From: Guillermo Fernandez
Subject: Lisp libraries
Hi,

I'm getting interested in lisp since a while already, and the recent messages I
readed in python newsgroup maked me definitivelly curious.

But I was wandering what kind of libraries (or whatever you call it) lisp has.
Is lisp like C, where you have to code (almost) everythong from scratch? Or is
there 'libraries' like in python where a network connection or an xml parser is
as simple as finding the good library?

Thanks!

Guille

From: Eugene Zaikonnikov
Subject: Re: Lisp libraries
Guillermo Fernandez <···················@epfl.ch> wrote in message news:<········@epflnews.epfl.ch>...
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting interested in lisp since a while already, and the recent messages I
> readed in python newsgroup maked me definitivelly curious.
>
> But I was wandering what kind of libraries (or whatever you call it) lisp has.
> Is lisp like C, where you have to code (almost) everythong from scratch? Or is
> there 'libraries' like in python where a network connection or an xml parser is
> as simple as finding the good library?

There's a number of Lisp library packages floating around; check out
http://www.cliki.net. Some of them are included in CCLAN (a
distribution system somewhat similar to CPAN). If you run Debian,
'apt-cache search "^cl-"' will list some of them.

--
  Eugene
From: Marco Antoniotti
Guillermo Fernandez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm getting interested in lisp since a while already, and the recent
> messages I readed in python newsgroup maked me definitivelly curious.
>
> But I was wandering what kind of libraries (or whatever you call it)
> lisp has. Is lisp like C, where you have to code (almost) everythong
> from scratch? Or is there 'libraries' like in python where a network
> connection or an xml parser is as simple as finding the good library?

You just need to find a good library.  And CL libraries are usually of
much better quality than what you find in the scripting language world.

www.cliki.net is a good starting point.

Cheers
--
Marco
From: Pascal Costanza
Guillermo Fernandez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm getting interested in lisp since a while already, and the recent
> messages I readed in python newsgroup maked me definitivelly curious.
>
> But I was wandering what kind of libraries (or whatever you call it)
> lisp has. Is lisp like C, where you have to code (almost) everythong
> from scratch? Or is there 'libraries' like in python where a network
> connection or an xml parser is as simple as finding the good library?

I don't think you have to code everything from scratch in C. There are
several libraries out there that you can use, and compiler/IDE vendors
come with useful sets of libraries.

That's the same with Common Lisp. While the Common Lisp standard already
defines a large library of useful stuff, you still need more for
particular domains. You have to check the offerings of the various
Common Lisp vendors to see what implementation best suits your needs.

Most commercial vendors have good non-commercial editions and provide a
lot of convenient libraries. For example, you might want to check out
Allegro CL, LispWorks or Corman Lisp. (If you need an IDE, on Windows
you can try Allegro, LispWorks and Corman Lisp, on Mac OS X and Linux
you can try LispWorks and Macintosh Common Lisp.)

You can also try out one of the various open source implementations, but
they generally require some more work on your side to get a convenient
working environment.

See http://alu.cliki.net/Implementation for a list of Common Lisp
implementations.

Pascal
From: Daniel Barlow
Pascal Costanza <········@web.de> writes:

> You can also try out one of the various open source implementations,
> but they generally require some more work on your side to get a
> convenient working environment.

Indeed.  On which note, thanks to everyone who filled out the cirCLe
CD survey at http://web.metacircles.com/circle_cd (cirCLe is a
vapourware well-integrated Lisp environment based on SBCL and Linux,
and now I will restrain myself from unsolicited adverts for it for a
little while longer).  Everyone on the mailing list will be getting a
summary of findings, within the next couple of days.

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Matthias
Pascal Costanza <········@web.de> writes:

> You can also try out one of the various open source implementations,
> but they generally require some more work on your side to get a
> convenient working environment.

If you want to go with open source CL implementations you should
consider trying the Debian GNU/Linux distribution.  Besides being a
good Linux distrib overall it offers many Lisp packages which are very
easy to install.
From: Paolo Amoroso
Guillermo Fernandez writes:

> But I was wandering what kind of libraries (or whatever you call it)
> lisp has. Is lisp like C, where you have to code (almost) everythong

You may check CLiki:

  http://www.cliki.net

Paolo
--