
>
> kenny

I would also like to know:

"What do you think the future holds for Lisp?"

"Do you think the programming languages of the next 50 years will be
derived from Lisp, or from a different paragidm entirely?"

"At what point did you realize Lisp was going to be a serious
programming lanuage?  More specifically when did you realize it would be
bigger than a toy programming language?"

--
Doug Tolton
(format t ···@~a~a.~a" "dtolton" "ya" "hoo" "com")
From: Bruce Nagel
In article <·····················@twister.nyc.rr.com>, Kenny Tilton wrote:
> Lessee, so far we have:

> "Did you discover Lisp or invent it?"

I have  sneaking suspicion the answer will be T.

> "Why did you name it after a speech-impediment, dooming its users to an
> eternity of bad jokes?"

Just remember: "Life ain't easy for a boy named Sue."
(or so I imagine...)

Bruce

--
·······@sdf.lonestar.org                www.not-art.org
               Habit diminishes the conscious attention
From: Sebastian Stern
"Kenny Tilton" wrote:
> Lessee, so far we have:
> [list of questions for JMC]

How about asking him whether he even _likes_ Lisp? :-) Seriously, he still
thinks s-expressions are a "disadvantage", and that "as a programming
language LISP had many limitations", etc., thus marking the beginning of the
old Lisp tradition, that is continued to this day, to criticize one's own
favorite language. :-)

Sebastian Stern
"Freedom is the freedom to say (= (+ 2 2) 4). If that is granted, all else
follows."
From: Kenny Tilton
Sebastian Stern wrote:
> "Kenny Tilton" wrote:
>
>>Lessee, so far we have:
>>[list of questions for JMC]
>

> How about asking him whether he even _likes_ Lisp? :-)

"So, do you still like Lisp?", kenny asked.
"Yep," said McCarthy.

That was while we were walking back to my laptop so he could surf the
Web. Also, at ILC2002 when Norvig was talking about Python being the
same as Lisp, McCarthy asked him if it could treat code as data, and
Norvig hit the canvas.

kenny

From: Ivan Toshkov
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Ivan Toshkov wrote:
>
>> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>>
>>> Check it out: http://alu.cliki.net/pgrtl
>>>
>>> Confirmed by email from Paul.
>>>
>>> If you guys thought I was unbearable before, with McCarthy on my
>>> laptop and Graham in my survey...fuggedaboutit!
>>>
>>> Burst of other survey additions as well, now just nine names away
>>> from One Hundred.
>>>
>>> go lisp go.
>>>

>> Now if only John McCarthy writes *his* road to lisp... ;)
>>

> Hey, now that we are fellow keyboarders, I can try asking. But he
> seriously needs a different set of questions. What should we ask him?
>
> kenny

Well, I think it'll be kinda fun to ask him the same questions.  E.g.
"When did you first try Lisp seriously, and which Lisp family member was
it?"  What he will answer to that? :)

--
Ivan Toshkov

email: ··········@last-name.org
From: Ralph Richard Cook
It's a good thing he didn't list "Paul Graham" as one of the ways he
came to Lisp - probably would have caused the CLiki to stack overflow
due to the infinite recursion.

From: Kenny Tilton
Ralph Richard Cook wrote:
> It's a good thing he didn't list "Paul Graham" as one of the ways he
> came to Lisp - probably would have caused the CLiki to stack overflow
> due to the infinite recursion.

I had to clean up his entry and was going to do exactly that, add him as
  (obviously!) something that led him to Lisp, precisely for the
self-reference value, but I decided I better let him write his own response.

:(

kenny