From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: ILC2003 Moment: McCarthy Kills Kenny! Omigod!
I tried to suck McCarthy into some language-war-speak and got seriously
snuffed for my trouble. He replied indirectly that it would be nice if
new schools of thought in AI did not start out by trying to kill (his
word) the other research programmes with "it's been twenty years and
they still haven't...".

OK, I'll take the JVM uninstall out of my Cells installer script. Damn.

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com
What?! You are a newbie and you haven't answered my:
From: Anton van Straaten
Subject: Re: ILC2003 Moment: McCarthy Kills Kenny! Omigod!
Kenny Tilton wrote:
> I tried to suck McCarthy into some language-war-speak and got seriously
> snuffed for my trouble. He replied indirectly that it would be nice if
> new schools of thought in AI did not start out by trying to kill (his
> word) the other research programmes with "it's been twenty years and
> they still haven't...".

To expand on this, I think McCarthy's point was something to the effect that
having cast doubt on one's predecessor (I think he also used the term
"assassinate"), the logic that is supposed to apply is that the new,
untested proposal must therefore be the right answer.

That's when I piped up to point out that this was the same logic used to
elect the new governor of California.  McCarthy then pointed out that in
that particular case, Gray Davis deserved his fate.  Someone else's question
then prompted the reply that in fact, McCarthy had voted for Schwarzenegger,
which raised a big laugh from the audience.

Anton