From: ·······@ziplip.com
Subject: Re: BIG successes of Lisp (was ...)
> Scott McKay wrote:
>
>> <·······@ziplip.com> wrote in message
>> ·············································@ziplip.com...
>>
>>>In the context of LATEX, some Pythonista asked what the big
>>>successes of Lisp were. I think there were at least three big
>>>successes.
>>

>>>a. AFAIK Orbitz frequently has to be shut down for maintenance
>>>(read "full garbage collection" - I'm just guessing: with
>>>generational garbage collection, you still have to do full
>>>garbage collection once in a while, and on a system like that
>>>it can take a while)
>>>

>> Not true.  The servers do get restarted a couple of times
>> a day  to get new data loads, which are huge.

How pathetic. "Server farm" notwithstanding, the WHOLE WEB
SITE gets closed for prolonged periods of time. For comparison,
Travelocity and Expedia are up 24/7.

From: Don Geddis
Subject: Re: BIG successes of Lisp
·······@ziplip.com writes:
[...about Orbitz.com...]
> How pathetic. "Server farm" notwithstanding, the WHOLE WEB
> SITE gets closed for prolonged periods of time. For comparison,
> Travelocity and Expedia are up 24/7.

Evidence?  It's always been up when I've tried to use it.  How do you know
the real availability numbers for Orbitz vs. the others?  Surely you understand
that we're not just going to take your word for it.

I'd be shocked if a web-based real business like Orbitz wasn't up 24/7.

        -- Don
Don Geddis                  http://don.geddis.org/               ···@geddis.org
People ask me what folly is.  I'll tell you what folly is.  Is it a kind of
candy?
	-- Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey [1999]
From: Jon S. Anthony
·······@ziplip.com writes:

> > Scott McKay wrote:

> >> Not true.  The servers do get restarted a couple of times
> >> a day  to get new data loads, which are huge.
>
> How pathetic. "Server farm" notwithstanding, the WHOLE WEB
> SITE gets closed for prolonged periods of time.

Sounds broken to me - irrespective of any language used.

> For comparison, Travelocity and Expedia are up 24/7.

The sad thing is this is about the only thing they have going for
them.

/Jon