From: Jonathan.Bailleul
Subject: Help: ilisp 5.12 compilation (and run) problem!
Dear All,

I'm using emacs 21.3.2 on solaris, and can unfortunately not compile
ilisp 5.12 (latest version) anymore.
When I execute make, here is how it ends:

Wrote
/users/these/bailleul/emacs/PACKAGES/ilisp-5.12.0/ilisp-scheme-easy-menu.elc
/users/these/bailleul/emacs/PACKAGES/ilisp-5.12.0/ilisp-scheme-easy-menu.elc...
Wrote /users/these/bailleul/emacs/PACKAGES/ilisp-5.12.0/ilisp-imenu.elc
/users/these/bailleul/emacs/PACKAGES/ilisp-5.12.0/ilisp-imenu.elc...
Wrote
/users/these/bailleul/emacs/PACKAGES/ilisp-5.12.0/extra/hyperspec.elc
/users/these/bailleul/emacs/PACKAGES/ilisp-5.12.0/extra/hyperspec.elc...
Wrote /users/these/bailleul/emacs/PACKAGES/ilisp-5.12.0/extra/cltl2.elc
/users/these/bailleul/emacs/PACKAGES/ilisp-5.12.0/extra/cltl2.elc...
Wrote /users/these/bailleul/emacs/PACKAGES/ilisp-5.12.0/ilisp.elc
Done compiling and loading ILISP.
Fatal error (11).Segmentation Fault
make: *** [compile] Error 139

Anyway, I can load ilisp under emacs, but as soon as I type:
>(load
, emacs freezes! (the same for any other command)

This is not the first time I'm compiling ilisp (I decided to do so at
the same time I adopted the latest cmucl version), but I never ran into
such a problem! Any help would be appreciated!

In advance, thanks for your help.

--
-----------------------------------
Jonathan BAILLEUL, Doctorant

From: John Thingstad
Subject: Re: Help: ilisp 5.12 compilation (and run) problem!
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:52:13 +0200, Jonathan.Bailleul
<········@greyc.ismra.fr> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm using emacs 21.3.2 on solaris, and can unfortunately not compile
> ilisp 5.12 (latest version) anymore.
>
> Anyway, I can load ilisp under emacs, but as soon as I type:
>> (load
> , emacs freezes! (the same for any other command)
>
> In advance, thanks for your help.

Think I encountered that problem with Corman Lisp.
ILisp is trying to get the arguments for the function and display them in
a window and fails.
This is why it hangs.
I fixed it like this:

(add-hook 'ilisp-load-hook
           '(lambda ()
	     ;; Stop ilisp from using popup windows for lisp return values
	     (setf lisp-no-popper t)

	     ;; this cludge stops it from popping up windows
	     ;; every time I press space in cormanlisp mode
	     (setf ilisp-*arglist-message-lisp-space-p* nil)
))

see if that solves the problem.

From: Jonathan.Bailleul
John Thingstad wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:52:13 +0200, Jonathan.Bailleul
> <········@greyc.ismra.fr> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I'm using emacs 21.3.2 on solaris, and when I decided to update my cmucl 18c to the latest version (uploaded this Monday), I realized I couldn't unfortunately  > > compile ilisp 5.12 (latest version) anymore:

Wrote /users/these/bailleul/emacs/PACKAGES/ilisp-5.12.0/ilisp.elc
Done compiling and loading ILISP.
Fatal error (11).Segmentation Fault
make: *** [compile] Error 139

> > Anyway, I can load ilisp under emacs, but as soon as I type:
> prompt> (load
> > , emacs freezes! (the same for any other command)
> >
> > In advance, thanks for your help.
> >

> Think I encountered that problem with Corman Lisp.
> ILisp is trying to get the arguments for the function and display them in
> a window and fails.
> This is why it hangs.
> I fixed it like this:
>
> (add-hook 'ilisp-load-hook
>            '(lambda ()
>              ;; Stop ilisp from using popup windows for lisp return values
>              (setf lisp-no-popper t)
>
>              ;; this cludge stops it from popping up windows
>              ;; every time I press space in cormanlisp mode
>              (setf ilisp-*arglist-message-lisp-space-p* nil)
> ))
>
> see if that solves the problem.

Yes it does! Thanks for the help.

I still wonder why the compilation error occured, though.
Even though I don't remember how, I once managed to compile 5.12 version
(maybe on another emacs?) and I found some sparcf files in that
directory, that unfortunately my new cmucl refuses. I remember that, on
this cmucl/ilisp version, it managed to look for the function arguments
and display them in the minibuffer.

If some of you encountered such a problem, thanks for any help.

Anyway, I can now use my lisp system decently, so thank you again!

--